Cherry ordered to close offensive dump immediately

The Ministry of Health today issued an abatement notice instructing Project Recycling Limited at Lower Estate, St Michael to cease its operations.

The company, which is owned by prominent waste hauler Anderson Fat Child Cherry, was also ordered to clear the site of all materials within four weeks.

In a statement issued by the Barbados Government Information Service, the ministry said this evening that the order
came after an investigation revealed that the site was being used as a dump, despite numerous complaints by residents of smoke and foul odours emanating from the compound.

“The Barbados Fire Service, along with Environmental Health Officers, were in the area again today responding to a report of smoke. As a result, the Ministry has advised residents who may experience respiratory problems that they should seek medical attention at the Fast Track Service at the Winston Scott Polyclinic, Jemmotts Lane, which is open until 10 p.m. tonight and from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday,” the statement said.

“Residents may also seek attention at the Accident & Emergency Department of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital,” it further advised.

Cherry, whose operations have been under close scrutiny, was previously served with enforcement and stop notices by the Town & Country Planning Department back in 2015 and since April, 2016.

His controversial Lower State operation is also the subject of an ongoing court case.

5 Responses to Cherry ordered to close offensive dump immediately

  1. John Everatt December 1, 2017 at 11:17 pm

    The Ministry of Health can close down Mr. Cherry’s operation but can not seem to do anything about the South Coast sewage all over the road. This has become a daily occurrence now and is not a minor inconvenience. Sewage all over the road is a health hazard that is undoubtedly more serious and affects more people the some smoke from Mr. Cherry’s dump. But then again the BWA if a government corporation so I guess they can get away with it.

    Reply
  2. Alex Alleyne December 2, 2017 at 7:28 am

    “Residents may seek medical attention”, who will foot the bill for transportation and medication ??????. Not all medication is “FREE” from the policlinic/hospital.
    Next and with such speed , the fire department should go about the Island and make sure these over grown lots are cleaned and neighbours stop burning stuff at will………PERIOD.

    Reply
  3. Carson C Cadogan December 2, 2017 at 8:47 am

    That is what should have been done from the beginning.

    Reply
  4. Alex Alleyne December 2, 2017 at 10:43 am

    I smell POLITICS here……..CCC.???????.

    Reply
  5. gsmiley December 2, 2017 at 3:01 pm

    Its a health hazard Alex. What politics what.

    You should try living in the area.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *