Near death

Alexa said former lodger ‘tried to kill me’ in cleaver attack

A rapid decline in the relationship between short-term roommates has left one nursing injuries and the other facing a police investigation.

Transgender Alexa Hoffmann claimed a young man for whom she had done a favour launched a nasty attack on her with a meat cleaver in the early hours of Saturday, February 18, that could easily have left her dead.

The 24-year-old Hoffmann of Kingsland, Christ Church said it all began when she performed a good deed by allowing the man into her home because he was having problems at his place of residence.

“He was a lodger in my home. An ex boyfriend of mine who knew him contacted me and asked if he could stay with me temporarily. I was told he needed to change places of abode because people were stealing his things and he doesn’t want to lose anymore of his stuff. At first I was reluctant, and he was in need, so I decided to take him in,” Hoffmann told Barbados TODAY in recalling the circumstances that led to the incident.

She said the man had agreed to make monthly financial contributions to the household, but kept his promise for just two months, and friendship went downhill from there.

She said the boarder eventually left of his own volition, but, she claimed, upon checking she discovered some of her property missing, and he had left behind some of his own belongings.

Hoffmann said she encountered her former lodger and his girlfriend near her home last Saturday morning, and her attempts to inquire about her missing belongings and to hand over his stuff turned violent.

“I came across him that morning. I also had some stuff he left behind so I tried to return his things to him and find out when he would return mine. He decided to pull a butcher’s cleaver and attack me. I was lacerated about the face and received a sore to my neck,” Hoffmann told Barbados TODAY in an interview, explaining that the young man ignored her when she asked about the missing items, which she said included a mobile phone.

This photo of transgender Alexa Hoffmann was taken before the incident.
Transgender Alexa Hoffmann showing some the injuries she suffered in the vicious attack on her with a meat cleaver.

“I went down my step [and] I approached him. We were like two houses down from where I live and he said ‘if you don’t stay away from me, you will get beat bad this evening’. I said, ‘what do you mean by that? The same time he swung around with a meat cleaver in his hand, and I had a switchblade knife in my pocket and I pulled it out. The same time his girlfriend came to stop him and he swing, miss and stroke her in her face.

“He then swing at me and I now have a laceration to my forehead, one on my nose and lip. He also injured me along my neck and shoulder. He nearly killed me,” she recalled.

Hoffman told Barbados TODAY the incident had left her upset, and she called for her attacker to be put behind bars.

“I am extremely angry; that is all I feel, anger. This was somebody I took into my home, I showed him kindness, treated him nice, and he did this to me. He disrespected me and tried to kill me.

“I want him arrested. I want him to pay the consequences for his actions. I don’t care how angry he might have been, and it turned out the cleaver he attacked me with he stole from my house as well. He cannot get away with this.”

When contacted, Public Relations Officer of the Royal Barbados Police Force Acting Inspector Roland Cobbler told Barbados TODAY lawmen were questioning 25-year-old Brandon Coward in connection with the incident.

26 Responses to Near death

1. Sherlock Holmes. February 22, 2018 at 12:15 am

How you mean she? I don’t see any she in this story Barbados Today stop this nonsense these Soy Boys want Jesus!

2. BIGSKY February 22, 2018 at 12:36 am

I believe the person probably entered the home as a lodger, not knowing that the woman was a man and after he found out,this was the result.Any man would go crazy thinking you is dealing with a female then only to find out that it is a man.A he will always be a he and a she will always be a she don’t care what you do.

• Kevin February 22, 2018 at 1:34 am

I doubt that BIG time. He knew.

3. Saga Boy February 22, 2018 at 6:14 am

I don’t wish to belittle the violence articulated in this story but it is confusing to me. Seems you have to be very certain that the person you are entertaining is the person you perceive them to be. I have heard stories of people in Barbados getting the surprise of their lives.

4. harry turnover February 22, 2018 at 6:34 am

Yes Kevin ,he knew….and the transgender probably tried to embarrassed him in front of his girlfriend.

• Atman February 22, 2018 at 9:49 am

I think that is exactly what caused all hell to break loose.

5. Sue Donym February 22, 2018 at 7:25 am

That attack was a savage response, whatever the reason.

I hope the persons commenting above won’t feel too put out if they find themselves the victim of crime or needing a public service and the public officers focus their efforts on deciding what gender a victim is.

6. archy perch February 22, 2018 at 7:30 am

Transgender; same-sex marriage; LGBT and all of that are the reasons why our society is going to hell in a hand basket. But we have not seen anything yet. Wait until after the general elections if the crooked Barbados Labour Party wins at the polls, all three of these abominations will become law and nobody will be free to voice their opposition to them. Just examine the structure of the BLP and watch the kind of people addressing political meetings on their platforms. Barbados will be sorry.

• Mark Rosmar February 22, 2018 at 8:35 am

Well, there is still time for manifestos.

• Celly February 22, 2018 at 12:38 pm

“Transgender; same-sex marriage; LGBT and all of that are the reasons why our society is going to hell in a hand basket?” I was thinking its more the economy, crime and this blasted persistent sewage issue. SMH.

• hcalndre February 22, 2018 at 4:52 pm

@archy perch; is everything straight on the other side? or both of your eyes are on the same side.

7. nanci February 22, 2018 at 7:30 am

this is not about he or she, you gonna tell me the guy that ask for a lodging didnt know the guy was a he? Barbados is a small place, everyone know everyone, or you will hear talk on the street. Apart from that, the guy needed to abide by the agreement, and that was to pay the people he ask for lodging, and buy his own food, and leave people stuff alone. Maybe the other persons put him out because he wont stop stealing, and he dont want to pay for his lodging. As long as he dont get sexually involve in the transgender affairs, he dont have to care if its a he or she, abide by the rules, otherwise get your own place.

8. Mark Rosmar February 22, 2018 at 8:36 am

Forgive me for asking but: Why is the lodger not staying with his own girlfriend?

9. Sue Donym February 22, 2018 at 9:26 am

Here come the bible thumpers despising the “sodomite” who was being a good Samaritan, offering kindness to a neighbour. Where is the rebuke for the one with little regard for life and reportedly stole?
    Sorry, which of the commandments were we keeping this week?

10. seagul February 22, 2018 at 9:38 am

@ Sue Donym, beautifully spoken word.

• Sue Donym February 22, 2018 at 9:49 am

Thank you @seagul.

11. Jennifer February 22, 2018 at 9:55 am

Stealing, murder, sodomy are all part of a long list of laws which this people are to rebuke. ALL is unrighteousness, regardless of kind intensions. All problems came upon this people not because of what they did but what they did not and continue not to do, which is upholding sin. Satan is a very obedient angel also.

12. seagul February 22, 2018 at 11:46 am

We have to be unapologetically honest, BT and the bible thumpers.

13. bk February 22, 2018 at 1:42 pm

HE tried to embarrass the man in front of his girlfriend, if he really wanted to get back his belongings he should have gone to the police.

14. Alex Alleyne February 22, 2018 at 2:07 pm

Could be a classic case of “Everything was going alright until she rolled over”.

15. Greengiant February 22, 2018 at 2:56 pm

I’ve known Alexa for a while now, regardless of what some may feel about transgender human beings. I have experienced nothing but respect, decency, a kind spirit and a most tolerant person.

I heard about this guy lodging months ago, and there was no intimate relationship or anything like some are proposing. It’s a case of taking in who you don’t know, agreements broken, dishonesty, and violence. I wish the full extent of the law is used in this case. Barbados has to be recognized as a country where the rights of all are respected, enforced, and fully understood.

16. Ossie Theophilus Moore February 22, 2018 at 3:07 pm

So Archy Perch you mean to sey dat dem got nuff transgender who out dey and got homes want a companion en wife or husband too; and matromonial ties gine bind. Wah loss! man yuh mek ma lmao!!

17. Ossie Theophilus Moore February 22, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Bur looka dem kindo tings din gine happen to de old time Queen o’ de B’s cause Eurma din gine tek no strangers in causing she did know nuff people through de Grapevine and I aint talking ‘ bout Al Gilks week end magazine line! She would get de ins and outs from de dance circuit at de Liberty or De Bamboo Bar.

18. allison archer February 22, 2018 at 9:56 pm

The correct part of speech really should be