Former Erdiston Principal honoured for outstanding contribution to education

Barbara Parris was lauded for her outstanding work in education as the Erdiston Teachers’ Training College held a retirement celebration in her honour this weekend.

The former Principal spent more than 40 years in the teaching service with 21 at Erdiston Teachers’ College where she served as both Deputy Principal and Principal.

She was described by her colleges, family and friends as a person who had an eye for detail but was also loving and kind-hearted.

Minister of Education, Science Technology and Innovation, Ronald Jones said Parris responded to his first request to train untrained teachers who were in the education system.

“Over nine and a half, I believe we have trained about 1,200 teachers or so and that would be a record,” Jones said.

He told Parris that he would be calling on her expertise as “teachers do not retire, we continue to give even if it is in service organizations, civil society organizations, we continue to give”.

The Education Minister commended Parris for her outstanding service to education, as well as her outstanding role as Principal of Erdiston.

Parris was serenaded in song by Natalie Burke who rendered the song Wind Beneath My Wings; while Simon Alleyne read a tribute in poetry entitled Have You Ever Been To Parris.

Acting Principal of Erdiston Teachers’ College, Patricia Saul said that Parris’ leadership skills were the epitome of what a good leader should possess.

“We would disagree on issues in meetings but the next morning she would meet me in the corridor with, ‘Hi Pat, how you doing?’. That level of maturity to me is the hallmark of any good manager to be able to disagree, arguably, to be able to separate the issue from the person. These are traits which a good leader should possess,” Saul said.

Parris in her remarks thanked her colleagues for making her tenure one that was peaceful and also said that the ability to speak to heads of the various unions assisted her in making her tenure incident free.

“Colleagues, thank you for your support and the sharing of your ideas with us. The unions proved to be critical friends, staff members at the Erdiston belong to National Union of Public Workers, Barbados Union of Teachers and Barbados Secondary Schools Teachers Union. I learnt the ground rules and stuck to them. If I needed any clarification I could call any of the union leaders for it. So, my 21 years were peace and harmony,” she said. (LG)

10 Responses to Former Erdiston Principal honoured for outstanding contribution to education

1. Cynthia Bee
    Cynthia Bee December 31, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Wonderful.

2. olive December 31, 2017 at 7:16 pm

This article made me go lol. I wonder what the people whose lives she made a living hell were thinking if they saw this on the news last night or read any of the articles in the print media.

3. Harry December 31, 2017 at 7:29 pm

People like Ms. Parris should be the ones receiving National awards not the political hacks & business people financing political parties.

4. Michelle Hunte
    Michelle Hunte December 31, 2017 at 8:37 pm

Barbara Parris

5. Sheron Inniss January 1, 2018 at 7:02 am

I wonder if the people whose lives she made a living hell feel the same way?

I can give names too so you all can remove this comment again. I can still talk she out. People in glass houses are in no position to throw stones.

She will fall one day and all of those people she unfaired will say she got the retribution she deserved.

6. Angie Moody
    Angie Moody January 1, 2018 at 7:33 am

All the best in your new endeavors.

7. Helicopter(8P) January 2, 2018 at 12:53 pm

Sheron Inniss please do yourself a personal favor and get a psychological evaluation . You say you are speaking for other persons rather than yourself. We literate Barbadians never knew you were a public figure and they are not supposed in their positions to be vindictive to persons while in public office.

8. jennifer January 2, 2018 at 2:35 pm

We put these set of MISEDUCATORS on a RH pedestal.

• jennifer January 2, 2018 at 4:05 pm

All the education, still can’t manufacture a vehicle, medicines, shoes, cookers, pots, televisions, appliances, medical machines, tech equipment, etc just became a bunch of shogun, regurgitating showoffs, and TRENDERS in servitude.

9. Sheron Inniss January 2, 2018 at 6:44 pm

@ helicopter I did not say I was speaking on anyone’s behalf. Oh and I am mad. Didn’t you know?