Bajan attitude towards LGBTI costing the island key resources, advocate says

Barbadians are being accused of having a mindset towards the lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and intersex (LGBTI) community that predates the biblical flood, but which is costing the island key resources.

LGBTI advocate Alexa Hoffmann said that the country was losing a talented sub section of its society who were seeking refuge abroad due to continuous discrimination and violence here.

Alexa Hoffmann

While providing no statistics to back up the claim, Hoffmann told the launch of this year’s Barbados Pride Weekend that the level of discrimination had reached intolerable levels.

“Over the years there has been an exodus of LGBTI persons from Barbados due to stigma, discrimination and violence, and it has now reached such an extent that I fear if our country does not extricate itself from this antediluvean fixation on an individual’s personal life, it will prove to be a great economical woodworm in the future,” Hoffmann said at the Canadian High Commission.

“Too many lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, with much to offer which could help build our economy and raise our country to new heights, are being chased away from us, and when they have flourished to their full potential and ability, Barbados is unable to benefit because that flourish has occurred in another country, for the benefit of another society,” she stressed.

However, the Barbados Pride Weekend coordinator said Barbadians should be comforted by the fact that the level of attacks were fewer here than in other Caribbean countries such as Jamaica.

Still, she said abuse was commonplace among the LGBT community, with many victims choosing to stay silent until they were “near crisis point”.

“Ultimately, the turmoil was severe enough to make them [victims] feel unsafe in the country where they were born, raised, and which endowed them with constitutionally entrenched and inalienable rights,” she said.

“Transgender persons are not fully understood in Barbados and visibility is often murky, and few have the emotional fortitude to make the necessary moves to improve the overall visibility of the transgender community here. Nevertheless, abuse is abuse, whether inflicted upon a gay or bisexual man or woman, or a transgender man or woman, and every effort must be taken to stamp it out, whether or not our lawmakers wish to co-operate with us,” Hoffmann said.

Also speaking at the launch which coincided with the United Nations’ 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence, Canadian High Commissioner Marie Legault, endorsed the initiative saying, “We need to ensure that no one is left behind. We need to ensure that everybody is granted the fundamental right to participate fully in society and to be included and accepted no matter what is one’s sexual orientation or gender identity”.

The campaign for the 16 Days of Activism is themed Leave No One Behind: end violence against women and girls. Legault, in her speech, said that through this initiative the Canadian High Commission was “advocating for . . . an end to laws, violence and discrimination around the world”.

116 Responses to Bajan attitude towards LGBTI costing the island key resources, advocate says

1. Epaphras D. Williams
    Epaphras D. Williams November 25, 2017 at 3:23 am

Ladies and gentlemen, I am wondering why reform is not a part of LGBT mandate? Let’s talk acceptance but please don’t neglect reform. Hand wash hand, ok? Peace and love.

2. Sonia Brathwaite
    Sonia Brathwaite November 25, 2017 at 4:16 am

These people tell a lot of lies in order to permanent residence in Canada and elsewhere. They are making Barbados look bad. They are all speaking without bringing any facts or evidence.

• Christopher Foster
      Christopher Foster November 25, 2017 at 7:24 am

Put the legislation and protective measures in place here to protect Dee people, then government can then say no they are lying, here is what we have put in place, XYZ. Until then, Barbados can’t come and say nothing!

• Christopher Foster
      Christopher Foster November 25, 2017 at 7:29 am

They are right to make Barbados look bad. Many LGBT tourists refuse to step foot on shore because of the outdated laws. Not saying that everyone must accept, however the laws must be updated to protect all members of society. So until then, go and get the Canadian dream and leave the NSRL capital.

• lester November 25, 2017 at 10:57 am

update what laws? and why?

• Enam Idrissa
      Enam Idrissa November 25, 2017 at 8:05 am

You think that they just let you waltz into Canada without some degree of evidence?

• Ricky Bynoe
      Ricky Bynoe November 25, 2017 at 8:59 am

To stay in Canada they have to provide evidence.

• Kayden Jada
      Kayden Jada November 25, 2017 at 11:19 am

Agreed

• Sherlene Phillips
      Sherlene Phillips November 25, 2017 at 2:15 pm

That is not true…They do not need any significant evidence. I actually went to a case overseas …they base decision on the law of the land and the person story. If buggery illegal in Barbados that is enough. They will win the case

3. archy perch November 25, 2017 at 4:52 am

The push is on, strike up the band. Ladies and gentlemen, you are being warned. Gay marriage will be legislated in Barbados next year after the crooked Barbados Labour Party wins the general elections. Mark my words. The LGBT movement has found the BLP bosom to parade in and most likely all the queers would be voting for that crooked party candidates. The Democratic Labour Party has been on record early up, saying NO to gay marriage in Barbados. With CBC TV8 programme Outloud, and Peter Wickham pushing for it on Brasstacks, Barbados is in for a Category 5 invasion of radical change. Say anything against LGBT in the future and before the courts and maybe jail you can go. And you know what happens in jail! This is serious business going on here, and Canada -Marie Legaulk – needs to STOP meddling in Barbados’s political and social affairs.We are a sovereign island. People Google these: AG:Gay people not persecuted in Barbados dated 12 April 2017; Gay friendly, Barbados Today April 14, 2017 ; Gay marriage non-issue May 30th, 2013; No gay push, Nov 20, 2011; Dear: Cash in gay Tourism Nov 4,2011; Talk back: readers see no reason to focus on gay tourism Nov 7, 2011; No Mr. Cameron no Nov 6, 2011; Bajan gays upset Feb 27, 2011; and Gays fleeing island home Sept 25, 2016. FIGHT BACK PEOPLE. Fight back !

4. archy perch November 25, 2017 at 5:33 am

LGBT….Let’s Get Barbados Tough…and fight back against these people. Utter nonsense threatening our society, within which persons of such ilk have always existed. Canada needs to STOP meddling in our affairs, that’s what. This relatively new High Commissioner has crossed the line here. We are a sovereign island.

• d-coolie-man November 25, 2017 at 8:05 am

It wouldn’t b long before those who commit acts of bestiality come out and demand that their should be no discrimination against them for going to bed with goats,sheep pigs etc.etc..

• Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 9:00 am

@d-coolie-man Well said – that coming next. Break down and install this lgbt part first. No flood this time though>>>>>>>>>> fyah in wanna…… Keep watching. Now u see why the scriptures talks about separateness among people.
        NO ONE CAN MAKE ANOTHER PERSON ACCEPT WHAT THEY DO NOT WANT.

• Bajan Patriot November 25, 2017 at 11:57 am

We have a bunch of pussy for a government that aloud Any one to come in barbados and tell us what to do. I say kick her ass out of barbados with all the fags in tour. To hell with all you nasty fags.
      Leave and don’t come back. Not even to get bury.

• Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 1:52 pm

@bajan patriot- well said. And a bunch of doggies coming next. Stupid so. Cause John brown country doing it, Barbados should do it too.

• Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 1:59 pm

To fit in. This is why the said school children ingrunt so – to fit in.

5. Sheron Inniss November 25, 2017 at 6:34 am

BS. Show me the statistics and I want proof.

My mother is over 70 and believes it is wrong but her clothing was made by a known homosexual in her community. S/he also chose the accessories, etc. My mom looked terrific in his/her clothes.

As I have said before I do not discriminate against anyone. If I do not like you I just stay clear; I don’t care who or what you do, believe in or else.

In Bim a lot of them have been out of the closet so long; I don’t buy. I maintain they have issues.

This topic is now closed for me.

6. Valerie Knight
    Valerie Knight November 25, 2017 at 6:37 am

LGBT people have always been in Barbados and no one has ever bothered them, any time I’ve heard of them being attacked it has been by people of their own sexual orientation. They need to stop spewing lies about the island, just yo gain residence in U.K., Canada and elsewhere. There is far more important things for the island to focus on than them. Why don’t they all leave never to return. Go to Jamaica!

7. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith November 25, 2017 at 6:43 am

What is this person talking about, these people cause more disturbances and are more violent towards persons than people are to them.
    What they need to do is to bring their statistics to prove what they are advocating, and stop using scare tactics to get into Canada and other countries.

8. Kami Dan
    Kami Dan November 25, 2017 at 6:52 am

Lol why Barbados today saying she?

9. tyrone downes November 25, 2017 at 7:00 am

All you could say what you like but you cannot stop us now. We are finally being taken seriously. My piers and I are going to have our say in the general elections. We know which political party we will not be supporting for sure. Enough said. Or future is looking bright LGBT friends, real bright.

10. Keen Observer November 25, 2017 at 7:03 am

Canadian government needs to mind it’s business. I never heard the Canadian government use it’s voice to ask Britain to pay decedents of slaves reparations for slavery. Discrimination was against colour first before sexual orientation.

• Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 9:05 am

@ KO – Mind you the said gay people now also got more rights and respect than the said black people. Even protection from the news people to what is seen or categorized as hate speech.

• Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 9:06 am

@ KO – Mind you the said people now also got more rights and respect than the said black people.

11. Taurus Bull
    Taurus Bull November 25, 2017 at 7:31 am

Valerie Knight you are absolutely correct in everything you said.

12. Trident Black
    Trident Black November 25, 2017 at 7:39 am

… “while providing NO STATISTICS to back up the claim”.

13. Rubertha Blackman
    Rubertha Blackman November 25, 2017 at 7:41 am

LGBTI are people with the same rights and privileges like all other people. Yes their is discrimination and the attitudes are horrible towards them. Remember when the Canadian Embassy flew the raindow colored flag over their property how the hypocrites came out big time. The law covers rights of all people but what about protecting certain groups. It was done for the disable community, it should be done for the LGBTI community to there is a lot of open hostility and prejudice towards them. Let people live their lives how they choose just like you do.

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith November 25, 2017 at 8:07 am

People are not saying you can’t live your life, you might have some decrimination, but I can tell you most Bajans don’t pay persons who have decided to live this life no attention, also to say Bajans are violent towards the is misleading, because these people are they own worst enemies, they fight they cuss, they are the worst drama queens I have ever come across, so to say Bajans are abusive towards them is a misstatement.
      What the person should be speaking out about is the amount of domestic violence that happens among these people, more than regular persons, and I know for a fact because I have a cousin who is in one of these relationships and let me tell you, these two always fighting and cussing and beating up each other, it is amazing.
      Talk about the domestic violence towards each other, talk about the behavior of these drama queens, don’t go around making people feel that Bajans are your enemies when you are your own worst enemies.

• Rubertha Blackman
      Rubertha Blackman November 25, 2017 at 9:31 am

Michelle Griffith Hold up I never said Bajans were violent towards anybody. What do you mean by these people? BTW we all have a tendency to be our own worst enemy. Yes I agree we need to talk about domestic violence period but the way you are talking about “these people” says a lot about how you see them. All I see is people with short comings like anybody else.

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith November 25, 2017 at 9:45 am

Well what you need to do is deal with your issues within before you blame persons who don’t even care about how you live your lifestyle first.
      For my one part that’s your life everyone live their life to suit them, I for one don’t have a problem as long as you don’t bring it around me or mine, but you need to bring your proof that most Bajans are decrimitary towards you, show me the proof of violence.

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith November 25, 2017 at 10:08 am

Girl I said what I had to say and I am done, and it is always amazing how people bring up the black and white issue in everything.
      I am not interested in who pick up who in big rides, it have nothing to do with me, you need to deal with the issues at hand and stop side stepping.

• Rubertha Blackman
      Rubertha Blackman November 25, 2017 at 10:16 am

LOL and what is the side stepping that people stirring a pot and all ah we jumping in and talking including you and I. You talking point is violence which I never mention. Yes the big rides are important because they are power and privilege people who cause the talk. I saw posters on polls near G’ment House on why BLP and Mia should not be elected as they would legalize same sex marriage. Now don’t you think based on those signs and other talking points by other politicians over the pass few months is the reason why the LGBTI speaking out. People in power are the ones who have made it a talking issue to stir up emotions and it is working.

• Bajan Patriot November 25, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Hell No! there should be no special treatment for that crowd. Let the leave on a one way ticket.

14. Marilyn C Fields
    Marilyn C Fields November 25, 2017 at 7:53 am

Which bajan..STOP TELLING LIES on bajans…how many bajan cares what my rainbow family does..we live ..breathe eat and sleep with some one who is gay..it’s only a few narrow minded people who can’t get pass this..and who use it to attack or cause grief…

15. Susan Maynard
    Susan Maynard November 25, 2017 at 8:05 am

what are u talking about woman , u need to get your facts right .i can say anything to live in canada y u do not talk about what is wrong and what is right.

16. Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 8:37 am

God help us all.

• Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 8:40 am

And they always using black people for this sort of majority black population infiltration. Two weeks ago it was a black ma.

17. Hyacinth Mayers
    Hyacinth Mayers November 25, 2017 at 8:44 am

Whole heap of bull. Stop tell lies.

18. Bryan Phillips
    Bryan Phillips November 25, 2017 at 8:57 am

The Lord has been the people guide for pass three hundred years so that saying has no truth

19. Alex Alleyne November 25, 2017 at 9:09 am

“NO STATISTICS” given. You cannot be making such a “serious” statement to the world without any data to prove your point. Here in BIM and reading the “daily papers” I don’t ever see a Court case where a LBGTI is DISCRIMINATED against in any form. And we all know that NEWS is even a man teefing a tin of sardines.
    No problem with LBGTI , but don’t use we “straight people” saying we spreading VIOLENCE against you all.
    IT’S NOT RIGHT.

• Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 9:25 am

@Alex – Another one of them black idiots to use as usual. She should get charge for lie-bill too.

• Bajan Patriot November 25, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Them playing the con card to get into Canada.its been happening all over the Caribbean.

20. tyrone downes November 25, 2017 at 9:14 am

I can tell you which party I will not vote for in the up and coming general elections i do not like they position on same sex. I find them to be very backward in their thinking, so me an my LGBT friends are voting for BLP all the way.Our lives would be easier under them.

21. Bonita Weekes
    Bonita Weekes November 25, 2017 at 9:31 am

Evidence can be manufactured, who bothers them. They only become the brunt of jokes when they make fools of themselves in public. As long as they don’t approach me or bother me I don’t bother about them. They go to school get jobs, some of them are in pulpits, still they are not satisfied, seems like they have a mandate to change heterosexuals. The media is giving them to much attention, please stop it.

• Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 10:00 am

yep. I said something similar to you and was put on lock down – well said girl. Too much attention.
      “seems like they have a mandate to change heterosexuals” – Oh yes, they will not stop. We need to see the full picture.

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith November 25, 2017 at 10:17 am

Bonita the same way they have evidence to take to Canada, let them bring it to the public of Barbados, as I said that are they own worst enemies, nobody bothers them, I see them on a daily basis living their lives like anyone else,so they need to bring the proof.

22. Concerned Citizen November 25, 2017 at 9:41 am

SMH, let them all go to the countries they think fully accepts them, I really do hope they find one… I wish they would also take the drug dealers, career criminals, and a few politicians along as well on their way out…

I believe we can find just enough quality Citizens remaining to keep this rock afloat, it may be tough but somehow I think we will survive without these upstanding individuals and their talents.

Oh, spare me, with the threat of mass exodus, my prodigal sons, and daughters. May you find peace, love and Joy within. Beloved Canada Awaits.

23. Miguel Griffith
    Miguel Griffith November 25, 2017 at 9:48 am

Resources? Them leaving Barbados but still claiming citizenship, renounce it too.

The reason many homosexual go Canada is to find a ‘man’ cause them don’t have much bout here for them. Them know them can do all the dirty them want in that North American cesspool.
    Then got a goat for a High Commissioner about here talking foolish.

24. milli watt November 25, 2017 at 10:14 am

WDR…….STUPSE (SQUARED) I ain’t sharing what little space I got wid DAT and as for Canada (who by the way is saying sorry for raping, pillaging, alienating, stealing from the true indigenous people of the continent) should keep the door open for the pimps, prostitutes and parasites this place got bout here. Trudeau should invite ALL DEM by he to LIVE PERMANENT

25. Elridge Dixon
    Elridge Dixon November 25, 2017 at 10:22 am

Barbados has always been a tolerant society. It is sad that these persons continue to sully the good name of our country to achieve their goals.

• Joan Crawford
      Joan Crawford November 25, 2017 at 11:21 am

Where else in the world does gay people never ever get cussed and how often does what you described happen and when last was one assaulted

• Stévia Arthur
      Stévia Arthur November 25, 2017 at 11:52 am

I’d like to know your definition of tolerant. The reason why there is little statistical data to present is because persons within the community are too afraid to come forward for fear of being subjected to the verbal and psychological abuse they suffer when they are outed as a result of sharing their experiences. That fear isn’t just dreamt up, it is because they know, either through personal experience or having seen it happen to a friend, the level of intolerance and subsequent violence that is possible. A lot of people don’t realize that violence is not only physical, it is emotional and psychological as well. An LGBT person may not be stoned to death here, but the resulting joblessness, harassment, losing family and friends and even homelessness are more damaging than physical assault.

• Ronelle King
      Ronelle King November 25, 2017 at 11:59 am

^ I never said they don’t face abuse elsewhere. However, governments elsewhere have put measures and mechanisms in place to discourage hate speech and crimes from being perpetrated against the LGBTI community.

Some going so far as to decriminalize homosexuality and allow same sex marriage to be recognized under the law.

What is interesting is that the community here isn’t even asking for gay marriage, they’re asking for civil rights. They’re asking that their human rights to education, healthcare, etc be recognized and not be overlooked due to discriminatory practices that prevent these things from being accessible. They’re asking to be treated with respect because they are human beings first and not solely defined by their sexual orientation.

How can that be seen as unreasonable when we as black people asked for the same damn things not that long ago?

How often? Every day though… Didn’t we just have a viral video of a gay man verbally retaliating against someone wishing death by fire on him?

How many hate crimes are reported? Few.

• Elridge Dixon
      Elridge Dixon November 25, 2017 at 1:19 pm

The LGBTI agenda for Barbados is clear – rehash and highlight old and isolated incidents, provide no statistics to support their arguments, claim discrimination in key areas ( as if it is unique to them ) and attack all individuals and organizations that do not agree with their viewpoints. Such actions can erode the sympathy, understanding and tolerance that exists for LGBTI.

26. Imari Gal
    Imari Gal November 25, 2017 at 10:25 am

Lisa Gill Keisha Scantlebury

27. Head shots November 25, 2017 at 10:25 am

Stop trying to force your dirty lifestyle on people, I don’t have to accept you that’s my right and furthermore you don’t have been up in everyone face with your business. .look all of wanna hurry up and leave Bim like RH

• Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 10:58 am

@Head shots – people will avoid or ignorantly not look at the wider picture as usual or where this dark road is leading too. Wanting to be all nicey, nicey, avoiding corns etc. This is about legislation to change a NATURAL order of society for marriage, removing sex organs, automatic population reduction, change in public places i.e bathrooms. Even the wearing of clothing – “men” in dresses (check out the cat walks) weave and panties to become natural to society. We keep talking about self avoidance only, but what about your vulnerable grandchildren or great-grands – Oh I know, you only selfish and care about self. And no one can stop any of it. It will come – keep watching.

• Bajan Patriot November 25, 2017 at 12:19 pm

@ Jennifer. That why bajans should never ELECT Mia. That’s what will happen if she is P.M of Barbados.

Election have consequences!

28. Mhizz Kelly P Forde
    Mhizz Kelly P Forde November 25, 2017 at 10:33 am

Could really stop lying on Barbados …. Barbadians are very tolerable of that lifestyle . #PETTYMUCH

29. Ronelle King
    Ronelle King November 25, 2017 at 10:41 am

Its interesting how someone of a marginalized community is expected to bring you each documented experience of abuse for you to believe that they are being discriminated against or abused by society when our go to is quoting Leviticus in response to whenever they speak out.

Fyi… Hate speech is a form of abuse.

Honestly, I’m not a member of the LGBTI community but as a woman who has experienced violence, I’ve felt compelled to leave this region to seek a better life elsewhere.

We do not live single issue lives so imagine how a black woman of the LGBTI community must feel knowing that she is marginalized thrice.

She not only experiences the violence levelled at the LGBTI community but also the misogynoir as a result of her black womanhood.

Our island is far too small for anyone to be expected to carry that large of a burden.

I love my country… all 166 square miles of it but no one should have to endure being treated like a second class citizen in their own damn country.

Especially when society continues to stick their heads in the sand by insisting the LGBTI community is exaggerating and the church continues to create an environment encourages hostility towards them.

Given the choice, I’d also seek refuge in a country that doesn’t have a law which threatens life imprisonment but instead sees what I can contribute to sustainable development as opposed to only my sexual orientation.

30. Kaiser Sose
    Kaiser Sose November 25, 2017 at 10:49 am

One thing you can’t do is out Money over peoples modality, decadence is a recipe for social kaos I:e ROME. Society breaks down from with in not what outsiders wish or want.

31. jrsmith November 25, 2017 at 10:52 am

@, Jennifer, hail, hail , your (9.06) massive point , must further add I am months away from 80 , would recall my young days in Barbados , gay people made the best wedding dresses……….
    This is nothing new to Barbados , but when you see the world with open minds , gay people hold the balance of power in every part of our economies , politics , finance and the media………….
    ……………………………Black people just living in la, la land to think they can change the world when it comes to people being gay , you accept it or lump it , no body really cares what black people think ..black people must consider who they do business with daily……..
    In the UK you can say anything about black people , you find an excuse you get away with it most of the time , but then you dare say anything about gays, Jews or Muslims… This is the new world…………….As I say like it or lump it……………………..

32. Tonya Fleming
    Tonya Fleming November 25, 2017 at 10:53 am

#TRUTH
    Bajans are EXTREMELY judgemental ppl.

33. Kenisha Connell
    Kenisha Connell November 25, 2017 at 10:58 am

Shamara Murray

34. jrsmith November 25, 2017 at 11:00 am

To the today team, people swear say anything they want to worst than I do they get away with it……. what the hell you all are driving at……………………. I live in the UK I send e/mail to my local MP , the government leader of the opposing parties and get answers back, we are suppose to be a democracy , but stuff you………………..

• Belfast November 25, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Everybody has rights in Barbados except the overburdened taxpayer.

35. lester November 25, 2017 at 11:06 am

BULLING IS WRONG, WICKING IS WRONG , ATTEMPTING TO USE BULLYING TACTICS IS WRONG , IF I WAS THE PM THE CANADIAN HC WILL BE ON AIR CANADA ALL NOW, ALONG WITH THAT GROUP OF OTHERS

• Bajan Patriot November 25, 2017 at 12:28 pm

Totally Agree!

• Belfast November 25, 2017 at 1:30 pm

An old man once said, let them do whatever they want to do, but the day they try to bull(y) me, that’s a different story

36. jrsmith November 25, 2017 at 11:13 am

My black people must understand they have no clout , doesn’t matter what they think or do, the gay world is here to stay they shake hands and do business with that gay world , its like it or lump it………………………..

37. Kayden Jada
    Kayden Jada November 25, 2017 at 11:16 am

Actually its you bahavior, lesbians and gays lives around me and we all get alone because we view each other as a human, not a label.

38. Junior Nicholas
    Junior Nicholas November 25, 2017 at 11:19 am

From how I hear people talking about Barbados these groups seem to be using false hood to justify there desires. A form of evil

39. Joan Crawford
    Joan Crawford November 25, 2017 at 11:20 am

Liar

40. Robin John
    Robin John November 25, 2017 at 11:47 am

Barbados is no less or more tolerant than any other society or tourist destination. This is an incendiary comment and not rooted in any basis or fact.

• Richard Johnston November 25, 2017 at 1:00 pm

The importance is that regardless how tolerant and understanding Bajans are the government has taken no initiatives to protect this group’s civil rights. Many other countries have.

• Hewers of wood November 25, 2017 at 6:19 pm

So. This sheep thing got to stop.

41. tyrone downes November 25, 2017 at 12:03 pm

This is why we LGBT persons will not be voting for the Democratic Labour Party, they are too hostile towards us. The DLP does nothing to encourage members of my community to live the kind of livestyle we desire in a free country.This angers me, but I can wait a few months for I am confident things will change around here.I am tired hearing about this christian nation and all that crap, we will defeat your efforts to curtail us. Harts off to Didi co-hosting Outloud on CBC TV8 last season and so again for another round. She is a very good ambassador for LGBT.

42. Lora-Ann C. Franklin-Arthur
    Lora-Ann C. Franklin-Arthur November 25, 2017 at 12:14 pm

These comments alone are something else!

43. Adrian Mapp
    Adrian Mapp November 25, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Hyacinth Jackman-Turpin Valarie Rock change Wunna attitude,oh BOY, LoL

44. Mark My Word November 25, 2017 at 12:55 pm

With a BLP government in place all thee Sodomites will be well looked after

• Richard Johnston November 25, 2017 at 1:02 pm

What’s it to you?

• Mark My Word November 25, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Richie have no fear you can come out now

• Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 1:40 pm

MMW -oh yes. And all who supporting them just like them.

45. Arri Mayers November 25, 2017 at 1:23 pm

One sh***Y problem at a time. Let fix the south coast sewerage project first.

46. Overwatch Z November 25, 2017 at 1:36 pm

I think the government should give all those people who want to practice that kind of thing a one way ticket too were they belong, USA and Canada.

47. Marvin Harding
    Marvin Harding November 25, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Yes Bonita the media putting them n the spoflight too much

48. Sherlene Phillips
    Sherlene Phillips November 25, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Bajans are quite tolerant.A few bad apples yes…but just the same as Canada or UK etc..no worse. People go to Dubai for business and tourism and they have very strict laws…We dont have to compromise our beliefs and laws what we need to do is stamp out violence and corruption and create and environment where people want to make money…LGBT movement is not a business movement, nor is it about equality…it aim is to dominate , sexualise children and convert people to their way of thinking…if u dont believe me check out UK and Canada…closing down Faith School, heterosexual people losing jobs, teachings about homosexuality and transgender is good to small children and if parents try to opt out of the teaching…they take the children away….Even using male or female terms is now forbidden in some places….Please educate yourselves about this movement and the consequences of their agenda on your freedoms and rights

49. Shelly Ross
    Shelly Ross November 25, 2017 at 3:02 pm

I wish attention was paid to the fact that we are losing too many youths as a result of corporal punishment, domestic violence and the failing of schools.

50. Reginald Crichlow November 25, 2017 at 4:43 pm

‘losing too many youths as a result of corporal punishment, domestic violence and the failing of schools” ? Seriously?

We are losing them because we are removing the boundaries that our tried and tested mores and values constructed for our own benefit.

Also because laws are “antediluvian’ or ‘old’ do not make them wrong. Does it?

And, please leave the word “Pride” in our nations’s motto where it belongs.

51. Cara November 25, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Cherrol Clarke

52. josh November 25, 2017 at 5:14 pm

The volume and nature of these comments alone prove the point being made by this article. The LGBT community in Barbados are discriminated against.

• Hewers of wood November 25, 2017 at 5:47 pm

No it does not. It shows that people have a voice and will not be held ransom by lies. None of these people legislate laws and have RIGHT to voice their opinions regardless of offending which is now seen as hate speech.

• Hewers of wood November 25, 2017 at 6:02 pm

How odd that his article starts off speaking about people having attitudes PREDATING the FLOOD. Could it be ATTITUDES PREDATING THE FIRE to come as promised.

• Mark My Word November 25, 2017 at 6:17 pm

Josh fire and brimstone rain down from Heaven on the Sodomites
      Genesis 19:24King James Version (KJV)

24 Then the Lord rained upon Sodom and upon Gomorrah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven;
      Fire pon all de Sodomites

• Bajan Patriot November 25, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Its people like you that have sold your sole to the devil. Some bajans are evil and nasty. You all have never stand up for Barbadians family values pass down by or parents and grandparents. The U.N and the new world order are hell bend on redefining what a family and traditional married should look like

Most families is barbados are traditional family with a Mon and a Dad in the home’s. You people took the devil money to Carrie out his work in barbados. We are here to say No to that sinful lifestyle.

• Bajan Patriot November 25, 2017 at 9:21 pm

I am replying to Josh

• Jennifer November 25, 2017 at 10:32 pm

This is why I say most people impression is that the devil is under the ground with horns. But they can’t see that he right on top this Earth, reaping havoc.

53. Leroy Jenkins November 25, 2017 at 6:03 pm

Come on guys, are we seriously going to say that intolerance is only shown through violence. Intolerance, is not only shown through violent or physical means.

Congratulations Barbados for being decent human beings for not stoning individuals.

Also why are we using the bible to try to label this as morally right or wrong, come on guys, come on.

I guess we should continue to bash the evil evil gays and support the more pressing issues in our societies, like the “men” and “fathers” who abandon their families.

Hey though priorities I must be a goat.

54. Ras November 25, 2017 at 6:34 pm

Leviticus 18:22King James Version (KJV)

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Now we finally found out God is not a bajan, the Sodomites and all from Gomorrah along with the UNGODLY flying the Rainbow flag and coming to the front as they expect a Bulling Lying Party back in power

• Hewers of wood November 25, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Should be WLP.

55. Mark My Word November 25, 2017 at 8:47 pm

Homosexuality is a mental illness

• Esdra Allynne November 26, 2017 at 11:36 am

It’s actually a perversion.

56. Shaka sadu November 26, 2017 at 1:29 am

Wow! Everyone knows what’s right and what’s wrong. Isn’t there a quote somewhere that says ” say nothing about no one”. Chris should now add an anger tax, he’d be rich!

57. real vexx November 26, 2017 at 3:11 am

I hope no rainbow flag is flown alongside our Barbados flag ! Let’s Get Barbados Tough Instead..,….. Straight nah lean.

58. Ch November 26, 2017 at 5:45 am

Let’s all be honest.
    There are persons all over the world- including some Barbadians- who discriminate against LGBT persons.
    But in our culture- unfortunately-LGBT persons are subject to the same ignorant, insensitive comments as persons whose weight, colour, clothes, hair, education….etc become a target for mean people.
    Of course it is wrong and we need to root that bullying out of our culture. And too many Bajans are hypocrites about their own sexual behavior so they can have a seat.
    Otherwise, most Bajans tend to be private people who will live and let live in peace.
    So the claims of violence and persecution- as a targeted group- are lies used to exploit refugee status in other countries.
    And it is unfair to persons who have valid claim to that status.
    If a foreign society allows greater scope for self- expression and personal growth, go ahead and do you. But be honest and do it the right way.

59. The truth November 26, 2017 at 7:31 am

Why is Canada getting involved in Bajan issues?

60. Derek Gale November 26, 2017 at 10:56 am

Perhaps some of these homophobes on here should experience the life of being a LGBT member in Barbados for a few months and the read the laws that currently discriminate the LGBT community with cruelty and heartless comments on here by Barbadian Christians and the politicians in the DLP Party who are in charge of government. Then the homophobes will feel the pain and heartache of what it’s like being gay in an oppressive and an anti-LGBT country like Barbados.

61. Esdra Allynne November 26, 2017 at 11:34 am

Lets see what the Creator has to say about this, Lets hope Barbados Today does not sensor God’s Word because it is uncomfortable to their ear.

Leviticus 20:13. If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,