Barbadians dine out on Christmas Day

Hundreds of Barbadians ditched the tradition of cooking up a storm at home and headed to leading locations today for Christmas lunch.

One popular venue, the Hilton Barbados Resort was packed to capacity when Barbados TODAY visited at lunchtime. Management also revealed that there are healthy bookings for dinner.

“Hilton Barbados Resort will always remain that place that people will want to do their Christmas lunch so we have had great numbers for lunch and expect to have a few residents for dinner,” said Food and Beverage Manager Ramon Watson.

He was optimistic that the positive response for the holidays would continue this winter season.

Meanwhile over at Pebbles Beach, Democratic Labour Party (DLP) candidate for The City of Bridgetown Henderson Williams was busy treating approximately 250 of his constituents to a special Christmas lunch. The luncheon specifically catered to the elderly.

“Our task and focus right now is to be true to our community, true to our environment and to make sure that people who participate in occupying it are happy,” Williams told Barbados TODAY.

Williams was also accompanied by former parliamentarian Hamilton Lashley who assisted in planning the event.

Lashley said that Christmas was all about reaching out to others.

“The whole aspect of caring and sharing and coming together with the constituents of The City is what Jesus Christ epitomizes … this is the time of giving,” he stressed.

21 Responses to Barbadians dine out on Christmas Day

1. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba December 25, 2017 at 9:09 pm

WELL IF THE HILTON WAS SOLD FOR 80MIL US, 160 MIL BDS OFCOURSE COME ON IN AND PARTY………..CAN’T EAT AND DRINK OUT THE 110 MILLION THAT WAS SAVED…..

2. John Everatt December 25, 2017 at 9:41 pm

“Our task and focus right now is to be true to our community, true to our environment and to make sure that people who participate in occupying it are happy,” — Well how could we not be happy with the environment while swimming in all this sewage?

3. Patrick December 25, 2017 at 9:49 pm

I am confused; Is this an example of hard times?

• Bart December 27, 2017 at 9:51 am

I don’t get it either, the prices for all of these lunches went up considerably. Some Bajans like to overextend themselves. There are some that can afford it and partake and others that can’t really afford it but still take the plunge. It’s all about prioritization of spending and sadly some of these people gonna be suffering and crying out in the new year.

4. Belfast December 25, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Welcome to the 51 State of the United States of America.

5. Connie Danczak
    Connie Danczak December 26, 2017 at 5:50 am

The gesture was a good thought but a
    Luncheon for 250 people how much did that cost??
    That money could have and should have been for improving the neighbourhood something for everyone
    But you did feed 250 people

6. Bajan Patriot December 26, 2017 at 8:23 am

Any Barbadians man looking to married a Bajan woman better ask her if she can cook or bake. Plus go see how them mur keep her house. We men should be more discrimination when we choosing a wife. Don’t let her looks or body confuse your mind. Make sure she is a saver. Like to clean. Cook and have respect. We have abandon every traditions pass down by our ancestors. Bajans love to follow other’s. Eating at hone with family at Christmas day is as bajan as thanksgiving is to American.

7. Committed Bajan December 26, 2017 at 9:32 am

Save, cook and clean?
    A good thing you stopped short of barefoot and pregnant
    This is not the 1960s
    Women work and can pay for a Hilton meal for the entire family

• Bajan Patriot December 26, 2017 at 10:07 am

Yup i was waiting to hear from your kind. Check back in with reality 30 years from now when you all on the front page of the papers begging for help. Who would have think barbados would be in the saturation its in now. My Grand thought me well. “Pass the cook shop and go home and cook” “Save your money for a rainy day” “Cleanliness” aka clean where you live. Some of you Bajan woman full if it. Nothing to offer but talk and conflict. Wanna go ahead and eat out the little paycheck yuh getting. Hope de job last forever.

• jennifer December 26, 2017 at 11:09 am

Listen BP in reality you are talking about old time people. Majority of this people has modernised, and up-sizing too. Getting away from traditional values/doings. A couple of weeks ago I went to buy some UNSALTED butter to bake a cake and my 14yr old was going to make some banana bread. I only saw salted. Unsure if to use salted I asked a young woman her opinion whether to use the salted. The young woman told me, she does not know as she has never baked in her life. She buys her cakes. Now think of the ecomomic impact on an already fractured disenfranchised people. Think also of what is being passed on. When I am baking which is pretty often my little one loves to get her apron on with her bowl to break the eggs and stir. My big one bakes cookies or what ever she likes regular. Saying all this that we are a people who was trained to trend and consume which produces nothing – ingredients are now more expensive to buy. But I just love to smell baking in my home especially making flap jacks. Truth be said we got dying traditions like everything else.

• jennifer December 26, 2017 at 11:16 am

But don’t get me wrong I can see what you are saying very clear. Saying that I need to get the rest of my stuff tomorrow to bake me some cassava pone. Can’t wait – yum yum.

• Belfast December 26, 2017 at 12:06 pm

If de job has gone through the eddoes, they can always come round to your home, BP.

• Belfast December 26, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Three times a day, every day?

• Bajan patriot December 26, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Belfast. If them want to come wuk. I got nuff wuk bout here. I pay well too. But freeness? Not going to happen.

8. jrsmith December 26, 2017 at 11:10 am

This is the sign of things to come if we don’t find a group to govern and manage Barbados LTD……This is people trying to save what they can …….

9. Helicopter(8P) December 26, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Remember when you’ve lost all tradition you are now a wilderness pack just as No Where Man and the cave Dwellers! Too tell the differance in plastic rice and natural rice could be a good thing and that would be known only if you practice boiling rice! I would not like to see the day when bajan (Barbadian) women and men depend on the Orientals to feed them as a vast majority of American blacks have allowed Chinese fast foods establishments to be the main meal makers for their families. Knowing how to prepare Jug- Jug, Cou-Cou, deboning flying fish , and making Yam- pie are all Bajan triditions and least to forget the prepartion of sorrel and the ingredients to make it a real genuine old time beverage, The specified herbs and seasonings to make a Bajan Jerk rather than a Jamaican Jerk which I find that young Barbadians do not know the difference; these are all cultural and with culture being among our ministerial agendas I think that these thing should be learnt, taught and kept as national treasure. we have lost our old fashoned fish cake style and now we use the machined blended and kitchen aide blended batter. The small bits of finely chopped onion eschellot and Scots Bonnet pepper carry a different texture and attention to taste. At the old St Giles Boys and Girls schools you would have tasted those fish cakes of Mrs. Shephard; Merry Christmas everyone!

• Jennifer December 26, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Great first sentence. U got me so hungry. luv it.

10. Marvo Thorne
    Marvo Thorne December 26, 2017 at 4:46 pm

Wait as the only clown spend all day in the kitchen lol

• Bajan patriot December 26, 2017 at 6:08 pm

No marva you are not the only one. Woman like you are MIA. Keep cooking those tasty meals. Its the way to a good man’s heart. ❤

11. Kenneth king December 26, 2017 at 9:01 pm

I must say it’s shocking to see how we’ve turned away from Barbadian traditional food at home. This has nothing to do with with progress and of the times it’s just pure laziness and I cannot even call it a class thing because those smart rich people don’t ever get into such waste of money only the middle and lower social bracket.
    All I know is the message to our youth are really far fetched and needs back on track before all is lost and we will be buying package foods for Xmas in the future. I thought in secondary schools cooking was taught and loved? We better get our act together and take back our culture before it’s too late. This is not a good picture at all, it’s not tourist we are seeing staying at this establishment but locals changing the traditional values to commercial waste of culture that is foreign to us.

12. Veronica Wiggins
    Veronica Wiggins December 26, 2017 at 10:52 pm

So why were the supermarkets so full if no traditional Christmas lunch was cook at home?