Law could give paedophiles comfort, says senator Hunte

Government’s attempt to amend the Criminal Records Rehabilitation of Offenders Act got some pushback today from one of its own senators who is worried that sexual predators might find comfort in the amended legislation.

Senator Reginald Hunte offered conditional support to the Criminal Records (Rehabilitation of Offenders) Amendment Bill which seeks to reduce the time convicted persons must wait before they can apply to have their criminal records erased.

Hunte told the Upper Chamber that while he supported the amendment, he was concerned that paedophiles could end up having their history of sexual assaults removed from the records.

The Government senator contended there were “a lot of people” in Barbados who sexually abused young boys and girls years ago but never faced criminal prosecution.

He described Barbados as “push under the carpet society” where some people, because of their status in society, escaped criminal charges for their abuse of children; but he expected that the whirlwind of famous men falling from grace in the United States would soon happen here.

“The [amendment] is to give people a chance that they can walk the straight and narrow path. But for me, I have my reservations about what they have committed and for me, if you are a paedophile I have my reservations about you and I am saying that quite clearly.

“I have my reservations about you. I make no secret about it. I love children . . . . I support this bill even more than 110 per cent but I state my position in my capacity as a person who does a service for the community and the country,” Hunte told the Senate.

Meanwhile, Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry of Economic Affairs Jepter Ince said Barbados should always seek to be an inclusive society.

He said unless people felt wanted in the country and its justice system “then we are going to have problems”.

Furthermore, he said it was incumbent upon the society to seek to change lives for the better and for people to be optimistic about Barbados’ future.

10 Responses to Law could give paedophiles comfort, says senator Hunte

1. Mohammed Shakur
    Mohammed Shakur December 14, 2017 at 2:23 am

Noo

2. hcalndre December 14, 2017 at 4:19 am

Senator Hunte; I`m in agreement with you, I would like to know who Suckoo-Byer and her coterie is trying to protect. Once a paedophile always a paedophile and they should be known to the public and should not be seen in parks or in areas close to schools where they are children.

3. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner December 14, 2017 at 8:16 am

Good point senator but let’s be real big shot criminals have always been protected and will continue to be protected in Barbados the garbage slow justice system is just for the low hanging poor folks.

• Joy Wharton
      Joy Wharton December 14, 2017 at 12:35 pm

It’s not only ” big shots” but ” small folks ” the message should be clear from mothers, fathers, and ppl of good will, that behavior won’t be tolerated! Ppl should stay vigilant and pay attention to their children. Ask them questions and reassure them it will be handled

4. jrsmith December 14, 2017 at 8:46 am

I am so , so in agreement with the senator, but why do we in Barbados always have to wait on foreign sources to try and put things right in Barbados …….
    Adding to this I always say the day will come when the people who is protecting the evil ones and our big criminals in Barbados is going to need protection themselves and they families , then the ***t will hit the fan, you see them all running for cover……
    Living in the UK i was so surprise and shock ,when a society as like this started successfully prosecuting case which were decades old ….. But would anything like this happen in Barbados….no way…………………………………

5. Gillian Skeete
    Gillian Skeete December 14, 2017 at 10:19 am

No don’t do that? Why???

6. Ivana Cardinale December 14, 2017 at 11:26 am

In Barbados, sexual abuse, assault, misconduct, is not a crime. Rape either. An 11 year old girl that I know, was raped by a known Barbadian. The parents went to police and got him arrested: He paid a fine of $ 10.000 and he is walking freely on the streets of Barbados to rape more little girls. he will never be prosecuted. The justice system here do not prosecute rapist, but they prosecute and jail for 6 months someone that stole a ham or a tuna can? Something is very wrong here!

7. Maria Hall December 14, 2017 at 2:59 pm

So true Ivana Cardinale

All like now he would not be having S…. anymore.

So Serious.

8. Helicopter(8P) December 14, 2017 at 3:12 pm

Registered sex offenders indexed listings ? Forensics would have to play a major roll in bringing about justice. Victimization must be scrutinized !

9. Joy December 14, 2017 at 3:20 pm

Ivana Cardinale, how did he pay a fine of $10,000 if he was not convicted? A fine is a legal penalty.