Gag order

Arthur suggests current and former St James South reps should be silenced

Former Prime Minister Owen Arthur said today there was only one gift he would love to purchase outspoken Government minister Donville Inniss for Christmas, and that is a political ‘gag’.

At the same time the Member of Parliament for St Peter has taken umbrage at what he said was nothing short of “a crude onslaught” delivered by his former Cabinet minister Elizabeth Liz Thompson against his wife and daughters.

“It really was crude and there really has been no reaction of decency from the Barbados Labour Party (BLP) from people who ought to be telling Liz Thompson that that is not the way,” Arthur told Barbados TODAY, in response to statements made by Thompson in an address to the party’s 79th annual conference last month, which he said were simply unforgiveable.

In fact, in light of that speech, which he said should have been roundly condemned by the BLP’s hierarchy, Arthur said “it will be very difficult for me to ever again support the Barbados Labour Party”.

However, he also made it clear that this was not an indication that he was now “a Dem”, following Inniss’ declaration at the ruling Democratic Labour Party’s (DLP) political meeting in St Peter on Sunday night that the former BLP leader and current independent Member of Parliament for the northern constituency, has had a recent change of heart and had switched his allegiance to the ruling DLP, turning his back on the BLP’s Colin Jordan, who he previously described as his political protégé.

Addressing party supporters gathered at The Alexandra School in the heart of Arthur’s constituency, which the former BLP leader has been representing for the past three decades, Inniss went further to suggest that Arthur was rooting for the DLP candidate Dave Cumberbatch.

“Let me tell you something Dave, you are being fully endorsed by Owen Seymour Arthur,” Inniss assured Cumberbatch after he had delivered his maiden speech as the ruling party’s St Peter candidate.

And while referring to Jordan disparagingly as ‘Colin Arthur’, the Member of Parliament for St James South said: “Owen Arthur [and] Colin Arthur [were] all good Dems today.”

Inniss also assured that there was no repairing the damage done to the relationship between Arthur and the Mia Mottley-led BLP following Arthur’s resignation from the Opposition party back in 2014.

“It has been a hard and long journey for him to have walked away from a political party that he so ably led for such a long time, because he realized the riff-raff and scallywags and hooligans that occupy the halls of the Barbados Labour Party, and have nothing to do with them. And that is why he cannot, and will not, support Colin Arthur, Colin Jordan,” Inniss said, feigning an error.

However, when contacted this afternoon, Arthur was simply taken aback by Inniss’ comments, suggesting it was high time for him to be muzzled.

“In 34 years in public life I have never had any difficulty speaking in my own name, on my own behalf, and I can’t imagine how at the end of my political career, I could now want somebody to be speaking for me and on my behalf,” he told Barbados TODAY, making it clear he did not need Inniss to deliver any message on his behalf.

Arthur suggested that “perhaps it is a St James South thing . . . because . . . he seems to be as erratic as the former Member of Parliament for St James South Elizabeth Thompson.

“They are just spouting foolishness all over the place. I have sent Donville Inniss with no message and I’m a little disappointed that a man who would want to get my support and my vote in the next election could be playing so fast and loose with things concerning me,” said Arthur, who resides in Inniss’ constituency.

“Surely, if he intends to court me that would be the wrong way to do it,” he said, stressing he had “nothing to do with erratic people”.

Calling it “froth and folly”, he said, “It is obviously a St James South thing to just shout off at the mouth and just talk a lot of foolishness. Liz exemplified it and now Donville appears to have caught the same [political virus],” he told Barbados TODAY, adding that “for me to have to respond to folly like this when there are so many other important things that ought to be centre, it just disgusts me”.

While stressing that “Donville has to act way better than this”, and that it was not ordinary for constituents to give members of parliament gifts, Arthur said: “I think that for Christmas I might have to consider finding a suitable present for Donville, and it would be a gag . . .  and I think it will make him a better politician.

“I am an independent person and I am not involved in any political party,” the St Peter representative maintained.

The former prime minister, who was recently sidelined with a foot injury, also reported that it was his first day back at the office.

“I’m anxious to get back to my work. I don’t want to be drawn into the froth and folly,” he told Barbados TODAY.

At a time when Barbados was “going down rapidly with some very serious economic issues to confront”, he complained that the island’s politics had descended to the level of “people living in houses that they do not have and who is qualified in what . . . and you would think that the country doesn’t have a serious crisis that is facing it and . . . I don’t want to be drawn into that foolishness at my age.”

25 Responses to Gag order

1. luther thorne November 20, 2017 at 10:55 pm

All the talk Owen but you have not denied what Prime Minister in waiting Honourable Donville Inniss said.

2. Saga Boy November 20, 2017 at 11:12 pm

This is a man who people like Luther thorne used to praise and worship. Now after all he has done you have thrown him under the bus. Total disrespect.

3. Wayne T Griffith
    Wayne T Griffith November 20, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Luckily for you Mr Arthur there is an alternative choice in your home constituency of SJS with Christal P. Austin of the UPP.

• Kim Smith
      Kim Smith November 21, 2017 at 8:57 am

Wait All along I thought he had in hand in the UPP. #not being fool

• Wayne T Griffith
      Wayne T Griffith November 21, 2017 at 9:21 am

He does? That could only be a good thing

4. Big man November 21, 2017 at 1:13 am

Is Lizzy Thompson looking to represent at the UN or to get another Golden Shower built.
    She is still as Cantankerous as ever

5. hcalndre November 21, 2017 at 3:28 am

Mr. Arthur you too should be gagged, after 30 years you walked away from your party. You know that Barbados politics in the last 10 years have reached the bottom of the pit but you can get out, resign, call it a day and just listen to the garbage.

6. archy perch November 21, 2017 at 3:39 am

Personally I thought her speech was ladened with common class behavior and crocodile tears as she spoke about the young man and the small change. Liz could not even be considered for a Nifca award with her just over an hour un-professional delivery as a qualified lawyer. So I agree with the man who was Mr. BLP and the once dubbed BEST Prime Minister this country has ever had, Owen Seymour Arthur.But Owen….why yah borrow so much money though in de good times than we got to payback through we noses for? And Owen, yah owe we an explaination wah yah mean when yah say in Parliament “I accept responsibilty for everything”. And Owen, please name ALL the ones in your government – under your watch- who are now big millionaires including Hallam Nichols. And Owen, what was the deal with Ma ass cold and the hardest wood? What was that all about???

7. Just Gypsying November 21, 2017 at 4:15 am

Oh please gag yourself with haste too Owen. You were on a personal tirade hellbent on ruining Mia Mottley just the other day. Suddenly now you can dispense medicine for people. Look retire and take several seats in yuh rocking chair. You’re another political nuisance too, just like the Dems the upps the caps the dis and the thats. Nothing to offer Bajans but long talk. I voting for the Bees just because you gone, good riddance.

8. Susan Maynard
    Susan Maynard November 21, 2017 at 4:36 am

All of them want praying for

9. milli watt November 21, 2017 at 10:06 am

this goin be nuff sport……..got my pop corn, watered down sweet drink thanks too S%!. hard stool cause I can’t do better and outside in case I got to run and laugh

10. Kevin November 21, 2017 at 10:34 am

Seems that its one party that starting the gutter campaign early. How could Liz say something like that on the BLP platform….

11. A Boyce November 21, 2017 at 12:21 pm

It’s so unfortunate that these politicians are stooping so low at these gatherings. When they should be addressing the current economic situations and trying to avoid further down grades which cannot be ignored as suggested; explaining a recovery plan and governance they are focusing on “riff-raff, scallywags, etc. This is so gross.

12. A Boyce November 21, 2017 at 12:32 pm

*crass

13. petra November 21, 2017 at 1:43 pm

can’t he remember the indentured servant statement he made years ago. it is want you call karma owen

14. Helicopter(8P) November 21, 2017 at 2:30 pm

Well Me ladds and lasses this isn’t as elaborate and mind boggling as what’s going on up north. The white liberal professional women of America’s U.S.A. have the country at ransome as of today. It was said that men are from Mars and women are from Venice. It looks as if this could be true because there is a civil war going on between the two here in the U.S.A. Charlie Rose whose ansestors were long ago here, is the latest professional male American to bite the dust. The women’s lib was a great movement but now we have a culture of who is the bully tactics being performed.Endowments are now at the brink of no return. Education funding by multirich men is now out the window. The hiring of young aprentices is brain tacking to consider and bonuses in the office culture will be a pass era. So Mr Arthur take it from me don’t fee so bad, relax your brain and enjoy some o’ God’s sunshine for a few more good ones. You know Don like to mek sugar cakes and peanut brittle pay him no mind!

15. Sisleen Greene November 21, 2017 at 3:21 pm

Owen; you vex with Liz, wuh she ain’t tell no lie pun you. You talk bout Mia and ain’t want nuh body to touch you. Who the hell you tink you is? Yuh hear when yuh house got glass don’t pelt rocks, cause duh dose bounce back at yuh.

16. Belfast November 21, 2017 at 5:23 pm

While ya at OSA, get a dog muzzle for Kellman.

17. Francis November 21, 2017 at 5:33 pm

Gutter politics!!!
    Liz Thompson shows her lack of class.
    Donville Inniss was always a clown.
    These people leading us? God help us!!

18. Anfaani Henry
    Anfaani Henry November 21, 2017 at 7:55 pm

Come back Owen

19. Carson C Cadogan November 22, 2017 at 3:59 am

Seems as though this is his way of clearing the road to announce his entry into UPP politics.

We will see what we will see!!!!

20. David Hall November 23, 2017 at 7:40 am

Having been present and attentive to numerous campaign and party speeches by Owen Arthur where his sharp tongue and amazing wit, would cut and slice and humble opponents. I therefore amused that he is castigating Liz Thompson for restating what is true and public knowledge regarding his behaviour in public life. Liz spoke in the context where persons including Mr Arthur are continually castigating current BLP party leader Mia Mottley. They persist in using innuendo to proclaim that she is morally unfit to lead. Liz clearly pointed out that all of us are sinners seeking God’s grace and that Mr Arthur”s lack of perfection was not help against him leading our country. Thus Liz is honest and understanding of human frailties. Furthermore, as far as i’m aware none of the current candidates for election are proposing to be saints as the reason for their election. Therefore if they are not asking us to vote them based on moral perfection, Barbadians need to vote based on competence and in that reality Mia Mottley is the best choice among all the offerings.