United Kingdom – Girl, five, died after doctor turned her away for being late

NEWPORT – A five-year-old girl with a history of asthma was turned away from seeing her doctor because she was “late” – and died that night in hospital.

An inquest heard Ellie-May Clark was not seen by Grange Clinic in Newport despite having an emergency appointment because it operated a “ten minute rule”.

A chance to “provide potentially life-saving treatment was missed” said the coroner, giving a narrative verdict.

After the hearing in Newport, Ellie-May’s family said “she was let down”.

Ellie-May’s mother Shanice Clark told the inquest in Newport she requested a home visit when her daughter began wheezing and was unable to walk home from Malpas Court Primary School in January 2015.

Instead, she was offered an emergency slot for 25 minutes later. She said she told the receptionist she might be late as she had to arrange childcare and catch a bus.

Clark said when she arrived at the surgery in the Malpas area of Newport she was five minutes late for her 5 p.m. appointment but had spoken to the receptionist by 5:10 p.m.

But this time was disputed by former receptionist Ann Jones who told the inquest she believed it was 18 minutes past five when the doctor was informed that Ellie-May had arrived.

The child’s mother was then told by GP Dr Joanne Rowe, a partner in the surgery and its lead for child safeguarding, that she would have to return in the morning.

However, the coroner heard this was the first time the rule had been imposed on an emergency appointment.

Clark said she was “angry” and “upset” when they were asked to come back. She said Ellie asked: “Why won’t the doctor see me?”

Dr Rowe did not ask the reason behind Ellie-May’s emergency appointment, or look into her medical notes before refusing to see her.

The hearing was told Clark continued to check on her daughter at home every ten to 15 minutes and at about 10:30 p.m. she was coughing.

Clark said Ellie-May then fell off the bed and was turning blue. She was taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport by ambulance but died.

The inquest was told that the cause of death was bronchial asthma.

The family released a statement and were “disappointed that a finding of neglect was not reached”.

“The family acknowledge an apology from Dr Rowe, especially as they have been waiting in excess of three years for an outcome and to receive answers to their questions,” said their lawyer Justin Chisnall.

The coroner will write a report to the clinic and the local health board to address the lack of an effective and robust care plan for Ellie-May.

A spokesman for Aneurin Bevan University Health Board said it would be “inappropriate to comment whilst we await the coroner’s report”.

Source: (BBC)

2 Responses to United Kingdom – Girl, five, died after doctor turned her away for being late

  1. Othneal February 27, 2018 at 8:53 am

    In January, in the City of Leicester UK a Junior hospital Doctor was charged with “neglegant manslaughter” after an error of judgement, made under extremely difficult circumstances, that allegedly contributed to the demise of a six year old boy. She was found guilty and struck off the Medical Register. The case was conducted in the glare of publicity and elicited calls for retribution from the child’s mother.
    Now contrast that case with the one reported above. One is black and the other is white.
    Dr.Bawa-Garba has been strongly supported by her peers and is appealing her case with crowd funding following a campaign for justice.

  2. Ellen Hanley March 4, 2018 at 4:23 pm

    Yes indeed, Dr Bawa-Garba lost her appeal to the High Court and remains struck off with a criminal record. This family had to fight every step of the way for 7 years! Karlysle Bryan, of mixed race and of Barbadian heritage died of natural causes contributed to by neglect at Whipps Cross Hospital, Barts NHS Trust, in east London on 21st October 2014 and we are still fighting for justice. The Nursing and Midwifery Council heard the complaint against the nurse and upheld it with pathetic sanctions on her practice for 6 months. The General Medical Council decided there was no case to answer to for the doctor, they said ‘serious mistakes were made but not serious enough to warrant any action’. The Metropolitan Police and the CPS decided the level of neglect did not meet the criteria for criminal charges. It’s clearly a post code lottery when it comes to justice in the UK!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *