Rihanna honoured

Barbadians are being encouraged to believe in their dreams.
International superstar Rihanna issued the advice during a ceremony held yesterday where Westbury New Road, where she spent her childhood, was renamed Rihanna Drive.
“I couldn’t be more honoured to have the street that I was raised on, the street that I grew up on . . . my dreams were born on this very street right here. I know that the saying believe in your dreams sounds cliché but I guarantee you that the only thing that got me here was believing in my dreams. I never doubted it. I didn’t know how it was going to happen, I know I was hitting away at this little rock, Barbados and [saying] how would anybody find me, but I always knew it would happen. I always focused on the result,” Rihanna told the crowd including Prime Minister Freundel Stuart, Chief Justice Sir Marston Gibson, members of Cabinet, Opposition Leader Mia Mottley and other officials, who braved the inclement weather for the Independence Day event.
She explained that there were days when she was a bit “doubtful” and “discouraged” but faith keep her reaching for her dreams.
“It really was just faith, that childlike faith and even now, when I get a little bit discouraged or doubtful, it’s the thing that I go back to, having faith in God.
“I want to encourage not just the people of Westbury New Road and [the] community but all the people of Barbados, all the young women and young men, who have dreams and think that the world is up against them, it is possible so just keep believing. Never forget that faith could go a very, very long way,” Rihanna who was beautifully dressed in gold said.

The ceremony began almost two hours later the scheduled due to the pouring rain. However those in attendance waited patiently for the golden girl who Prime Minister Stuart said was deserving of the honour bestowed on her on the country’s 51st Independence anniversary.
“We thought it fitting that on this day, Independence 2017, we should express our deep appreciation of the many ways in which you have shown your love for Barbados.
“I consider her achievements a tremendous feat and not an easy one for a young black female from the Caribbean who has prevailed in a hugely competitive environment. Rihanna will go down in Barbadian history as a multitalented Bajan, a skill entrepreneur, cultural ambassador and caring world citizen,” Mr Stuart said.

Rihanna’s legacy he further explained would be reflected in the renaming of the road and would also positively uplift the Westbury community.
“Residents can identify closely with the person in whose honour this road is being renamed. Visitors to the island will be able to connect with you in this place.
“We can risk saying that Rihanna Drive will become a hub. It will accentuate this entire area and become another significant landmark for Barbados,” the Prime Minister added.

11 Responses to Rihanna honoured

1. Saga Boy December 1, 2017 at 12:42 am

This was a ceremony, desiringly so fitted for a Queen. Long live Rihanna.

2. maxsteel December 1, 2017 at 6:09 am

I’m happy for her , but them could have pave the road not just patch it them knew it was going to be renamed ,,, stupeee this goverment sucks, them pave road for a non bajan to drive on (prince)

3. Alex Alleyne December 1, 2017 at 6:14 am

Great for Queen Rihanna. Next is ALISON HINDS.

4. seagul December 1, 2017 at 6:44 am

The Barbadian people are an extraordinary people. We are naturally hospitable and full of character. We work hard to develop our country and just try to honestly do our best. A real challenge lies in trying to keep our heritage as we rely almost entirely on foreign exchange. What’s important is an awareness of the heritage we have, so that the new generation can see all the beauty that has been pass from generation to generation. So the true soul of Barbados is its people……Queen Rihanna One love

5. Caribbean 'oman December 1, 2017 at 8:51 am

Oh yeah, second that thought!! @ Alex Alleyne

6. milli watt December 1, 2017 at 9:25 am

nniiiiicccceceeeeeeeeeeeee…………..very NICE!

7. Bajan Patriot December 1, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Wait. Shirt jacks in style? Wow that’s so 1970s!

8. Rodney Callender December 1, 2017 at 9:18 pm

Maxsteel ya mean u cant left out de yardfowlism for at least once? It was a fantastic ceremony mannn. U got a serious problem. Your heart must be burn u to see Mia and a lot of your cohorts there. Even them aint had nutten bad to say. So u and ya partner Bajan Patriot out to sea by wunna selves on this one. So come agen. Well done Ri Ri, all the non – political pimps in Barbados luv ya badd.

9. Quostan Peters December 1, 2017 at 10:37 pm

Congratulations to you Rihanna!!!!!

10. Jus me December 2, 2017 at 6:30 am

Congratulations all round, Barbadian World beater

I was DUMBFOUNDED to the PM stupsee name
    ABOVE
    That of our World Star.
    Somebody should tell that idiot which side he bread buttered.

11. Jus me December 2, 2017 at 8:28 pm

Congratulations.
    Pity . Sleepy got to grab some of yuh glory,
    Plastering he stupsee name above yours