Restaurateur and vendor in row over beach use

An escalating row between a vendor and a restaurant over the use of the beach at Fitts Village, St James has left a bad taste in the mouth of at least one visitor who was caught in the crossfire.

Beach vendor Lavonne Alleyne, who last year accused rangers from the National Conservation Commission (NCC) of harassment and victimization, is now accusing the nearby Il Tempio Italian restaurant of virtually kicking sand in her face and trying to force her out of business, a charge owner Anna Pirrelli denies.

Owner of Il Tempio Anna Pirrelli has described beach vendor Lavonne Alleyne as a troublemaker.

Alleyne, who rents beach chairs to tourists while also selling handmade jewellery, said restaurant staff had been making false complaints against her to police in an effort to get her removed from the spot from which she has been plying her trade for over six years.

Beach vendor Lavonne Alleyne showing her NCC operational licence.

And, she told Barbados TODAY, police officers have bought Il Tempio’s story that her chairs have been blocking the restaurant, and have ordered her to vacate the spot.

“I don’t set up in front the restaurant, and even though I explained to the police that my clients are not blocking the restaurant they moved me and said they would hit me with the NCC Act and that I will have to move my chairs altogether,” Alleyne complained.

“My chairs were never in front the restaurant blocking her business,” she said of Pirrelli. “What I did is to move the chairs from alongside her place. I shifted my business totally to give her space for guests.”

The disgruntled vendor said her business was dependent on tourists enjoying their holiday on the beach, and this episode had cost her several clients.

“This really affects my business in a big way. People come here not only for the beach and the sand but to see me and to give me business. They know I am a small business person struggling out here. It makes me feel very bad. I tried to talk to the police but they dismissed me,” Alleyne said, adding that while she had a licence to operate on any local beach, the restaurant owner was making life difficult for her.

“This is not right, but chairs are on the beach where my licence gives me permission. It is not good for tourism. This is not the first set of people that the restaurant owner has run tourists from here. About two weeks ago the owner of Il Tempio moved some tourist from the beach just because they were sitting in my chairs, and that is not fair because Barbados is for everyone,” she stressed.

Among those ordered out of Alleyne’s chairs was Canadian visitor Jim Krocko, who said he was uncomfortable with the entire situation.

Canadian visitor Jim Krocko is not happy about the situation.

Krocko described an episode where “we were sitting by the palm trees and the owner of the restaurant said we had to move our chairs”.

He said Pirrelli became aggressive after he protested that the beach was public and he would not leave.

“The next thing I know the police came over they spoke with [Alleyne] and said we are allowed to sit there but not on [Alleyne’s] chairs.

“It makes me feel very uncomfortable. We come to Barbados because of the people . . . .The people here treat us so wonderfully, so this is very distasteful. You come to Barbados to relax not to be involved in any war. We love Barbados so it won’t discourage us, but we consider that stupid,” Krocko told Barbados TODAY.

Tirrelli has dismissed the allegations, stopping just short of describing Alleyne as a troublemaker.

The Il Tempio owner told Barbados TODAY she had secured permission from the NCC to place chairs at the front of the property for the use of guests.

However, she said Alleyne “puts her chairs in the same area as ours and when we put our chairs down she moves them.

“We don’t want the trouble, but she gives us trouble everyday. We just want to be able to run our business. She has permission, but not for the entire beach,” Pirrelli explained.

Meantime, NCC General Manager Keith Neblett said that only the state agency could remove vendors who have been given licences to operate on the beach.

“When we issue licences for the beaches in certain allocated spaces no other entity can move vendors. I am not aware of the particular situation, but no one has the right to tell anyone to move chairs once it is on a public beach. I will have to investigate it. Once I look at the situation I will see, but it is a little strange to me,” Neblett said.

33 Responses to Restaurateur and vendor in row over beach use

1. Jennifer February 21, 2018 at 10:47 pm

This again.

• Ras February 22, 2018 at 8:42 am

Canadian visitor Jim Krocko tell your story to Travel Advisor

• Big Man February 22, 2018 at 8:49 am

Where is Mia Mottley, she say she supporting Vendors
        Mia go and and Rub Beach vendor Lavonne Alleyne shoulder if you mean what you say and really say what you mean.

I waiting to see if Mia real or is fake News she spreading to win Election

2. jrsmith February 22, 2018 at 6:32 am

Now see how our police operate , cant expect anything different they are showing they colours …….. That’s why you see how lots of people in Barbados is protected ….
    How could our bajan sister get justice , lets see who have the balls to take up her case ………….
    My take I wouldn’t expect anything different when it comes to black bajans against black bajans…………

• Mark My Word February 22, 2018 at 9:07 am

Andrew Pilgrim, David Comissiong, Mia Mottley somebody please help Beach vendor Lavonne Alleyne

The Ill Tempered Italian restaurant and it’s Owner Anna Tirrelli want to take over the Beach

Let thee Beach Vendor rent she chairs, The Ill Tempered Italian restaurant and it’s Owner Anna Tirrelli should stick to preparing proper food

Food is your Business
      Renting chairs is the Beach Vendor Business stop the Rot

3. Saga Boy February 22, 2018 at 6:41 am

There should be a clear procedure for handling these issues. The matter should first be referred to the NCC and or Ministry which issued the license.

4. Saga Boy February 22, 2018 at 7:00 am

Something seems to be wrong. Perhaps we are not getting the whole picture. Time for BT to investigate this matter more and hear from the Police and NCC.

5. Tee White February 22, 2018 at 7:35 am

Lavonne Alleyne: They know I am a small business person struggling out here

NCC General Manager Keith Neblett: no one has the right to tell anyone to move chairs once it is on a public beach

Lavonne Alleyne: I don’t set up in front the restaurant, and even though I explained to the police that my clients are not blocking the restaurant they moved me and said they would hit me with the NCC Act and that I will have to move my chairs altogether

Barbados 2018!!!! SMH

6. Brad Brown February 22, 2018 at 8:15 am

On vacation I prefer the small business to spend my vacation dollars. It appears iltempio is a restaurant owned by non native Bababians. Please don’t let outsiders run off the small local business persons

7. Donild Trimp February 22, 2018 at 8:50 am

She has permission, but not for the entire beach,” Tirrelli explained.

What? Listen here Tirrelli, this is Barbados not Italy or wherever the hell you originated from.

The beaches of Barbados belongs to Barbadians and you and your ilk are not going to change that.

To the RBPF and Typee Griffith, you guys make one step forward and two steps backwards.

How the hell you see it fit to order a native Barbadian with a license from the NCC to ply her trade on a beach in Barbados to remove her chairs from any location on the beach?

Why, why, Typee? You all have to get this inferiority complex of white is always right out of your system.

• jennifer February 22, 2018 at 10:18 am

Well spoken. This people is trained to serve and protect so called white people.

• Tee White February 22, 2018 at 10:51 am

@Donild Trimp You nailed it.

8. Mark My Word February 22, 2018 at 8:53 am

Barbados is now a Police State,
    Police harassing Canadian visitors another Advisory coming soon
    Canadians beware

9. seagul February 22, 2018 at 9:11 am

We need the Mighty Gabby on this, Jack Voice. Where is Gabby–come forward.

10. Atman February 22, 2018 at 10:12 am

These RH Italians expect to come bout hay and run local vendors off the beach? …and we local police upholding that bullcrap? Things getting real sick bout hay in trute. If Owen was still PM I sure he wudda set matters straight just like he did at Mullins years ago. Chuuuupse!!

• jennifer February 22, 2018 at 10:29 am

Well said. And I blame every system in Barbados for the demise of this people. This people is so torn, disbanded and peeled as a people. The police and government look black but they are actually working for the minority.

11. Tee White February 22, 2018 at 10:48 am

Barbados and Tourism – the international tour operators, airline companies, foreign owned hotels, restaurants and bars taking the lion’s share, leaving the crumbs for Bajans to scrabble for. Now even the crumbs we can’t get………….

• jennifer February 22, 2018 at 11:09 am

So who is at fault after 51yrs of independence.

• jennifer February 22, 2018 at 11:16 am

Throw in gas stations, supermarkets, insurance companies, car dealers, plantation lands, stores, banks, etc. Mind you this people are very happy with the crumbs and their education their leaders provided.

12. Ralph w Talma February 22, 2018 at 12:10 pm

It would appear to me that the owner of ILTEMPIO does have temper, but he is using it on the wrong person. The young lady is plying her lawful trade and should not have been moved on, furthermore, we owe an apology to the Canadian visitor. It is about time the police were reminded of their duty to uphold the law. I lived in Naples for 2 years (CINCSOUTH) and her behaviour does not surprise me. So, let us hope Mr Neblett sorts it out quickly and publishes an information sheet to all owners of beachfront outlets to the effect that his permits are sacrosanct and cannot be disobeyed by said owners/operators. QED.

13. Dick Tracy February 22, 2018 at 12:50 pm

All access, and all beaches in Barbados are free to everyone. if a person, or business is licensed to operate their business on the beach then they have the right to operate there, without interference from anyone, not even the police unless a crime has been committed. The vendor has the same rights as the restaurant since they both hold licenses.

Also a anyone; local or tourist can decide who to rent from if they so decide, otherwise they can plant themselves anywhere on the beach without interference from either vendor, or resturantier.

As a caveat, no one can block beach access!

14. Belfast February 22, 2018 at 1:03 pm

Dear Miss , you need to employ a person to manage your business who is not going to be hassled, preferably a person from College Savannah or Martins Bay.

15. Celly February 22, 2018 at 2:59 pm

I find this particularly troubling. Is the restaurant also in the chair rental business??!!! Leave the woman alone let her rent her chairs and let the restaurant focus on selling food. Big business cannot take over everything. Something must be left for the locals (even having to use the word “left” as in leftovers brings bile to my throat.) The restaurant should find a way to work with this vendor. To the vendor – if this behavior on the part of the restaurant continues, get a big placard stating that the restaurant is unkind to locals. Publicize how they are treating you. Speak up loud and often!!!

16. Celly February 22, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Anybody that stands up for themselves is a troublemaker.

17. Il Tempio Restaurant February 22, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Mrs.Lavonne Alleyne was running the beach in front of our Restaurant until few very horrible episodes forced us to ask the permission to NCC to place our chairs in front of our propriety only for the use of our customers.We lost clients because of her bad attitude to ask for the chairs rent money and two years ago our restaurant was almost burned because someone burned all her chairs and belonging very close to our bar.
    The Police of Holetown after this episode asked her to move far from us and she did only for a few days.
    After the few days she started again,place her chairs in front of our Restaurant shouting and screaming all the time if we complaining about her tables placed in the entrance of our bar.
    Only for this reason we applied for the permission to place our chairs not to rent but just to let our customers use them.
    Since we got a permission her attitude became more aggressive and she was coursing us also in front of our customers.
    Until one day she place her chairs in front of our restaurant chained around a palm tree and if we place our chairs she was removed our to place hers.
    We did several complains to NCC and to the Police Station of Holetown just to make her respect our permission and allow us to place our chairs and two days ago a Police Officer invited her to move her chairs from the area we supposed to use.
    The only way Mrs.Alletyine had to change the reality of the facts was to call the Barbados Today and playing victim of something that has only to do with her bad attitude and not with us.
    We will never have any conversation with her and of course we will never touch her chairs.Sergent Boyce of the Holetown Police Station invite her to move her chairs as she did immediately but as soon the Officers left she called the Barbados Today to give a version totally fake of the event.
    Today despite the invitation of the Holetown Police Officer that she apparentely accepted she placed her chairs again in front of our propriety removing our chairs.
    All our staff members and customers well know what she is doing to us because she cannot accept that Fitts Village Beach is not belong to her and the fact that we have a permission made her troubling us on the daily basis.
    Did you find this right??? This is the truth and has nothing to do with the color of the skin or with anything else so please be so kind to watch the facts and not the lies.Thanks Il Tempio Team

So please instead to see only one side of the story thinking that just because we are not Barbadian by birth but we live here from 1995,see how big is the Fitts Village area where she operate and
    how small is the area in front of our propriety where we would like to place our chairs as our permission issued in May 2017 supposed to allow to us

• David Brathwaite February 23, 2018 at 1:56 pm

@Il Tempio Restaurant,

You licence to place chairs on the public beach in front of your business does not negate Ms. Alleyne’s licence to place her chairs on the said location.

In fact, I would think that because her license preceded yours, she has a stronger claim than you to that space.

When you are allowed to come and set up business in someone’s country, you should be glad to develop friendly relations with the locals. You could have tried to develop a business partnership with Ms. Alleyne, whereby she could have provided chairs for your guests instead of trying to cut her off.

You still have an opportunity to do the right thing.

18. Chucky February 22, 2018 at 10:38 pm

As a traveller as I am I have to pass by many places and people and I am totally confused as to what ill tempered ignorant Italian restaurantar have to do with the beach c I d chucky

19. Chucky February 22, 2018 at 10:54 pm

Please leave man or woman to eat bread when you have a restaurant that is so far up there own back side they can’t see the front then maybe it time to give up it ain’t CIN cin I know I have eaten there I mean ill tempered only joking I would rather eat some where that has class not ignorance like the cliff like she should jump off .a long time visitor to fitts village and your local vendors

20. Gypsy c February 22, 2018 at 11:40 pm

As a long time visitor to fitts village and the good country of Barbados I find it very disturbing that a restaurant that has never provided chairs to its small cliente all of a sudden has the right to put out chairs on the beach and ask long time visitors to move there chairs from what is a public beach as is all of barbados.a very sad state of affairs and to bring police to ask the long time visitor to move after 8 years of support to the local economy quite disgraful

21. Adriano bascombe February 23, 2018 at 12:44 am

IN my opinion both parties left a bad taste on the whole one as established business owner and the other as small business owner trying to be established but may going about things in the wrong way and the one that is established handling things also wrong let’s hope they get it right in the end of the whole drama it’s the tourists that will feel it and by extension both parties will loose out as well

22. Jim Hunt February 25, 2018 at 4:31 pm

As a clarification, Ms. Alleyne chairs were NEVER chained to a tree in front of il Tiempio, the tree in question is on the property adjacent to the restaurant. Secondly if the beaches are in fact public why can one vendor monopolize a section of the beach. Thirdly we arrive at the beach at 7 am and the restaurant does not open till much later, how then can Ms. Alleyne be moving chairs when they are already set up. Additionally we are talking about one chair not 30 or 40 chairs and this chair was 3 ft over the magical line. Finally in the 8 trips we have had the pleasure of visiting this wonderful island we have never seen Ms. Alleyne be abusive to anyone. The solution seems to lie with the NCC they have ultimate control and need to step in.

23. Jim February 25, 2018 at 4:47 pm

As a clarification to this issue. First of all the tree in question where the 2 chairs are chained is not in front of the restaurant but in front of the adjacent property. Secondly we arrive at the beach normally by 7 am and the restaurant does not open till much later why then would there be a need to move the restaurant chairs, there is none. Thirdly the issue as we observed was that one chair was 3 whole ft . over the magical line.
    Finally in the 8 trips that we have enjoyed to this lovely island we have never once observed Ms. Alleyene being rude or abusive. Ultimately the NCC needs to provide clear guidelines as to what the rules are. Can one individual lay claim to a section of beach in Barbados

24. kim March 5, 2018 at 2:05 pm

i have been a visitor to fitts village beach several times and always make it a point to rent a chair from miss Alleyne. i make a special trip to her beach to support her and to visit with her because she is a kind soul and a wonderful person. i keep visiting Barbados because of the warmth of the Bajan people. Lavonne is trying to make a living and she should not be continuously harrassed because this aggressive restaurant owner wants to make more money. Barbados NCC, please take care of your Bajan born citizen, not the greedy transplant from Italy. She doesnt need the money. And if anyone cares to look back a few years at TripAdvisor reviews, you will see that Lavonne did try to build a partnership with the restaurant but owner was rude as usual.