Health officials keeping a close eye on sewage problem

Authorities say they are closely monitoring developments along the south coast where sporadic sewage leaks are considered a potential health hazard.

Acting Chief Medical Officer Dr Anton Best also assured this afternoon that the Ministry of Health was leaving no stone unturned in its quest to ensure that public health was protected.

“It falls under our domain to protect the health of persons. We are aware when [the leaks] happen and we are doing all we can to mitigate against the health impacts,” Dr Best told Barbados TODAY, adding that the ministry was currently working in collaboration with the Barbados Water Authority and the Environmental Health Department to resolve the problem.

“The Environmental Health Department is aware of the challenges and continues to collaborate with the Barbados Water Authority in resolving it because it is a potential health hazard,” the Acting CMO said.

He said the sporadic sewage overflows, which have been ongoing for the past year, were of serious concern to the ministry.

“And that is why the Environmental Health Department at the respective polyclinics pay very close attention to this matter,” the senior health official emphasized.

Just last week, Minister of Water Resource Management Dr David Estwick issued the warning to Barbadians and visitors alike that they may have to stomach the recurring sewage stench along the south coast for a while longer.

In response to persistent complaints from residents and business operators in the area that the sporadic problem of raw sewage overflowing into the streets was simply not going away and was ruining their lives, Estwick said there could be no permanent relief until a modern treatment plant was built, even though he could not say definitively when the situation would be fully remedied.

He also appealed to affected residents and business operators to bear with the authorities given the magnitude of the challenges being experienced with the existing system for which he stressed that there was no quick fix solution.

4 Responses to Health officials keeping a close eye on sewage problem

  1. Ras Small
    Ras Small November 29, 2017 at 10:05 pm

    And it will only be made wussa when dat new hotel finish get build down Bay street. Add to dat traffic flow problems.

    Reply
  2. BIGSKY November 30, 2017 at 2:01 am

    This article reads:Health officials keeping a close eye on sewage problem which I think is a mistake,instead it should read:HEALTH OFFICIALLY KEEPING A CLOSE NOSE ON SEWAGE PROBLEM.

    Reply
  3. Belfast November 30, 2017 at 2:09 pm

    Recently there was a name change to Ellerslie School and the Child Care Board. This ongoing sewerage problem on the south coast has also forced some name changes there.
    We now have Shi*-in-barn, Worthing Poo Office, Messy Supermarket and Mucky Horse Shoe.

    Reply
  4. F.A.Rudder November 30, 2017 at 3:12 pm

    Limiting the volume of intake by eliminating further development of residential and hotel property along the South Coast; planner and economist would have to formulate a plan to progress Barbados into the next 30 years which could accommodate a healthy balanced economy between Tourism , Agriculture, manufacturing and outsource construction!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *