Barbados commits to elimination of child labour by 2025

Barbados has become the ninth Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country to commit to a regional initiative to free Latin and America and the Caribbean of child labour by the year 2025.

Minister of Labour, Social Security and Human Resource Development Dr Esther Byer-Suckoo symbolically handed over the signed agreement to the Regional Director of the International Labour Organisation (ILO), José Manuel Salazar-Xirinachs, during the Organisation of American States (OAS) XX Inter-American Conference of Ministers of Labour held here from December 7 to 8.

This now brings to 28 the total number of participating countries in the initiative that seeks to accelerate the rate of reduction of child labour in the region and by 2025 to eliminate all forms of child labour, the ILO said in a statement released today.

It added that “the adhesion of Barbados reflects the commitment and importance attributed by the Caribbean countries to the tripartite collaboration and partnership among governments, and employers and workers organizations, as the region works towards achieving Target 8.7 of the 2030 Agenda”.

Barbados has so far ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child as well as ILO conventions 138 on the minimum age for admission to employment and 182 on the Worst Forms of Child Labour.

However, while 16 is the minimum age established for employment, official estimates done in 2014 suggested that the incidence of child labour, involving minors between five and 14 years of age, was 3.5 per cent.

As part of its efforts to combat the problem, Barbados has established the National Committee for Monitoring the Rights of the Child, which seeks to generate recommendations on policies that favour the rights of children and sensitizes communities on the matter. However, among the challenges is the creation of lists of light work and dangerous work for minors.

The other CARICOM countries taking part in the initiative are the Bahamas, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, St Lucia, Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago.

Also included are Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.

20 Responses to Barbados commits to elimination of child labour by 2025

1. Glenna Smith
    Glenna Smith December 11, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Is this a joke? 2025 is not good enough

2. Kirt Jordan
    Kirt Jordan December 11, 2017 at 11:19 pm

What evidence is there of child labour in Barbados?

• Leroy December 12, 2017 at 12:26 am

I second that, although the agreement is note worthy show me facts on child labour.
      When i was young i had to pick up and pack out bottles at my father shop and sweep.
      When my father was small he had to go to stand pipe for water for livestock and cut slip…is any of that regarded as child labour?

3. Jennifer December 12, 2017 at 4:58 am

Now what is the difference between funnelling and barrelling????? Is it me or are these people mere mirror images of their own ignorance to be led by the collar. Gesus. This is similar to the other idiot who talked about all these BLACK men in jail.

• Jennifer December 12, 2017 at 5:22 am

Are those estimates in 2014 from Barbados???? And what exactly is an official estimate??? If I were u people I would try looking at truancy and making it a serious scope.

4. archy perch December 12, 2017 at 5:29 am

Jennifer many times i find it difficult to understand your logic or to understand the trail of your submissions.

• Jennifer December 12, 2017 at 5:53 am

Don’t worry Archy hun the feeling is mutual.

5. hcalndre December 12, 2017 at 5:30 am

I surely would like to asked Esther Byer Suckoo where in Barbados is this child labor going on? Is it in factories on plantations, I don`t even know if any is still around, just say where. In the Latin Americas I know it was rampant, today I can`t say.

6. Saga Boy December 12, 2017 at 6:59 am

Perhaps before running your mouths you should first do the research. This while not being very widespread has been an issue not only in Barbados but throughout the region. We have Indian children working during school hours for years. We have instances of mothers selling their girl children for sex during school hours etc. https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ilab/resources/reports/child-labor/barbados

• Jennifer December 12, 2017 at 9:18 am

@Saga – WHO owns and controls the stores NOT alleys in swan street??? And who will continue to own and EXPAND from Swan street outwards???

7. michael rawlins December 12, 2017 at 7:55 am

Did anyone else beside me read the whole article?

8. Alex Alleyne December 12, 2017 at 10:22 am

New knew that “child labour” was large and troublesome in BIM. At 14 years old one must be in SCHOOL full time. A vacation “part-time pick” should not go down a “child labour’.
    I more see a problem in Barbados of “SLAVE-WAGES”.
    That is what need to be addressed.

• Jennifer December 12, 2017 at 11:02 am

And MANY children skip school regular.

9. milli watt December 12, 2017 at 11:50 am

I was atleast saying it would be better to cut cane than cut off fingers but I ain’t nuh minister who is a doctor. Come to think of it she might be right cause she real BRIGHT

10. Donild Trimp December 12, 2017 at 12:12 pm

@ Jennifer –
    You are on a roll today.

You knocked out Archy with that left hook. Not nice Jen, not nice.

Anyhow, back to the topic.

@Kirt Jordan –
    There was a time when Barbadians (mostly villagers) allowed their kids to “pick pond grass” (ages 5 to 15). I am assuming that is now a thing of the past.

In Barbados at present, some under age kids are working as house cleaners. That is a known fact.

The next one I have no concrete evidence of but was informed by someone on the island that some young girls ( 14, 15 and 16 years old) are engaged in the oldest profession.

Reach your own conclusion.

11. archy perch December 12, 2017 at 12:22 pm

Shame on you Donald. Jennifer’s balls go down the leg side.

12. Alex Alleyne December 12, 2017 at 12:50 pm

@DT, (12:12pm) I can go along with your last paragraph . Now if that is what they focus on , then SAY SO.
    Picking fares is a world wide thing.

13. Donild Trimp December 12, 2017 at 12:59 pm

@ archy perch –
    Lol !!! You guys are killing me today.

@ Alex Alleyne –
    “Picking fares is a world wide thing”

No need to be so explicit.

• Jennifer December 12, 2017 at 1:41 pm

@Donild – You as an old hand 🙂 know full well that Archy will not understand me, simple because we speak on two different plains. He would know about leg side as he speaks more political and Chronical getting caught up with them silly mid off’s and silly mid on’s. While I on the other hand chooses to speak more allegorical or metaphorical. But he is one on my favourites.

14. Sheron Inniss December 13, 2017 at 7:01 am

Is what we do in Barbados child labour? I do not consider assisting with chores, helping out in the family store, etc child labour. It teaches a child work ethics and such like. I have a problem with selling for sex but I do not know the figures for Barbados. As to advocating for elimination in other countries is a good thing to do.