School and business advise against drinking local tap water

The uncertainty about the quality of the drinking water on the south coast has gone beyond the United States embassy.

Barbados TODAY has learnt that Wills Primary, a privately run school in close proximity to the ongoing sewage spills, has advised its students to take bottled water to school, and not to drink the tap water.

Principal Nicole Wills refused to say what prompted the decision, insisting that “we are a private school so we are not commenting on that for the newspaper”.

However, a source familiar with the development told Barbados TODAY the school wanted to safeguard the interest of its students, and had written to the pupils advising them to steer clear of the tap water.

The US embassy issued a statement on January 25 indicating that tests conducted on tap water in residences of some of its staff had found “elevated levels” of bacteria.

“Recent tests at several US Embassy residences revealed bacteria at elevated levels in the tap water. As a precautionary measure, the US Embassy recommended to its staff to boil their drinking water or use bottled water,” the alert said.

It did not specify the locations of the residences where the tests were conducted, but it emerged at a meeting the following day between Government and US Ambassador Linda Taglialatera that tests were done at five of the 68 staff residences, including Enterprise, Graeme Hall, Atlantic Shores and Palisades, Christ Church, all in close proximity to the sewage spill plaguing the south coast for more than a year.

The authorities have insisted that the water is safe, with Chief Medical Officer Dr Kenneth George telling Barbados TODAY as recently as yesterday that the Barbados Water Authority “even went further today [yesterday] to say they are 100 per cent sure that the water is safe in all of Barbados”.

However, this has not stopped one local water bottling company from seeking to capitalize on the US alert.

Western Wholesale Inc of Lower Estate, St Michael has released an advertisement in which it quoted the full text of the American health alert.

“We at Western want you to be safe! Great prices on the highest quality spring water. Get your NAYA Water today,” the advertisement concluded.

When contacted this afternoon General Manager Daniel Pile told Barbados TODAY by telephone he was unaware that the commercial had been approved for broadcast.

“I didn’t even know about the ad so I will have to discuss with the marketing team. I know nothing about the ad. I heard some discussion about it here, but I didn’t know that it was finally done and sent off. I am going to look into it because the marketing manager may have gotten the okay from the boss,” Pile said before checking with his marketing manager.

However, after checking the general manager said he was no longer willing to offer further comment.

9 Responses to School and business advise against drinking local tap water

1. John Everatt February 3, 2018 at 1:24 am

Government credibility on this issue is obviously at an all time low. They have been deceitful and dishonest on this water and sewage issue for so long that no one really believes them any longer. I for one certainly boil my water as I do not trust what they say any longer.

2. Tony Webster February 3, 2018 at 7:02 am

Boil dem. THEN flush.

3. luther thorne February 3, 2018 at 8:57 am

I took a decision to boil water before the present fiasco. There are a lot of people who do so too. Mind you, it was just a decision made based on what used to happen in the old time days as I understand it. Hearing people talking about boiling water now makes me understand why the Spirit led me to the idea of boiling water for drinking purposes. I feel justified. So sewage problems or not, boiling water is a good thing. The BWA can do only so much. Filters can do only so much. But you see BOILING water , it can turn a BIG BLACK SLUG into a YUG.

4. Greengiant February 3, 2018 at 10:13 am

Wills is a privately run academy catering to some clients that probably includes foreign nationals. So if they have clients who work in the diplomatic services, they too will have to march to the same beat.

5. luther thorne February 3, 2018 at 12:00 pm

I know Willls School very very well.

Whatever the case , the situation is a disgrace

6. Roverp February 3, 2018 at 12:08 pm

When you tell lies so often no one would believe you even if you tell the truth…..lesson for this DLP government

7. hcalndre February 3, 2018 at 12:10 pm

Plenty people always boil or buy bottle water especially visitors. I have been always skeptical of the amount of lime stone that settles in your kettle and I don`t drink water direct from the tap. I know for sure that ships would not take water from any country as long as there is an alert, regardless of what the government say, did anyone expected anything different from a people that waited until the economy, the roads, the buses and now the sewage to be concerned. One of their ministers said that barbados water is the best in the world.

8. archy perch February 4, 2018 at 3:52 am

luther thorne what happened to your hunger strike????
    you like a cat….nine lies.LOL

9. Bumn February 4, 2018 at 7:40 am

Why play with words when I comes to your health? This is a true leader!