Bad move!

CTUSAB president does not support extension of retirement age

President of the umbrella Congress of Trade Unions and Staff Associations of Barbados (CTUSAB) Cedric Murrell today questioned the move by Government to extend the retirement age beyond 65, suggesting that it was a “bad thing” for the country.

As a result of pension reform started in 2003, the pensionable age has been increasing by six months every four years from January 1, 2006, until it reaches 67 in January 2018 for unreduced pensions.

But in making his contribution to the 11th annual Ministry of Finance lecture series on the topic Development: Does it Build a Society? at the Courtyard by Marriott today, Murrell said: “I will tell you that I understand the change in retirement age to 67 was because of the pressure on the National Insurance, but it was a bad thing for Barbados.”

While stating that issue was debatable, he argued that there was a need for more “youthful brains” at this country’s helm, while publicly signalling his intention to step down from the presidency of CTUSAB by next September.

“I will tell you, I am determined and I have expressed within the Congress two years ago that I wanted to give up the leadership but nobody has come forward, [but] I have said to them whether anybody comes forward or not I am gone September coming, because that is the end of the term and I can go before,” the veteran trade unionist said.

Before an audience that included retired trade unionist and CARICOM Ambassador Robert Bobby Morris, Murrell, who has been the president of the CTUSAB since 2010 and also served as co-chairman between 1992 and 1994 when that association was known as the Coalition, admitted that he was currently running out of new ideas.

He also recalled that the island’s Social Partnership was started in the early 1990’s with young people at the helm, while stressing that it was it was time for another young brigade to take over the mantle.

“So understand, for you young people, the question of what happens to the Social Partnership is yours to take and carry. It is not for me because I was there when it started and right now I am running out of ideas as to where to carry it,” Murrell confessed, while urging the next generation of leaders to come forward.

“When people like Bobby and myself were in our late teens and early 20’s we were grabbing leadership. I was not afraid to step forward and say ‘this is what we want to happen,’” he said.

“The point I am making is that the opportunity is there for you to build and develop this society. Grasp them. I do agree that people like me really need to go home. Not to go home to waste away, but to accept and understand that you can draw on my experience and you can take it or leave it,” he added.

Suggesting that many of the challenges faced by young people today were not new, the veteran trade unionist and trained air traffic controller said it was about finding the right fix.

In this view he further encouraged the youth, saying “if it is that we are not giving you the opportunity, tell us so and send us home, but I am saying that when we look at the leaders of our society going back 50 years most of those people were in their 20s [when they started]. And people got to be permanent secretaries in this country in their late 20s and early 30s. Now they are getting there in their 50s and some in their 40s, but not many.

“What I am saying is that this country was developed certainly at that time, by the youthful brains. Perhaps our challenge is to get back there,” he stressed.

11 Responses to Bad move!

1. luther thorne December 16, 2017 at 1:29 am

Nonsense 1
    Roy Moore is in his 70s and was seeking election to the Senate in the USA.
    President Trump just became President @ 70 plus
    Sparrow sang that age is just a number.
    Granted that you are running out of ideas Cedric but I am sure that there are many of your ideas that have not be acted upon.
    Look the thing is to blend youth and experience. The experienced needs the youth and the youth needs the experienced. The guidance of the experienced plus the energy of the youth in combination. Each one teach one. What experienced people need to do is to take more care of their health. There are people over 80 who have energy to burn because they are eating right and exercising right. One of the sad things about Western society is the lack of knowledge re such practices.

• Carson C Cadogan December 16, 2017 at 5:26 am

He is absolutely correct, a lot of these old geezers need to go home and let the youth take over with fresh ideas.

• Sunshine Sunny Shine December 16, 2017 at 6:16 am

Oh lord, you must be drinking some new drink.

• harry turnover December 16, 2017 at 8:06 am

That is why Stuart and DEM got to go.They ALL had OLD GEEZERS ideas .Barrow did running tings from at sea and they were truly AT SEA with their policies and ideas.
        Let a youthful Mia take over…..C C C ,ya on de ball I read you loud and clear…but why the about turn though ?…seems like you are still hurting for not being recognize for your contribution to the art of yard fowlism on BT.

2. Heather Headley December 16, 2017 at 2:42 am

I think Cedric is frustrated that in the last 8 or 9 years, the social partnership has been badly politicized. He is certainly not running out of ideas as you have said Luther Thorne, but I think you are correct as you blend youth and experience. Also, there are others who do not like to give up their positions of authority, because they enjoy the ‘good life’ and all its accolades and benefits. Barbados needs to embrace succession planning and know when the ‘Old Brigade’ needs to fall back and make room for growth. This same failure to plan for your departure is stifling the growth in the church. I fully endorse your comment on the need for combined efforts, but won’t encourage older and supposedly ‘wiser’ people to stay for indeterminate periods. In fact, truth be told, there is much benefit in youthful exuberance and wisdom.

• harry turnover December 16, 2017 at 8:09 am

Frustrated ??? Murrell is a KNOWN DEM.The BEES poised to take over,so he meking sure he in waiting round to get sting .

3. Boyce Jr Angus
    Boyce Jr Angus December 16, 2017 at 3:34 am

After brekin down nis funds that is their only logical choice……I hope bajans see these dlp politicians is dead weight & we are stuggling swimmers,we barely treading water wid this dead weight government if we don’t ditch them they will drown us

• Deborah King
      Deborah King December 16, 2017 at 5:56 am

True true,I tired of this Government,really I am,,

4. Maureen Straker
    Maureen Straker December 16, 2017 at 8:03 am

Well why wunnah don’t run fuh office den..?

5. Helicopter(8P) December 16, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Now it’s important to have a, some one young and vibrant in any organization who can be taught the procedures and would have a keen knowlege of the operating process ! We should always bear in mind that the youth are the ones to manage our affairs in the long run. As we retire they are the one who are our being and our welfare. As the old saying goes “No one man is an island”!

6. Sisleen Greene December 16, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Can Cedric tell me which P.S was in their 20’s or 30’s in the earlier days. I joined the Service in 1971 and never had a P.S that was that age. Not even the S.E.O’s were in that age range. Why the lie?
    He ready to give up now cause it looks like his party is down and out.