St Philip family mourns first road fatality for 2018

A St Philip family is in mourning following the shocking death of 64-year-old electrician Henderson Greenidge, Barbados’ first road fatality for the year.

Greenidge was on his way to spend a night out on the town with his cousins at Oistins Bay Gardens when he was involved in a minor accident along Four Roads St Philip.  Just minutes after he escaped the accident unharmed, Greenidge was hit by an approaching motorist while crossing the road.

Police investigations have so far revealed that Greenidge was at the scene of accident awaiting the arrival of a tow truck. On its arrival, Greenidge proceeded to walk towards the truck and was struck by a vehicle, driven by 28-year-old Rico Clarke, of Lot 17A, Merricks, St Philip.

Greenidge was transported to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital by ambulance for medical attention where he later succumbed to his injuries.

The late Henderson Greenidge

Greenidge’s cousin Wayne Hunte was the last person to see the visiting national alive after spending the day with him at his Thickets, St Philip home.

“We had a very jovial time yesterday [Friday] . . . it is unbelievable that he is gone because I am the last family member that was with him up to that time . . .  until 8:30 p.m. when I left his house to come home,” recalled a solemn Hunte.

He said Greenidge had been staying in Barbados for the holidays and planning to return to England in February.

“We were very upbeat at his house chatting and laughing and I was hooking up his television,” Hunte said.

Hunte recalled that during their last interaction, Greenidge whom he described as the “live wire of the family,” was excitedly awaiting the arrival of his wife Sandra Greenidge as he spoke to her via Skype.

Greenidge was to retire next month when he would have turned 65 and was looking forward to his retirement. It was also his 10th wedding anniversary and he was planning a joint anniversary/retirement party.
His wife was previously scheduled to travel to Barbados on Tuesday. She thought of flying in earlier but because the family was told they could not see him before tomorrow she decided to keep the Tuesday flight.

“He was a very jovial person, a very upbeat person, he loved to have his fun. He just loved to be home in Barbados,” Hunte told Barbados TODAY.

“He was a very enjoyable person to be around and . . . he loved to go Oistins when he was here, every evening actually,” he added.

Hunte said Greenidge’s sudden death was a huge blow for the family, with family members in England and in Barbados trying to wrap their minds around his passing.

This also included Greenidge’s father, Winfield Greenidge who received official word of his eldest son’s passing by police officials Saturday morning.

“He [Henderson] told me last night that he was in an accident, but nobody is hurt, don’t worry, and about an hour and a half later somebody told me he got knock down,” Winfield Greenidge said, recounting how he and his son went to a funeral on Tuesday and laughed and joked about the past.

“I am feeling lost [and] terrible,” he said.

23 Responses to St Philip family mourns first road fatality for 2018

1. Ryvan Springer
    Ryvan Springer January 7, 2018 at 11:47 am

S.I.P

2. Kathryn Daniel January 7, 2018 at 1:56 pm

So sorry to hear this news. My condolences to all who mourn this loss.

3. Maxine Sobers
    Maxine Sobers January 7, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Rest in peace Grenidge x

4. Michelle Watts
    Michelle Watts January 7, 2018 at 3:45 pm

So sad may he RIP

5. Pauline Briggs
    Pauline Briggs January 7, 2018 at 4:37 pm

My condolences to the family circle of the lost they love one

6. Marcia Gooding
    Marcia Gooding January 7, 2018 at 7:38 pm

That Road want street lights it is too dark at night

• Judith Linton
      Judith Linton January 8, 2018 at 10:31 pm

I passed that accident after 10 and thought the area was very dark apart from the police jeep. I tried to pass back after 2 to a blocked road and the whole area was dark. There needs to be street lights out there

7. Tony Waterman January 7, 2018 at 10:04 pm

This is happening fat too often to people from the Diasporo, i had a friend who went home to Trinidad & Tobago last year, and she did not even last a day, she suffered the same fate as Mr. Greenidge, she was run over by a Careless Motorist.

It is my Strong belief that Notices should be put up at our Arriving Ports, asking ALL Visitors to be ALERT to the different Driving habits of the Islands, as compared to the Country in which they reside.

The Culture, and that includes the DRIVING CULTURE is different, and visitors, should be made aware of that for their Safety.

Just a Thought

• Belfast January 8, 2018 at 12:03 am

You mean just like the imposing notice we had at the arrival hall of Seawell Airport informing all visitors that Barbados is a drug-free country and that we wish it to remain that way?
      Visitors to this country appear to drive and used the roads more carefully than many local.
      Some people visiting Barbados and other Caribbean countries for that matter tend to do things in these small islands that they would not dare try back in their big country back home.

8. Close friend January 7, 2018 at 11:04 pm

RIP dear friend you lived each day as if it were your last and constantly told others to do the same. Your warm humour is already missed by all who knew you.
    Condolences to the wife and family of Greeneidge.

9. Jennifer January 7, 2018 at 11:31 pm

In this physical world we need to remember that our road has already been paved and the length thereof set. Wayne, may you and the entire family circle and friends find peace and comfort at this time. Condolence also to Sandra.

10. Cheryl M Wiltshire
    Cheryl M Wiltshire January 8, 2018 at 5:16 am

RIP

11. Rawle Mapp
    Rawle Mapp January 8, 2018 at 6:37 am

My condolences

12. Roslyn Jones January 8, 2018 at 10:34 am

So Gutted was I to receive this sad news yesterday. You’ve never changed from being the good humoured and fun loving life and soul of the party person since meeting at the age of 15 back in the Leyton Youth days. Can’t get my head around the fact I will never see that cheeky grin ever again or hear your voice. Rest in peace my dear friend. Can’t believe you’re gone. Heartfelt Condolences to Sandra and the Greenidge family at this sad time. Roslyn

13. Helicopter(8P) January 8, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Fellow Barbadians now just take a look at yourselves and ask this question right now! Do I love my neighbour as myself ? For goodness sake! How can you view ahead of you ; see a parked vehickle and not take due care and attention of the matter and surrounding scene? It’s appauling that we drive our vehicles as chimps in a circus. Operating a vehicle on public roads is a privilage given to you by the State and therefore the state can be prejudice in allowing you to operate on its public highways if so required.

• Jennifer January 8, 2018 at 1:09 pm

well stated.

14. Kenneth Lewis January 8, 2018 at 1:52 pm

y condolences to the Greenidge family may he RIP n RIG

15. Sherlock Holmes. January 8, 2018 at 7:33 pm

This is so sad my sympathies to his family and all loved ones.

16. Rob pearce January 10, 2018 at 9:19 am

Andy the mandingo man I still think I am in a dream and going to wake from it going to miss you big time mate love Rob and Karen my heart is broken now make sure you a have a beer waiting for me when God calls me to his side
    Love rob and Karen x x x x x x x

17. Rob pearce January 10, 2018 at 9:44 am

R I p l anding man

18. Rob pearce January 10, 2018 at 9:48 am

R i p mr greenidge

19. Rose Reid-Benskin January 21, 2018 at 4:46 pm

RIP Greenidge. My condolences to his wife Catherine and th rest of the day. Going to miss your laughter and fun sense of humour.

20. Rose Reid-Benskin January 21, 2018 at 4:47 pm

RIP Greenidge. My condolences to his wife Catherine and th rest of the family . Going to miss your laughter and fun sense of humour.