Thief apologizes for robbing tourists

An apology for hurting this island’s bread-and-butter tourism industry was not enough to keep a 21-year-old man from spending the next 27 months at Dodds prison.

When Leroy Andrew Devere Deterville, of No. 92, Denton Road, Grazettes, St Michael, appeared before Magistrate Douglas Frederick this afternoon he wasted no time in pleading guilty to three theft offences.

On November 11, he stole a $100 bag, a $1,000 cellular phone, a $100 purse, a $35 lipstick, a $75 powder, a $20 lotion, a $30 dress, US$2,115 and BDS$461 belonging to Lalita Ramprashad, as well as a $396 pair of sunglasses belonging to Shilendra Dhanraj.

Three days later, he stole a $30 haversack, a camera worth CND$1,200, a lens worth CND$725, two memory cards worth CND$250, a cellular phone worth CND$1,000, a wallet worth CND$150 and US$5 belonging to Ramin Sabokbar.

On November 21, Deterville also stole a cellular phone worth US$500, a digital camera worth US$850, a US$160 wristwatch and a US$50 wallet belonging to Roland Jindra.

The victims were all visitors to the island who had ventured to beaches, such as Batts Rock, Brandons and Paradise.

“He waited for those persons to go into the sea and pounced,” the prosecutor, Sergeant Rudy Pilgrim, explained.

However, Deterville, who is well known to the court, said today he was sorry for all he had done.

“I apologize to my country . . . because of the tourism . . . because it helps the country.

“I was going through a rough time with me and my mother and I was trying to make ends meet,” he added before suggesting that he should be made to pay a fine or perform community service.

However, the magistrate suggested that the imposition of a fine may only result in Deterville “resorting to more crime” in order to make the payment. He was also rejected his appeal for community service, while taking serious issue with the accused man’s apology.

“You recognized the significance of [the tourism sector], yet you are damaging it because you are reckless”, Frederick said before sentencing Deterville to three consecutive nine-month prison terms for each count of theft.

11 Responses to Thief apologizes for robbing tourists

1. Judy Stanford
    Judy Stanford December 7, 2017 at 9:33 pm

I wonder if he is the one who stole our things!!! No place is safe anymore.

2. Ann Szebenyi
    Ann Szebenyi December 7, 2017 at 10:05 pm

If he stole all this stuff, not his first time…

3. Mario Andrew Williams
    Mario Andrew Williams December 7, 2017 at 10:13 pm

I wonder if the members of the DLP will apologize for the sewage spewing into the roads along the south coast as this now causing a problem with our bread and butter!!!!

4. Larry Thompson
    Larry Thompson December 7, 2017 at 10:19 pm

Any crime against tourist should feel the full weight of the law

5. milli watt December 8, 2017 at 7:55 am

it’s only a lil sewage

6. Carlisle Norville December 8, 2017 at 11:18 am

one thing for sure here in Beautifull Bim, only black people does break de law, I went into a well to do bagan home(whites) & their son was in one of the bedrooms, with the door open snorting cocaine , all de whites in Barbados drop down from heaven, with NUFF money in their pockets, to pay for ALL wrongdoing ,(LORD why I ain’t a white bagan, with de right connections( seriously cant these Harrison college ,& university graduates & professors etc, tell the minister of education, that to help solve disfuntional behavior ,you have to apply the science of child & adult psycoanalasis ,to acertain what problems the child is having in its home enviroment( child psycologist should be assigned to prolomatic schools ,to help boys & girls that are suffering from psycosomatic & deep psycological problems( de minister of education only putting on a show ,like a true politician its part of the politricks.1

• Jennifer December 8, 2017 at 4:53 pm

I am yet to understand why he felt the need to apologize!!!!!! You got 27 months lock down.

7. Donild Trimp December 8, 2017 at 2:57 pm

@ Carlisle Norville
    “LORD why I ain’t a white bagan”

Don’t have any of those “white bagans” in Barbados but nothing is stopping you from becoming a “white Bajan”.

8. Ossie Moore December 8, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Steal away at some beep black soil and some sweet potato digging, feel the loamyness of a rick agricultural soil there is nothing to recond with it ! “It leaves you brethless”! No not a Smirnoff

9. Rick December 8, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Tourism is very important but no more important than the property and lives of the local population….stop making it seem like tourism is more important than the live of the local people

10. Cecil P December 9, 2017 at 7:52 pm

it’s funny I was @ the bank @ north pole to day talking
    to the teller about vacation spots where u can’t leave the hotels on your own. so BIM came up she told me BIM is so expensive I said yes but you’re paying for your FREEDOM I told her u can walk around BIM any time of the day or night with anyone hardly bothering u the answer from her was you’re right I don’t hear of any problems there . when she told muh that . that made muh day I leave the BANK with a big smile on muh face