Lewis gets into trouble for wearing camouflage hat in The City

He was reportedly walking along Broad Street, The City, on Tuesday when he was stopped by a policeman and ordered to remove his illegal camouflage hat.

However, as soon as 24-year-old Jalani Lewis, of Woodbourne, St Patrick, Christ Church, lost sight of the lawman, he immediately donned his cap again.

But as fate would have it, he would meet up with the same officer again on a different street in Bridgetown.

“I buy that hat with my own money. Wunna always bullying people,” Lewis allegedly told the officer before he was detained and taken to a police station where a search of his backpack also revealed that he was in possession of 9.96 grammes on cannabis.

When the matter came up for hearing today before Magistrate Douglas Frederick, Lewis pleaded guilty to having the camouflage hat, as well as $50 worth of cannabis in his possession on December 12.

However, his attorney, Mohia Ma’at, described the facts outlined by the prosecution as “a set of nonsense”, while attempting to cast doubt over the police report that his client “took [the hat] off and put it back on and police find drugs”.

“This one really puzzles me,” the defence attorney said, while arguing that “if you have drugs in your pocket, you avoid the police at all costs”.

He therefore appealed to Frederick to be lenient with his client and to allow him to get into a drug rehabilitation programme.

Lewis’ mother, who he was previously accused of assaulting, was also present in court today.

“I have forgiven him . . . he is a good child, [but] I did not know he uses drugs. [In fact] I feel . . . it was not his drugs,” she told the magistrate, which prompted Frederick to ask the young man directly whether the illegal substance was indeed his.

“Yes Sir . . . I use it on weekends . . . . It relaxes me, . . . [but] I don’t smoke at home,” Lewis explained.

However, the magistrate pointed out to Lewis that while he had purchased the hat with his money, wearing camouflage was illegal in Barbados.

The court is to issue a ruling in the matter on Monday.

12 Responses to Lewis gets into trouble for wearing camouflage hat in The City

1. Eugene Lavine
    Eugene Lavine December 13, 2017 at 10:25 pm

The courts got time

2. Adrian December 13, 2017 at 11:26 pm

A mother would die for her child after what he previously did to her she told the magistrate its not his drugs its somebody else drugs. Oh what a nightmare sh

3. bk December 14, 2017 at 8:50 am

is this 2017?

4. Rhaj Paul W December 14, 2017 at 10:17 am

go an RH arrest Lewis Hamilton for being all bout BIm in camo clothes too daz wha! fro the airport to the beach to the interviews and bushy park, I ain see nobody trouble my dude yet!!!! these judges / police / systems feel that regular citizens can not see the hypocrisy? they feel that they can keep misjudging and disrespecting Bajans?? Just cause we mainly compliant… they got another coming if they don’t quit now. #dontbeadummy #treatpplright #camoisnotacrime #stopmakingitone

5. milli watt December 14, 2017 at 10:54 am

dis clown ain’t no lewis hamilton an you ain’t no bad man rhaj, clown want locking up………it is the best we can do for he

6. Ossie Moore December 14, 2017 at 12:26 pm

You can get arrested for wearing a camouflage hat or stealing a can of sardines or a pint n’ half bottle of white rum in “buh”bados but you will not be arrested for commuting murder or carrying assault weapons and shooting up people.

7. Haskell Murray December 14, 2017 at 1:22 pm

This is bare foolishness , there are some stupid laws on the books in Barbados that should be gotten rid of and these are two of them. In April this year a friend of mine from Toronto came to visit me in Barbados and only because he is originally from Jamaica they searched his luggage and found a camouflage pants which they took from him and told him that it was illegal to have it in his possession.This stupid law was brought in by the Tom Adams administration and needs to be repealed. My friend said to me why you didn’t tell me that Barbados has this stupid law.
    With regard to this you man this law was brought in before he was born and I am sure that he din’t know about its existence , further more his lawyer did not give him a good defense because the police had not right to search his backpack without a warrant and since his constitutional rights were breached this case should be dismissed but I doubt the judge will do the right thing in law because he too seems to also have breached this young man’s constitutional right .These lawyers are either poorly trained or they are part of the establishment.

8. Donild Trimp December 14, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Come on Barbados?

Arresting a citizen for wearing a camouflage hat in 2017?

How can my learned friends in Barbados embarrass themselves to the extent that they can condone arresting a citizen of Barbados for wearing a camouflage hat but allows people to walk around wearing a Niqab and Burqa.

What is happening to educated people in Barbados?

******** Jennifer, I need your help.

********Archy Pearch, what do you have to say about this stupidity?

9. Rick December 14, 2017 at 4:21 pm

He wasn’t arrested for wearing camouflage, he was arrested for breaking a law which I am quite certain he knew. You may think some laws are stop and need to be changed as I do but it’s still the law….and this one is not an unreasonable one.

10. Ossie Moore December 14, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Looka where you been? Tom did tell yuh nah wearing dem things bout hey ! You only mek yuhself a Bulls eye target and annuda ting don’t wear de trousers or shorts no where cross de island.

11. Helicopter(8P) December 14, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Maybe Tom was suffering from paranoia !

12. Donild Trimp December 14, 2017 at 6:47 pm

@ Rick –
    You are told the first day in law school that “the law is is an ass”.

Wearing a hat by itself should not be the catalyst for an arrest.

A policeman should be able to use discretion in certain circumstance and this is one of them. This is stupidity to the highest degree.

I was in Bridgetown last year and saw tourist wearing camouflage short pants. Saw some wearing those same camouflage caps. None were approached by Policemen, none were arrested.

My point is this, if the gentleman was wearing a camouflage pants and shirt with that hat, then I have no problem with the arrest.

The same standards should apply to visitors as well as locals.

The plantation mentality still exist in Barbados and Policemen with limited education are used to keep it that way.