New waste route

BWA looking to channel sewage into Bridgetown

Government is yet to say when the sewage mess along the south coast is likely to be resolved.

However, General Manager of the Barbados Water Authority (BWA) Keithroy Halliday this afternoon announced that the BWA was embarking on a new strategy in the hope of bringing relief to long-suffering residents and business operators, who have been affected by persistent sewage leaks over the past year.

While not offering any guarantees, Halliday told reporters that work would start immediately on linking the Bridgetown and south coast sewerage systems.

In this regard, he revealed that excavators, costing well over $1 million, which had been ordered two months ago through Innotech, would be deployed by the BWA.

BWA General Manager Keithroy Halliday (third from left) examining some of the excavation work that has already started at Bay Street with a view to linking the south coast and Bridgetown sewerage systems.

“As soon as the technical handover is completed, they will be put to use immediately, at least, in the first instance to assist us with the reactivation of the Bay Street lift station,” he said, while pointing out that some excavation work was already taking place “to make sure we can actually join one sewage network to the other”.

With the busy winter tourism season now about to begin and at the height of the festive Christmas season, the BWA head, who has been in office since February 15, said the idea was to bring some form of relief to the south coast, which is the island’s main tourist belt.

“This is one option being explored. There are really no guarantees. We are not absolutely certain it will work to the level or extent we want it to, but we cannot explore all of the options,” the BWA boss said, explaining that the additional load would be added gradually – one pump at a time – to the Bridgetown sewage system to ensure that it could be supported.

“In addition to that, we have to ensure we upgrade the pumping capacity at our River Road lift station and as well we need to make some changes in preparation at the Bridgetown sewerage plant. All of that is happening concurrent to the steps being taken on the south coast,” Halliday added.

He further explained that one of the tanks at the Bridgetown sewerage plant would be desludged and cleaned before it is put back into full operation.

“We recognize though that once you are connected, it is not necessarily a connection that we cannot control.  If we need to slow [it down], the sewage can flow or [we can] possibly close it off at any point in time. But this is just in an effort to relieve really what is going on the south coast in addition to other activities we are pursuing,” he added.

In a further move to help ease the pressure on the south coast system, the BWA general manager reported that one business – KFC – had already been disconnected from the network and the authority was “looking at the possibility of taking out maybe three or four others in the most critically-challenged areas”.

He explained that KFC had been operating on a dual system but its septic tank has now been recommissioned now that it has been taken off the south coast sewerage system.

“We are looking to see if there are any others where we can recommission the suck well or the septic tank,” he added.

“[However], at the end of the day, we are very sensitive to the fact that they need to stay open to make money. And as long as we can facilitate that, even if it for a week, two or three weeks, we need to try to do our very best, ” he said.

Halliday also gave an update on the tests done by an expert who was flown in from Trinidad and Tobago. He said those “dye” tests, which were conducted two nights ago, have confirmed what the BWA has been saying all along – that breaches in the sewage lines were responsible for the overflows of raw sewage onto the streets, especially in the Worthing, Christ Church areas.

“It was a confirmatory analysis or confirmatory investigation,” he said, adding that the same area identified by the BWA as having a possible breach was confirmed by the testing.

However, he said additional tests were being done to determine whether the breaches extended beyond the Worthing area.

Technical personnel are also due to explore the 15-foot deep underground sewage lines to find out the extent of the blockages and breaches.

“We [then] have to turn our attention to the effluent line and see whether we can fix that breach,” Halliday reported, while warning that the process will take some time and has to be carefully planned out. emmanueljoseph@barbadostoday.bb

15 Responses to New waste route

  1. Alwin Ellis
    Alwin Ellis December 14, 2017 at 10:03 pm

    Trouble heading Bridgetown,look out

    Reply
  2. luther thorne December 15, 2017 at 5:35 am

    Everything in Barbados seems a big challenge. There is complaining and more complaining. What are the Solutions ? Part of the problem is that nobody listens to anybody . If you not have a degree , some women bout here dismiss you as useless. Why women ? Check where the power and agency resides. There seems to be no carnal solution to Selfisness , Greed and Sloth

    Reply
  3. Tony Webster December 15, 2017 at 5:40 am

    Mr. Halliday: We used to have a St. Lucia-born lady in Speightstown, now long departed, who (it was alleged) cud tell you anything about anybody, and cud “fix” anything that ent going “your way”….so long as you put something in her hand. She might have taught her daughter how such things “wuk”….and you never know…it might be worth looking up any listing for Senh**se…in Speightstown area.

    Jes- trying to be helpful, Sir.

    Reply
  4. Harry December 15, 2017 at 6:42 am

    Mr. Halliday please dont get your fancy suit soiled.

    Reply
  5. harry turnover December 15, 2017 at 6:56 am

    The BWA wants to channel the South Coast SH8 into Bridgetown now when the blockage is occurring south of KFC somewhere along the South Coast ?

    Reply
    • tedd December 15, 2017 at 11:09 am

      it seems to be a multi pronged solutions

      Reply
  6. Greengiant December 15, 2017 at 8:09 am

    The more practical and cost effective solution is to replace the main pipes that are blocked.

    What will they do once the transfer to Bridgetown is effective?

    Close the south coast sewerage station?

    Will they leave the lines inactive for an extended period while the South coast station is being upgraded?

    This is heading for another and larger problem i’m afraid, but I guess the company involved will be making the last big pay day before elections are called. They already control the BOLT agreement with the BWA, so it’s more of the same thing.

    Since 1995 all we’ve got in barbados has been BOLT projects. Under the two major parties contractors have been allowed to build, and own entities, while our money is used to lease for extended periods at high costs, then the contractor transfer to us when the maintenance periods kick in so they make more money on the maintenance. The DLP, and BLP has practised this business agreement, while we pay with high taxes to support the huge dept.

    I just want to live long enough to see the back of them both, so Barbados can really breath clean political air again.

    Reply
  7. seagul December 15, 2017 at 8:14 am

    What about the riches they’ve made before.
    The crying earth the weeping shores…
    http://www.suncreed.com

    Reply
  8. John Everatt December 15, 2017 at 10:35 am

    At least the BWA is now trying to communicate although Ms Inniss seems to have gone silent and dropped out of sight. I hope this temporary solution works but I certainly have my doubts.

    Reply
    • tedd December 15, 2017 at 11:11 am

      it may be best she keep quiet and let Mr Halliday get to fixing the problems.

      Reply
  9. luther thorne December 15, 2017 at 11:50 am

    People dress in reflective jackets and hard hat . Man dress in suit and tie. Man they are bare jokers in Barbados. Dont know their hands from their feet nor their mout from their arse.

    Reply
  10. luther thorne December 15, 2017 at 12:04 pm

    Who is going to replace the BLP and DLP ? Greengiant answer.
    This is so impratical a solution and unrealistic. Granted some people are calling for that. Hey listen ! It is so stupid I am not gping any further. I dont know how you are going up and finish with two established parties just so. The two parties are institutions. Get real man ! Jeez !

    Reply
  11. Belfast December 15, 2017 at 6:29 pm

    The GM came on the job wearing a whole suit? This says a lot. I’ve never seen Frank McConey, Vince Yearwood, John Mwansa, or Nickey Sealey out in the field dressed like a dog’s dinner.

    Reply
  12. F.A Rudder December 16, 2017 at 4:19 pm

    For every Main Pump there should be a stand-by pump! Pump impellers and shafts have to be maimtained on a cycle maintenence program and logged attention is vital to its total break down operation. Correct lubricants and anticease compounds are a key factor in rebuilding these pumps. Chemical analsys of the ph levels at quarter of an hour intervals gives the chemical engineers that added info for nutralizing the induction and discharge!

    Reply
  13. F.A Rudder December 16, 2017 at 4:25 pm

    OSHA standards are not adheared to in Barbados that’s a shortfall. Construction sites are hard hat areas along with portsites and factory sites.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *