Do your job, please!

I have been reading newspapers since I was about 14 years old. Over the past 40 years I have read one constant complaint in the court pages, the issue of lost files.  I do not know what file storage and retrieval equipment was available to the prosecutor’s office 40 years ago, but how is it possible that in 2018, files can still go missing?

Why can’t the files be stored on a computer, or on an external hard-drive if security is a concern. Why can’t they be updated as necessary as the case is investigated, and then simply printed when needed by the court.  How can files go missing in 2018?

The real question is: Why is the prosecutor’s office so badly managed that files can go missing in 2018?  Even if the police reports are handwritten, and photographs are developed on photographic paper, these documents can easily be scanned into a computer. If the prosecutor’s office does not have a scanner, then there are cheap scan apps on smartphones that can do an acceptable job. I do not understand how files can go missing in 2018. It simply makes no rational sense.

Even if the physical file were misplaced, or removed, the digital copy on the computer, or stored on the Internet, can be accessed, printed and taken to court.  How can any prosecutor stand up in court in 2018, and give the inexcusable excuse that the file is missing?  It takes significantly more effort to actually lose a file, than to store it on a computer and print it when it is needed. How is this excuse even tolerated in our courts?

Since the obvious problem is one of poor management, the prosecutor’s office needs to implement the international customer-focused management standard, ISO 9001, with dispatch.  The customers of the court may be languishing at HMP Dodds Prison on remand for years, while perhaps the simplest of all court problems remains unsolvable by those responsible for solving crimes.

The implementation of the ISO 9001 quality management standard across all Government services, will signal the end of the: lost documents, long time-wasting lines, wasted supplies, unproductivity, inefficiency, and the high cost of doing business with the Government of Barbados. A Solutions Barbados administration is committed to implementing this customer-focused management system immediately upon taking office, for the benefit of us all.

Clearly, losing files for at least 40 years, when the solution is so easily affordable and within easy reach, with almost no effort required to effectively address this simple matter, has to rank as one of the highest forms of mismanagement imaginable.  Can somebody please do their job?

Source: Grenville Phillips II is a chartered structural engineer and the founder of Solutions Barbados.  He can be reached at

8 Responses to Do your job, please!

1. hcalndre March 7, 2018 at 1:19 pm

Lost Files? Come on man, Gourt files are lost because of who are the person or persons involved, to end the practice, have those responsible face prosecution and you will see that they are no more lost files. Court files are not the only important ——- that gone missing in Barbados.

2. fedup March 7, 2018 at 1:31 pm

A bank lost my mortgage file. Will not be paying aniother cent.

3. W.A.G March 7, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Files with civil or criminal implications with personalities such as Ram Merchandani, Sulieman Esuf have gone missing in the pass. What is the common denominator between these two [and others] – money. You don’t ever hear about a file dealing with a labourer from Cats Castle in the City or a fisherman from Vine Street going missing. Join the dots.

4. jrsmith March 7, 2018 at 3:29 pm

Isn’t this clear there is serious corruption in the court system………..That’s why its so easy to commit crime in Barbados , certain people know who to look for………

5. jrsmith March 7, 2018 at 3:33 pm

The media world is open to they views on Barbados , when they read or vision news , how police files going missing which is a regular occurrence ………..

6. jrsmith March 7, 2018 at 3:36 pm

Everything go missing in Barbados , lots of voters haven’t seen the MP they voted for in a decade………..

7. Tony Waterman March 7, 2018 at 4:33 pm

Come on folks, Court Files, Bank Files,are lost here in North America, and they have been instances of the same thin happening in other European and British Jurisdictions, while not Condoning this Cancer, it is unfair to Blame on the DPP, and nOT to put the Blame square where it should be put, on the Governments Past and Present, and on our Omnipotent Chief Justice, who was BROUGHT here by his Schiool Mate to clear up these same problems and to institute a proper system, NONE of which he has done so far diring his tenure.
    In 2016 i went to the new Palatial Court Building in White Park Road to get a Birth Certificate, NOTHING in that Department is Computerised, i had to wait until a worker searched through some HUGE Registers (Books) to find my Information. this is as far behind the times as anyone can get.
    Governments ahve to do something about Putting Technology to Work on our behalf, and stop the foolishness about Keeping Jobs, otherwise we are going to be so far behind the rest of the World, that there will be NO JOBS for anyone.
    No Internation Businesses will waits weeks or Months on us for Information that should be on our Fingertips, they will move on to destinations that are moving with the Times.

@hcalndre!!!That perhaps happens occasionally, but the main problem here is “INCOMPETENCE” and the Party being put before the People.

WE NEED to change the Political Culture in Barbados, we need to BAN Political Parties, and start Electing People on their Merits.Until we become TRUELY Indepentend and shed ourselves of the Westminister Style of Government, we will remain behind everyone else.

8. Sheron Inniss March 7, 2018 at 5:53 pm

@ Tony Waterman. You are on the ball. I was robbed of my money at the White Pk institution. They and immigration claimed that my affidavit to correct my name was illegal, null and void after more than 20 years. To cut a long story short I paid the fee and returned on the given date to collect my birth certificate only to be told the system down. I was having none of that. I behave good good good. I let them know that fountain pen and paper still worked and then the lady spelt my mother’s name incorrectly and had the gall to look me in the face and tell me I am wrong. By the time I get back to immigration the AG was there sitting across from me. I looked him square in the face and pretty much told him what I thought about the department and asked him if someone had given him a message about me.

I too believe all independent candidates is the way to go and I want them to sign a document forfeiting big pay checks, exorbitant pensions and so much more. Then and only then will I be satisfied.