Businessman unhappy with Sol’s handling of Esso contract termination

With 40 displaced workers at Esso Black Rock, St Michael, due to receive their full severance packages this week, businessman Paul Williams is still seething over the sudden termination of his management contract by energy giant Sol.

“If they knew that they were ending the contract they should have given me adequate notice because five or six weeks is not adequate notice for someone who was there for 23 years,” Williams told Barbados TODAY this morning, adding that workers were only given two and a half weeks notice of their terminations.

The Esso gas station in Black Rock, St Michael is to get new management.

He also said while the severed employees had been invited to apply for jobs at other Sol owned stations, there were no guarantees that the new management at the Esso Black Rock station would rehire any of them.

“Some of them called up me up to today saying that they had calls from Sol that they would be relocated at some other gas stations [and] when we had the meeting they [the workers] were given sheets to fill out so that they could be put in the system, [but] there is no guarantee that under the new dealership they would get employment, which I believe, is unwise because I have taken over several gas stations and when I do that I take on the full staff because the customers are familiar with workers. So I hope  [new management] would keep some of them because if they don’t they are going to lose quite a few customers,” Williams said.

The businessman also described the reaction of the workers to their severance as mixed.

“I have gotten different responses from some, there are those who are just happy to get their severance and go home and rest for a while, others are a bit more anxious about their employment prospects for the future [given] the economic hardship that the country is facing.  It might be a little harder for the supervisors, but I try to encourage them to keep trying because they have the experience that most employers want,” he explained.

Barbados TODAY reached out to Sol for comment, but was told that the persons overseeing the transition were unavailable.

16 Responses to Businessman unhappy with Sol’s handling of Esso contract termination

1. Larry Thompson
    Larry Thompson December 4, 2017 at 9:46 pm

Greed continues to kill us all

2. Dario December 4, 2017 at 10:01 pm

a rubis would have been sweet there… hint hint…. SOL and simpson motors run by bullies

3. Judy Stanford
    Judy Stanford December 4, 2017 at 10:57 pm

They have a great staff at that location, Sol would be a fool not to keep them on.

4. Jennifer December 5, 2017 at 5:37 am

They don’t care hun – just business.

This is one of the products of a funnelled education.

• Jennifer December 5, 2017 at 5:45 am

23yrs – not moved???? come on.

5. Red man 246 December 5, 2017 at 6:58 am

Lol there is more to it than that and I have never see some place get the rid of good ppl to get lil children to do the work what the paper got to do is ask Sol why

6. Greengiant December 5, 2017 at 7:42 am

He should blame Esso for not addressing these things during the sale process. Esso too only cared about the money.

Williams and his staff has offered excellent service at that location for the duration of 23 years. The service is so good it seems like yesterday. Sad if there’s new employees there, this would show that even delivering quality service for several years won’t secure your job.

7. Valerie Marshall
    Valerie Marshall December 5, 2017 at 8:40 am

If this could happen to an outstanding dealer with 23 years in the business it is very concerning for the other dealers including my family with over 40 years. Are we going to be treated the same way? Where is Fair Trading?

8. Helicopter(8P) December 5, 2017 at 11:03 am

Esso is the establishment to give their staff transparency !

9. DE December 5, 2017 at 11:11 am

That is bear anger. The man just lost the opportunity the government had offered and wanted him to have. I would be more than sure that gas station was opened Friday when I pass there and to my surprise when I pass there Saturday night it was all fenced up.

10. Adtian Hinds December 5, 2017 at 2:13 pm

It was only a matter of time before private sector Barbados showed their known ugliness after they mrched with the unions against government. I would never be seen in a solidarity event with these bastards.

11. Anderson Kellman December 5, 2017 at 6:43 pm

My experience has been excellent at that gas station.

12. Sarifa Patel December 5, 2017 at 7:33 pm

For 23 years that station ran successfully under Mr. Williams. An honest business if ever there was one. His staff loved him, many were with thru out those 23 yrs. I can almost guarantee that whenever esso had a problem I am sure he was one business man they called upon. Greed by the owners of Sol is one motiveas one comment said. I can assure you that he wont lose one customer for if God be for you no man can be against. You.Man may have closed the door behind an honest man but God will open many more. Mr. Williams in our walk in life we have our ups and downs but the God of the bad times is also the God of the good times. You will have a prosperous future way exceedingly above the past.

13. The Negrocrat December 5, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Bajans talk and talk, but refuse to take their money and walk.
    SOL should feel a loss of business over this issue

• Sarifa Patel December 5, 2017 at 8:24 pm

They are going to you cannot do an injustice and get away scotch free. God wears pyjamas but he neither slumbers or sleeps. God will bless.

14. F.A.Rudder December 6, 2017 at 4:50 pm

Please stick to the point of business! Esso South America Limited is the identity to transpire transparency to its workers especially Management staff! Where are your mental facalties contributors?