‘I didn’t know’

Director of Ouch Boutique Grenville Ricardo Delpeache says he believed he was buying genuine PUMA products when he purchased them from store fronts in the United States.

The 44-year-old businessman of Passage Gardens, Passage Road, St Michael stuck to that position as he gave evidence today before Magistrate Graveney Bannister in his trial on charges related to selling fake PUMA items.

Delpeache is accused of selling PUMA Fenty by Rihanna Creeper Sneakers and PUMA Fenty slippers; and exposing for sale 17 Puma slippers, seven single shoes and 31 backpacks that were allegedly counterfeit in May last year.

“I only shop in store fronts [that] I believe to be registered and governed under US laws,” the boutique owner told the court today.

He explained that the 17 pairs of slippers were from a batch of two dozen which he had purchased in early 2016 for US$50 per pair. Delpeache retailed the product for BDS$200, while he bought the backpacks for $19.95 plus tax.

He further stated that he thought the products were genuine as he examined them and “they were marked PUMA”.

“I does look at the one on display before I buy them as I can only see the one on display . . . . Then I rush and pack them in the suitcase but I don’t keep the boxes,” he testified, adding that he also did not read the labels on the shoes or the bags.

When asked by the prosecutor, Acting Assistant Superintendent of Police Trevor Blackman, how he determined the products were genuine, Delpeache said: “Because the item classify the brand itself . . . . The name is marked on the item [but] I don’t look at the label.”

He was adamant that he believed he was buying genuine PUMA “because they were marked PUMA”.

“I had no training in the PUMA brand,” Delpeache added.

After hours of cross examination by the prosecutor, Delpeache’s lead attorney Satcha Kissoon submitted that the charges against his client were wrongfully brought as they should have been laid against the business and not Delpeache.

“So all those charges are wrong . . . the COP [Commissioner of Police] had to charge Ouch. There is no doubt that he bought the items through Ouch Boutique and Ouch Boutique sold them,” the lawyer said.

The defence attorney further argued that his client believed he had purchased products from places with genuine merchandise in the US and he was not an expert in picking out which shoes were fakes.

He added that his client was not a “large retailer with sophisticated knowledge of brands”, although he had been in the business for 20 years.

“You can’t punish him because he is a small retailer. He is not to know [what’s fake and what’s not] . . . . And he paid a proper price for the shoes, from a proper seller, so how should he know?

“Mr Delpeache or Ouch has an extremely good defence that the goods he purchased were genuine. The slippers sold, there is no evidence that says those slippers were counterfeit,” Kissoon added as he asked for the charges against his client to be dismissed.

However, the prosecutor was adamant that Delpeache was rightfully charged as the director of Ouch Boutique.

Magistrate Bannister is expected to make a ruling after the prosecutor’s full submissions tomorrow morning.

21 Responses to ‘I didn’t know’

1. Alex Alleyne February 19, 2018 at 11:41 pm

If they were “genuine” how could you expect to get them at that “dirt cheap” price and then soaked the consumer with those “super inflated prices”. Time to check the Broker(s) cos as you say, “you didn’t know”.

2. Nathaniel Samuels February 20, 2018 at 2:45 am

That is the crux of the matter. You didn’t know but yet you were prepared to inflate prices to reflect the genuine Puma brand. Partner you gone through the eddoes.

3. Mark My Word February 20, 2018 at 5:25 am

It is the Supplier who should in court not the small man

• Marc February 20, 2018 at 9:42 am

Like anything sold illegaly… if not for the small man who purchases those items, there would be no Supplier.

• Sue Donym February 20, 2018 at 9:51 am

Would our courts have jurisdiction over the supplier? Did his supplier offer them for sale in Barbados?

• Mark My Word February 20, 2018 at 3:04 pm

@ Sue Donym the Puma agents came here they should follow the paper trail, thee man got Documents aka proof of Purchase he did not make them.

• Sue Donym February 20, 2018 at 7:37 pm

@Mark My Word you are assuming that the papers prove anything other than that a sale took place.There is no evidence here of who supplied what papers and what was specified in them.

4. Jack de ripper February 20, 2018 at 5:32 am

The charge has to prove knowledge and that’s a hard one. You cannot only look at price. How much per unit you think CS pays for a pair of Puma coming from suppliers. When you buy in bulk the cost is dirt cheap. Anyone realise the jewelry you buy in Bim is also bought dirt cheap. At markets where only jewellers can purchase and the per ounce cost is way below the price you pay in Bim. When you think you’re getting money off you’re still paying 500% mark ups. This is business, consumer just take or leave it.

5. kk February 20, 2018 at 9:19 am

OH??@ Mark My Word – he look like somebody that don’t know original brand??? Majority of these money hungry, poor great ass bajans does go overseas, buy cheap and come back to rob they own. That’s why i personally don’t buy brand, cause the way i see it if i buy a knockoff and treat it good, it should last as long as the real thing, cause as Madea would say “brand does leff ya brek”.

• Mark My Word February 20, 2018 at 3:14 pm

@ KK I bought some shoes in USA I swear they were Leather, looked like leather made in China until I started to wear them, then the shine came off and started to look like Cardboard manufactured to look like Leather
      I was fooled because everything in USA used to be the real thing, any person can be tricked.

Fake products are sold on Broad Street every day
      Fake Drugs are sold at most Pharmacies here every day
      At one time CBC was pirating and charging the Nation for the Channels
      Go after the Big Fish

• kk February 21, 2018 at 10:00 am

points well taken!!!

6. Sue Donym February 20, 2018 at 10:17 am

Just wondering if any damages have been sought from the believed to be genuine US seller since Mr Delpeache discovered that the merchandise was counterfeit… and whether his documents show that they were sold to him as originals… and whether a businessman of 20 yeras standing has now learned to check labels, before during or after his purchases. Has he also checked his items bought before and since to see if they are genuine. Will he offer an apology to persons who were, like him, deceived?

• Sue Donym February 20, 2018 at 10:41 am

Okay, @Nathaniel Samuels, I’m fixing it for you and anyone else who didn’t read between the lines >>> /s. Got it?

• Mark My Word February 20, 2018 at 3:17 pm

Labels are made in China just like the Original

7. Nathaniel Samuels February 20, 2018 at 10:31 am

Deceived, my eye. Many of these traders know that the goods are not original yet buy them because they want to rip-off their customers. I have bought original goods from my suppliers only to see other merchants parading the same look merchandise without the id tag and selling at even more than my original was being sold for. It is a racket and I am glad that those who buy original merchandise may, just may, be at ease.

8. Donild Trimp February 20, 2018 at 12:52 pm

“I does look at the one on display before I buy them as I can only see the one on display . . . . Then I rush and pack them in the suitcase but I don’t keep the boxes”

For an owner of a boutique in an upscale mall, that is a very poor business model. Something is not right with your way of doing business.

You paid $1,200 US to a store in NY for 12 pairs of PUMA slippers to sell in your boutique in Barbados when you can get a minimum of 50 pairs from a supplier in China for $200 US or less.

Come again Mr. Boutique owner.

9. Alex Alleyne February 20, 2018 at 2:16 pm

(1) Ignorance is no defense.
    (2) Ignorance is no excuse of the Law.
    I DIDN’T KNOW……..yeah right. ……Got caught , that’s what.
    Again what about the CELL-PHONE guy ?????????????????.

10. Gsmiley February 20, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Yea rite delpeache

11. Tony Webster February 20, 2018 at 3:31 pm

Hey buddy…I have real deal here for you…it’s my 1 year old Rolls Royce , which you can buy for a cool USD $200k, instead of the sticker of USD$650k. Yes, I do have a Toyota logo on front and back, but that’s just so some slimy SOB. doan steal it….so no extra charge for the Toyota badges. I’m offering this to you because you’re really a model citizen, admired by all young Bajans, and plus your own mum must be justifiably very proud of you.

BTW, “Well done” to our Boys in Blue, and to Magistrate Bannister for throwing da book at this fine Bajan gentleman.

12. gsmiley February 20, 2018 at 8:33 pm

Look at the end of the day its about greed and selfishness. Ripping off your own people for your own gain. Plain and simple.

Mr. Delpeache knew exactly what he was doing.

13. Cecil P February 24, 2018 at 9:31 pm

be careful when it come to buying Merchandise when it’s made in China . and right now it’s very hard not to buy anything that’s not made in China. the Apple phone is probably one of the best things the Chinese make .they make it very cheap and it cost a arm and a leg . for me I try to stay away from stuff that’s made China .as the saying goes 2 cheap no good .from the snow man