Still stalled

Maloney ‘frustrated’ with Hyatt delay

Ten weeks after Minister of Tourism Richard Sealy gave the assurance that construction work would begin on the controversial Hyatt Centric Resort on Bay Street, The City “in a matter of weeks”, the primary developer is expressing frustration over the fact that the 15-storey project has yet to get off the ground.

“Speak about frustrations, yes. It is never nice to have to deal with situations that really could be, and should be avoided. But it’s the nature of doing business,” Mark Maloney, the head of Vision Development Inc, admitted to Barbados TODAY.

The $200 million project, a vital part of Government’s plan for economic recovery, has been the subject of a court case for the past several months, with attorney-at-law David Comissiong challenging Prime Minister Freundel Stuart’s decision to give the go ahead for the proposed project.

Stuart, who is the Minister responsible for Town & Country Planning, has challenged Comissiong’s request for a judicial review of the permission granted to Maloney to build the multi-storey hotel, arguing that the social activist did not have either a financial or legal leg on which to stand in the matter.

It was on September 29 that Sealy told supporters of the incumbent Democratic Labour Party at a luncheon lecture that “construction is expected to commence, as I understand it, in another couple of weeks, and that too will give us 220-rooms and employ 250 people on completion”.

The minister made no mention at the time of the ongoing litigation.

High Court Judge Sonia Richards, who has heard the case, has yet to issue a ruling, much to Maloney’s dismay.

“Some people have strong feelings on things, and you have to accept that. We are in a democratic society and we go through our democratic process. But we are patient. We are persistent and we are persevering and hopefully the outcome would allow us to fulfill our vision as developers to Barbados and to the tourism industry,” Maloney told Barbados TODAY on the sidelines of the launch of the United Insurance Driving Skills Academy at the Bushy Park racing circuit in St Philip.

Still he was putting a positive spin on things, arguing that the project itself had not been delayed, but that projects of this nature were “extremely” complex and involved the design, execution, financing and legal components.

“We have been progressing on the developers’ side. We still have a few things we have to complete and we are hoping to commence as soon as those are over,” he said.

Maloney said the setback would not deter him from seeking to attract other hotel brands to Barbados.

In fact, he said a number of other such properties were in the pipeline, and that he would be involved, although he chose not to name them.    

“Absolutely, we are looking at others and other opportunities. We are hoping that they would materialize. We will continuously work on them and go through all the processes just as we did with the Hyatt. We have not circumvented any process. We have followed every process and everything that is required by the law and we are continuing to do so; and on future projects, make sure we continue to do the same that we are doing now,” he stressed.

Pressed to reveal any of the new hotel brands being contemplated, Maloney would only point to “several on the south and west coast we are looking at”.

Meantime, Comissiong today reiterated the point that the developers were free to start construction since there was never an injunction as had been reported previously. 

However, he explained that it would be at their own risk, considering the possibility that the ruling could be in his favour. 

emmanueljoseph@barbadostoday.bb

16 Responses to Still stalled

  1. Jennifer December 7, 2017 at 10:26 pm

    god help this people.

    Reply
  2. Dick Tracy December 7, 2017 at 10:51 pm

    Why don’t you go back and straighten out Coverley while you waiting before that gas station blows up the whole community. Everything by the book BS, like your building for Rock Hard cement with no permit. Developers have to keep developing to pay for their previous projects until they can off load them as in your case to the government.

    Reply
  3. MARIA Holder December 7, 2017 at 11:06 pm

    Sewage, sewage every where. The system cannot accommodate no hotel at this time. Was over by Hilton recently and the smell appears to be reaching there or they are having problems to

    Reply
  4. andy g December 7, 2017 at 11:41 pm

    What a pity!people who cannot contribute to the country ,but criticize, find fault, negative comment on every thing.Shut up cause you all will stay just where you are,while those who you try to pull down advances to higher standards.achieve financial stability,and keep climbing while you keep on fuming .start thinking and saying positives thing, form positive opions,then only then you will see thing moving in your favour.

    Reply
    • John Everatt December 8, 2017 at 12:48 am

      My positive thoughts on this are that it would be grand if the courts ruled that there indeed has been no environmental impact study on this in the last 5 years therefore the prime minister would be breaking the law if this Hyatt project were to be permitted.

      Reply
    • roger headley December 8, 2017 at 8:41 am

      You assume that persons who comment here are not contributing to the economy. Paying taxes through your teeth – what do you call that?

      Reply
  5. Harry December 8, 2017 at 4:43 am

    @ maria it is no surprise that you smelt what you did on your recent visit to the Hilton as the discharge for the South Coast sewerage system is located by the Hilton. Sewerage is piped from Graeme Hall to the Hilton and then discharged into the sea.

    Reply
  6. Alex Alleyne December 8, 2017 at 5:03 am

    “In a matter of weeks”. There are 52 weeks in a year, 104 in two years and so on. The minister just “say things as per usual”.
    Remember LIAT was coming back to BARBADOS ????….. weh it deh.

    Reply
  7. straight talk December 8, 2017 at 9:48 am

    So many things gone wrong in this country so many things need to be fix and you frustrated about a hotel being stalled. Mark you are only concern about yourself you got to do as you like for nine years because of who and what you have in your pocket just like thee man that own Jada construction and thee others like sinkler and he crew.

    Reply
    • Jennifer December 8, 2017 at 10:22 am

      Yep. And then within the article you get a wash-pan of conflicting information, which make you really think – gosh and mislead too.

      Reply
  8. Mack December 8, 2017 at 10:40 am

    What about all these engineers in Barbados. Is there anyone among them to figure out this problem and fix it??????????

    Reply
  9. milli watt December 8, 2017 at 12:33 pm

    you can’t see I got problems wid sewage………sstttuuupppsssseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    Reply
  10. Helicopter(8P) December 8, 2017 at 1:18 pm

    Remembering school days in Barbados where we were told by our homework assignment teachers ” Please complete home work assignment before next subject period. “Town and country planners have been caught with their pants down”. No foresight, no innovation and no concrete input into specific areas of our infrastructure such as design and capacity of our sewer-system and limitations to volume inflow. Technologically advanced countries who invest in businesses around the globe research their environment in which they are about to venture. In a situation such as this.; we having sewer problems and with Barbadian nationals if not individuals have negative inputs into their investments those countries and private companies will think twice before venturing into non productive arenas.

    Reply
  11. Donild Trimp December 8, 2017 at 2:37 pm

    Mark, as much as I admire your entrepreneurial acumen, I cannot back you on this one.

    There must be an impact study to ascertain if that area can withstand such a project. This is basic common sense.

    No one will argue against the positives associated with new developments but everyone will argue against the concept of development without a careful impact study of the environment and surrounding areas.

    With the current embarrassment along the South Coast which a certain Minister attributed to development without permission, all Barbadians should be skeptical when it comes to new developments going up on the island.

    Cross all your T’s and dot all your I’s and then all right thinking Barbadians will be able to come to an informed decision.

    The era of backroom dealings is over.

    Reply
  12. Helicopter(8P) December 8, 2017 at 5:39 pm

    Mr.Worme a geologics specialist could assist in some of the data if allowable equiptmemt could be obtained for the benifit of the nation’s people.

    Reply
  13. Sheron Inniss December 8, 2017 at 9:24 pm

    The study was not done. The PM was wrong to give the go ahead. Furthermore we have too many hotels on the coast.

    Less is sometimes more. We do not have infinite resources. If the yardfowls don’t get it I mean if you have 10 people to feed and you only have enough for 8 then all would have to accept less or 2 might have to starve.

    Stressing the delicately balanced eco-system just have us up s**t creek.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *