Disgruntled vehicle owner stages protest outside McEnearny

One McEnearny Quality Inc customer is not about to shut up and drive a vehicle with which he is unhappy, but is prepared instead to shout from the top of his voice about what he deems to be an inferior product and poor service from the car dealership.

Curtis Rogers this morning parked his Mazda pickup opposite the company’s lot in Wildey, St Michael with a sign posted on the vehicle that clearly indicated that he was a disgruntled man.

Curtis Rogers is contending that he bought the vehicle brand new from the dealer in 2015, but it has been fraught with mechanical problems ever since.

“This vehicle is no good. It is not what I paid for,” stated the sign, which attracted the attention of commuters.

Rogers contended that he bought the vehicle brand new from the dealer in 2015, but it has been fraught with mechanical problems in the two years since it left the showroom.

He said while McEnearny has repaired the myriad problems, the frequency of breakdowns has brought him to the realization that the vehicle must be replaced, a request he said that the company has refused to grant even though the vehicle is still under warranty.

“The vehicle has not stopped giving me trouble: first the alternator light came on in May 2016, then they had to change a 4×4 switch. But it was the air condition that really raised alarm because they had to change a pressure line and an actuator. They had to also change the fan in the vehicle,” Rogers told Barbados TODAY this morning.

“I am telling them that something is wrong with this vehicle if you have to change all of these things. Then to top it all off, on January 15, 2018, they are telling me that the vehicle now needs a brake booster,” he added, while pointing out that the vehicle, which is still under the 100,000-kilometre warranty, presented a danger on the road.

Rogers also said he had engaged the services of an attorney-at-law and that he would settle for no less than a full refund or a replacement vehicle.

“Right now this is a silent protest which can end today or it can go into various levels. Tomorrow I will be writing to the Minister of Transport and Works about what is going on with my vehicle. I am going to take my story regionally and internationally. I gave them time to realize I don’t bluff. I told them I was going to a lawyer and they thought I was bluffing then too. I gave them time to address my concerns by that fell through the window. I went to the president of the company and he told me in no uncertain terms that he couldn’t do anything for me. So I have to step things up,” the disgruntled Mazda owner said.

However, in a statement released today, Mc Enearny Quality Inc denied Rogers’ claim, insisting that the vehicle had accumulated more mileage than an average vehicle its age.

“The vehicle was purchased in May 2015 and has a mileage of 93,000 km, which is over three times the national average. We therefore deny Mr Rogers’ claim that the vehicle was not good from the time it was purchased and assert that proper and extensive use of the vehicle has been enjoyed since the purchase. The vehicle has not required any significant maintenance over and above the normal manufacturers’ expectations,” the company said in the statement.

38 Responses to Disgruntled vehicle owner stages protest outside McEnearny

1. Sunshine Sunny Shine January 23, 2018 at 10:52 pm

A bunch of crooked fraudsters. The vehicle is 3 years old. 93,000 km is not over 100,000, and far from that, it should not have so many problems in three years. I hope he steps up the protest and exposes wunna bloodsuckers who think wunna could do whatever wunna like with black people.

• Samuel Clemens January 24, 2018 at 5:45 am

I’m white and they did the same thing to me so it’s not race just pure greed, ignorance and a lack of accountability.

We bought a vehicle from MQI in 2015 and within a few months we had to take it back numerous times for repairs. They eventually had to replace it when they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it so couldn’t fix it.

Curtis Rogers is doing the right thing here and I encourage everyone to back him. We rage at the government for incompetence so the private sector should get it too.

• Jennifer January 24, 2018 at 10:22 am

SSS – Because Mr Samuel Clemens got a particular result does not mean that Mr Curtis Rogers will obtain the same.

2. BIG SKY January 23, 2018 at 10:57 pm

I too had a vehicle from the said company,a Kia Sorento and faced the same problems that this guy faced.I vehicle was a relatively new one but I spent the most of my time fixing and paying for expensive parts.I stongly believe that the vehicles that they are selling as new are used.I sold the vehicle valued at that time for $37 000 for $10 000 but with all the problems being highlighted to the intended buyer.I bought a 2001 Toyota Vitz and have been driving it every since then ,just changing brake pads.

3. John Everatt January 23, 2018 at 11:13 pm

These problems with Mc Enearny are nothing new. They have been going on for years now. I also had an experience with them which told me never to deal with them again.

4. John Dee January 23, 2018 at 11:26 pm

Perception is everything. With these negative comments they will lose much more than the value of a replacement vehicle over time.

• hcalndre January 24, 2018 at 7:41 am

Issues like these happened to consumers in Barbados because they don`t have any real laws to protect them from these unscrupulous business people who cares nothing about the consumer or the reputation of the product and the company`s name. Make a call to the makers where ever they are, Japan or the US. I will leave this with you, this is election time so be wise in choosing an Attorney.

5. Mark My Word January 24, 2018 at 1:51 am

I remember well Aaron Truss had problems with his Peugeot and had to do same
    Go on Facebook, Naked Departure and send correspondence to Mazda head office get other persons who have same problems to join you

Mc Enearny Quality Inc fix thee man damm vehicle properly or give him a replacement or sales will be lost

6. Sherlock Holmes. January 24, 2018 at 3:53 am

Don’t ease up carry them to the bone i bet if you were of a different hue that vehicle would have been replaced a long time ago.Better yet contact the Mazda parent company and inform them let it go viral.

• hcalndre January 24, 2018 at 7:45 am

@Sherlock Homes; bajans love to bring color of a person in everything, have you not read that someone who is white had a problem with the company too.

• Jennifer January 24, 2018 at 10:51 am

@hcalndre – You really need to step into reality and step off this equality bs pedestal. This is why when people like D Trump and others make their racist statements people are shocked, surprised and feelings hurt.

Saying that I hope Curtis gets a good end result. And stop driving the vehicle bro.

• Sherlock Holmes. January 25, 2018 at 8:15 pm

Leave the Trumpster alone Jennifer, talk what you like he is a boss you see the USA ECONOMY.

• Sherlock Holmes. January 24, 2018 at 7:36 pm

@hcaindre check the time of the post made by the person who states that they are white and check the time of my post Mr jumping to conclusions, or better yet Mr Brainiac.

7. Samantha Best January 24, 2018 at 5:40 am

This is the norm and standard operating procedure with this company. The only persons who get full refunds or exchanges from them are 50 shades lighter than you.

You need to seek legal advice. Start with the Office of Public Counsel. It will be an uphill task but you must take the first step.

8. Sheron Inniss January 24, 2018 at 6:58 am

Stand up for your rights; do not back down.

9. hcalndre January 24, 2018 at 8:10 am

93000 km is close to 58000 miles, I think you got a lemon.

10. Greengiant January 24, 2018 at 8:31 am

If we read Mr. Samuel Clemens comment. He’s white, he experienced the same thing with them, but they eventually changed his vehicle. So maybe, just maybe if Curtis Rogers sticks to his guns they will also replace his. They want to say his mileage is above average after three years, but it still within the warranty. They’re delaying so maybe he will continue to drive it, until the mileage is outside the warranty.

I hope Mr. Rogers is smart enough not to do this.

• Jennifer January 24, 2018 at 10:10 am

Yep. Let us see if the same result comes out of this case.

• Samuel Clemens January 24, 2018 at 11:02 am

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Keep after them on all social media and make them do right by Mr Rogers.

11. Steven Collins January 24, 2018 at 9:09 am

I drive a 2002 Chev Impala that has over 300000 km and it hasn’t given me that amount of problems.

12. Leo January 24, 2018 at 11:59 am

MQ needs to honour the warranty….stop shirking

13. Alex Alleyne January 24, 2018 at 12:02 pm

Will keep my ear(s) to the ground on this one. Aaron Truss a man with serious clout In BIM so you are sure of positive results.
    This brother need others to help him out, plus he need to contact MADZA headquarters in FUCHU JAPAN.
    The “Small Black Man” in BIM usually don’t stand a chance going up against such companies. Will also take a Lawyer with a big heart because he will be looking at his future.
    Like anything else let it run all the way to the CCJ.

14. GREEN-LIME January 24, 2018 at 12:48 pm

MAY BE YOU PURCHASE A GREEN LIME, ANYHOW, YOU HAVE TO RIGHT FOR A FULL REFUND, SOMETIMES THE THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES GET WATER DOWN LEMONS. GOOD LUCK AND ASK OTHERS TO JOIN YOU.

15. Tom January 24, 2018 at 1:14 pm

I am encouraged when I see ordinary customers fighting for their rights. Surely MQ must see the potential reputational damage if this issue is not properly handled. I am also very concerned that there is not a more consumer-oriented system in place to deal expeditiously with matters such as this without having to engage a lawyer with all the attendant cost. Our consumer laws and a better judicial model should be put in place so that ordinary folks are empowered to deal on their own if they so wish.
    Mr Rogers, good on you, be determined and good luck. I have taken note and will think twice before dealing with MQ. Thanks for sharing your experience.

16. Helicopter(8P) January 24, 2018 at 1:45 pm

That vehicle manufacturing plant number, VIN number, Engine number and the Technical inspectors’s identification code needs to be taken and sent to the Mazda facility from which it was made. All cost expences itemized should follow.

17. Alew January 24, 2018 at 1:47 pm

“The vehicle was purchased in May 2015 and has a mileage of 93,000 km, which is over three times the national average.”

I have a Nissan – lovely vehicle – and I travel from St. Philip to town and to school doing drop offs every day. Some days I make the St. Philip to town trip twice. I have racked up about 80,000 km in just two years.
    What is the national average again?

18. Bajangal January 24, 2018 at 2:07 pm

Well well, I know two persons who had similar challenges with the same company. War of words and legal recourse was also their experience…… hmmm

19. Alex Alleyne January 24, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Sir, AVOID PHONE CALLS , EMAIL EVERYTHING AND HAVE IT COPY SO YOU WILL HAVE THAT “PAPER TRAIL”.
    Don’t want to hear , “well I never said that”.

20. Delwin Knight January 24, 2018 at 4:39 pm

The company offered to fix his issue for free and he chose not to accept because he wanted a new vehicle… He was even going to get a free loaner car by MQI while his was being fixed… He didn’t want that either … He wanted a new vehicle… Thats not how warranties work. If that was the case people could get a new vehicle for a scratch. His issue was capable of being fixed… PLUS His vehicle is infested with roaches…if he doesn’t take care of inside the vehicle then do you really think he takes car or the engine etc.

There are videos and audio going around showing the state of his vehicle. He seems to not be mentioning that part

21. Celly January 24, 2018 at 5:41 pm

They tried to sell me a 2015 vehicle as a 2016 with no price reduction. I simply walked away. I did not realized this was a wide spread problem.

22. milli watt January 24, 2018 at 6:38 pm

hehehehehehehehe………got another one.

23. credit man January 24, 2018 at 6:58 pm

Carry them down to thee wire don’t give up, certain people in this country like bizzy , cow, Miss Ram , Chris Sinkler thee man that own Jada, thee people that own cost u more and thee big guts man that own Sandals would never get treat like that show them that any and everything can’t continue to happen in this country where them can walk all over people however them like and get away with it.

24. Sherlock Holmes. January 24, 2018 at 7:41 pm

#BOYCOTT MQI.

25. Alex Alleyne January 24, 2018 at 7:52 pm

keep the pressure on, they take our MONEY then treat us as #3 in their #1&#2 business.

26. luther thorne January 24, 2018 at 8:49 pm

This she-ite does only happen to Black people in Barbados. Nobody seems to treat Black people well and Black people seem to accept the Crap

27. Mia Colucci January 24, 2018 at 10:30 pm

Don’t back down, Mr. Rogers! Why should you have to fight for something like this, when the FTC has staff who are supposed to protect you from something like this?

28. kk January 26, 2018 at 9:05 am

well y’all would know that the only time something will be done about this is when it happens to somebody of alleged importance.

29. nanci January 26, 2018 at 12:57 pm

its better to buy a used car than a new one, because roger paid 105,000 for a car that needed lots of work in 3 years? I would bet mccrearney bought a flooded car from the US or wherever, then clean it up and sold it. Most of the flooded cars coming from overseas these car buyers buy them and sold them at high price. If the car needed all those parts that mean they took the parts out the car, and replace them with old parts. I hope you get your money back or a replacement. There are no laws in barbados to protect the consumer?