Three new knighthoods welcomed

Praises were heaped on one of Barbados’ newest knights, Sir Charles Griffith, today by businessman Rawle Brancker, who said the former Barbados and West Indies cricketer was truly deserving of the accolade.

During a short ceremony to unveil a plaque in honour of his late Barbados Lumber Company Limited co-founder Amory Phillips this afternoon, Brancker also recognized the contribution of the 78-year-old retired cricketer for his contribution to the growth of the company.

“When we were planning this function we did not know that we would have in our function Sir Charles Christopher Griffith. Congratulations, I am sure I speak on behalf of everyone here at the Lumber Company, that we are elated. We think that it is well deserved,” Brancker said following the official announcement made in this year’s Independence Day honours list.

Sir Charles Griffith (left) receives a token of appreciation from founder of the Barbados Labour Company Rawle Brancker (right) during a ceremony to unveil a plaque at the company’s Speightstown location in memory of co-founder Amory Phillips.

“Sir Charles we are delighted that you have been able to show to many in this country that their hopes and aspirations can be met,” he added.

However, when approached for comment Sir Charles said he would speak on his knighthood at a later date.

In the meantime, veteran land surveyor and property valuation professional Warwick Franklin – now Sir Warwick – told Barbados TODAY he was pleased with his honour.

“I worked very hard in my community to serve my people for 13 years and even if I may say so, I served them with distinction,” said Sir Warwick, adding that he always went out of his way to do the very best he could.

Sir Warwick, who is a Democratic Labour Party stalwart and former Cabinet minister, said he was able to assist many people in his civic and political lives “and I continue to do what I can to make Barbados a better place.”

“I am grateful to God for giving me the strength in body. I am grateful to my immediate family, particularly my wife, my brothers and my sons and daughters. I am grateful to those persons who worked with me over the years and are familiar with the efforts I have put in, both in valuation and surveying profession,” he said, while recalling that he was one of the first persons to develop a valuation division in Barbados.

Newspaper publisher and broadcaster Anthony Bryan was also knighted in this year’s Independence Honours list, a feat which he attributed to his focus on “presenting a positive, balanced credible view of Barbados”. He has therefore accepted his knighthood with great pride.

In all 41 awards were conferred on Barbadians this year for their outstanding contributions in a wide variety of areas, including entertainment, mental health, teaching, trade unionism, special education and small business.

11 Responses to Three new knighthoods welcomed

1. luther thorne December 2, 2017 at 12:05 am

I love the persons ” knighted” but do not like the class distinction , Elitism and snobbery associated with the nonsense. I would stop it if I had any say .America aint got nothing so . Steuuuuuuupse !!
    Damn Nonsense.

2. Epaphras D. Williams
    Epaphras D. Williams December 2, 2017 at 1:48 am

The government really should educate the masses about knighthoods and why they have associated the country with the patron saint of Scotland (St.Andrew) whose memorial incidentally falls on November 30.

• Richard Johnston December 2, 2017 at 4:59 am

Why bother?

• Jennifer December 2, 2017 at 10:52 am

Epaphras D. Williams – ur funny.

3. marva December 2, 2017 at 7:53 am

Is there a mistake in the caption?

4. luther thorne December 2, 2017 at 9:49 am

Why bother ?
    Black Lives Matter

• Richard Johnston December 3, 2017 at 6:57 am

But knighthoods don’t

5. Ric December 2, 2017 at 11:28 am

OMG! OMG! Emmanuel Joseph has been a reporter and or journalist (and I used that word sparingly) for how many years now? I’m sure for more than 25 years and yet cannot see that Barbados Labour Company is a massive mistake? Ok, so it’s not that big a deal. Ok, it’s not his fault. Ok, it’s a typo. So let’s go with it’s a typo. I’m sorry for blaming you Emmanuel.
    Where then are the editors? How can this paper be allowed to be put up on the internet with such a mistake? It’s the Barbados Lumber Company for goodness sake!!! I honestly would love somebody from Barbados Today to explain to me how a mistake like this could be made because as soon as I read the caption under the picture I knew it was a mistake. Isn’t this what the editors are supposed to do? Didn’t somebody, anybody see this before the article was posted?
    And before people start to buewes me for not recognizing that the story is about 3 new Barbadians Knights, let me congratulate the gentlemen. They are all highly deserving.
    One question as I close though, how come a woman was not knighted? 3 men!!! Couldn’t the powers that be not find a woman who’s contribution to the advancement of Barbados was enough to be knighted this year?

6. hcalndre December 2, 2017 at 1:05 pm

If or when Barbados becomes a republic, would “Sir” be still use as a handle?

7. luther thorne December 2, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Women ?
    Who ?
    Name one

8. Jennifer December 3, 2017 at 12:18 pm

The day this naval cord and bridles are severed and removed will be a glorious day indeed. We first have to get rid of the harbingers and blind watchmen lying on the walls and then close up the breeches.