The allure of Barbados

Repeat visitors say it’s the ‘people’ that keep them coming

Prime Minister Freundel Stuart last night hosted the first of four scheduled receptions in 2018 for repeat visitors, including eight who had collectively made over 250 visits to the island.

Prime Minister Freundel Stuart (left) enjoys a light moment with this repeat visitor.

Among them, Nicole Forbes, Margaret Cuddihy and Roger Warren, who have each been to the island over 45 times.

“My Canadian children learned how to swim in the ocean here, and they’re 40 and 42. So I’ve been coming for a long time,” Forbes said, adding that her absolute loves are, “the sun [and] the people”.

Also, “I feel very safe here. I feel comfortable. I love the food, I love the people, I love the art [and] when I come here, it’s like coming home,” she said.

During last night’s event which was held at the Prime Minister’s official Ilaro Court residence, Stuart also had a good chat with Vincent Prager, who alone had racked up 60 visits; Roberto Menegati, who has been to the island 40 times and Donna Silberberg, a 32-time visitor.

Vincent Prager (left), who has visited Barbados 60 times, entertains Prime Minister Freundel Stuart and fellow visitor Roberto Menegati, who has been to the island 40 times.

He also shook hands with the husband and wife pair of Wood and Barbara Lockhart, who have been in Barbados on at least 30 separate occasions.

The Lockharts, Wood and Barbara, who have visited Barbados 30 times, pose with Prime Minister Freundel Stuart.

Asked what keeps him coming back to the island, Prager, who has been visiting at least three times a year since 1997, said, “I had breakfast with [Minister of Tourism] Richard Sealy this morning and he asked me that question, and I said, ‘it is the people’.

“This is such a unique country because the people make the atmosphere. Apart from [the fact that] it is a beautiful island.

“You have a lot of beautiful islands, but it is the worth of the people. When you arrive and you go to the immigration and the lady says, ‘welcome home’, I really feel good. I’m back home again.”

The Canadian visitor also said that ‘if I couldn’t live in Montreal, I’d live here.”

American visitor Wood Lockhart and his wife Barbara said that after travelling to several countries they decided to give Barbados a try. Since then, the couple has been hooked, with the Lockharts agreeing with Prager that there is something special about the island’s people.

“The people in Barbados are the most liked, friendly people that I’ve ever come across,” the husband said.

His wife quickly added: “It’s not only the beautiful salt air that we find here in Barbados, but the wonderful people.

“Barbadians have a dignity that you don’t find anywhere else in world.”

Hailing from California, the couple pointed out that it would have been a short flight to vacation in Hawaii, and though they have to endure a ten-hour journey involving two flights to get here “we come all the way to Barbados.

“It’s absolutely worth it. I don’t like Hawaii, I like Barbados,” Barbara said.

The retired couple started off visiting the island for five-day and seven-day periods, but since retirement they have extended their stay to three-weeks at a time.

Source: (GA)

24 Responses to The allure of Barbados

1. Nikolai Gibson
    Nikolai Gibson January 11, 2018 at 10:19 pm

Glad that you could meet with the visitors and have a ball. This means that the people of Ch Ch should be getting a meeting soon too, to offer words of encouragement during this troubling time.

2. Ryan Robert A. Charles
    Ryan Robert A. Charles January 11, 2018 at 10:22 pm

this is the only time you could see this ingrate….only when it is a photo oppertunity..

3. Eddy Murray
    Eddy Murray January 11, 2018 at 10:22 pm

And insult his guess

4. Santini More
    Santini More January 11, 2018 at 10:29 pm

Ring the bell and get this grinning buffoon out of office. Instead of coming to speak to the citizens of Barbados to inform and reassure us about the South Coast public health disaster, he is playing the part of a minstrel at some visitor party…Man, ring de damn bell!

5. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba January 11, 2018 at 10:30 pm

WHAT AH DISGRACE!! AND THE PLANTATION SLAVE FEELS GOOD, HOSTING PARTIES/FETS OUT OF THE TAXPAYERS MONIES, BUT YET NOT ONE NATION BUILDER(S) CAN’T ENJOY NOTHING THERE….GREASY TO THE WORLD

6. Sophia Lewis
    Sophia Lewis January 11, 2018 at 11:05 pm

Did Barbadians hear what he told them? It was disgusting. Please try and get the news strip of the event as aired on radio. There are no words to tell you how he humiliated us in front of these visitors. He speaks of us as if he is not Barbadian and is other, In all his delusional arrogant glory, our PM trampled and squashed us like roaches in front of these people. He tells them that he never purported Barbados to be perfect. Told them that their countries aren’t perfect either then grovelled at their feet by basicslly saying that tourism is our bread and butter so in essence visitors, we don’t really care about you…..just see you as money. How crass and uncouth. I say so and I didn’t even go to Harrison College.

• Belfast January 12, 2018 at 9:33 pm

This man seems to hate Barbados with a passion. He is one homegrown legal terrorist that has done more damage to this country than any member of the IRA or Boko Haram could have done.

7. Arlington Andrews Farley
    Arlington Andrews Farley January 11, 2018 at 11:07 pm

He ain’t got no shame at all, skinning he F,,kin mouth,why not take them to the south coast for your receptions, all he doing is spending we money and taxing people to the bone. RH

8. John Everatt January 11, 2018 at 11:07 pm

Instead of dealing with the health hazard on the South Coast he glad hands the visitors throwing cocktail parties. Of course, since these visitors are hosted at a “free” cockail party they are going to say whatever they think the host wants them to say. But I really don’t think that any of them are oblivious to the sewage disaster all over the roads. Hey, it’s photo opp time.

9. archy perch January 12, 2018 at 4:16 am

The crooked Barbados Labour Party with its track record will save us. Magic wand in hand, Mia has the answer to all our immediate problems. I seem to remember that former Senator the late Gordan Mathews had done a study of the happenings at Glendairy Prison before the fire and submitted it to Mia when she was the Minister in Charge at that time. The report sat on her desk for a long while and with no action. The fire came, did its damage, hence came Dodds and the large expenses. Mia had failed to act swiftly upon the recommendations by Senator Mathews and the prison occupants rioted and set the place n fire. There is alot more to the saga. But this is her history…a failure withe a track record. Now Mia wants to lead Barbados. SMH NEVER

• Randolph January 12, 2018 at 9:09 am

You can’t stop her,even by trying to steal the election or buy it.Good luck.

10. Nancy January 12, 2018 at 4:29 am

Hollywood in ACTION.

11. Tee White January 12, 2018 at 7:05 am

We in a hole and keep digging. It is obvious to me that the volume of tourists coming to the island is placing an unbearable strain on our essential services including sewage systems and water supply. Yet we hosting events to encourage even more tourists. Stop and think!

12. Richard Johnston January 12, 2018 at 9:12 am

You mean, it’s not the fragrance on the south coast?

13. seagul January 12, 2018 at 9:28 am

Harmony Inspires Positive Creativity.
    But awareness too Mr. Stuart.
    In this day and age there is such a vast amount of information and science. One thing we can be certain of is that our social sensibility and conscience should guide us to what’s right and wrong. So let’s get turn up our sleeves and fix our problems in unity, our future is at stake. We’ve seen the politicians for what they are long ago…

14. Falernum January 12, 2018 at 10:06 am

My observation is that we are not presently attracting fresh “repeaters visitors”. The ones we see every year are aging and therefore dwindling, and we cannot offer the conditions that they saw attractive in the 70’s and 80’s any longer to a new generation.

15. Dick Tracy January 12, 2018 at 10:13 am

@archy

Why aren’t you down on the south coast helping clean up the waste, instead of here adding to it!

16. Dick Tracy January 12, 2018 at 10:21 am

How do you spend taxpayers money entertaining visitors when you can’t fix potholes, maintain a sanitary system, provide decent medical care, maintain an adequate transport system.

All this for a dog & pony show! You are gone, and no matter who replaces you it will certainly improve on your record which is “0”. Too late for a wicket across your backside, but a vote against you will be just as good!

17. Buun January 12, 2018 at 2:24 pm

Ha look at me!

I’m doing something to promote Barbados Tourism Industry. I call this working!

Now move along and pay my taxes, I say!

18. milli watt January 12, 2018 at 3:18 pm

half the USA burn down, wash way and freeze over and no advisory from us, countless murders still nothing from us and a little pooh outside the loo and everybody vex. yuh right PM enjoy yuh self do

19. Belfast January 12, 2018 at 9:37 pm

But wait, Milli, which leader in the Caribbean has the balls to issue an advisory against Trump’s US of A.

20. Belfast January 12, 2018 at 9:45 pm

I’ve always maintained that we as a people have not moved very far, if any at all, from the plantation yard gap.
    It is Master this, Mister and Missy that. But when we come to our very own its very different.

21. Jus me January 13, 2018 at 8:01 am