Both BLP and DLP neglected St Peter, candidate suggests

Former Barbados and West Indies Under-19 cricket captain Dave Cumberbatch came out swiping last night as he delivered his maiden speech as the ruling Democratic Labour Party’s (DLP) candidate for St Peter.

Cumberbatch, 53, made his name as a cricketer in the early 1980s. Now he is seeking to deny the Opposition Barbados Labour Party’s (BLP) Colin Jordan a chance of ever representing the northern constituency, currently held by former BLP leader and independent Member of Parliament Owen Arthur.

With Arthur’s political future still uncertain, Cumberbatch told DLP faithful gathered at The Alexandra School last night that both the current and the former administration were guilty of neglecting the rural constituency, particularly  Maynards, his place of birth.

Cumberbatch, an attorney-at-law and former policemen, recalled that in 1999 “when elections were hot in the air” the National Housing Corporation, under a BLP government, had sent letters in the St Peter community offering residents the opportunity to purchase their lands.

“2009 came and nothing was done [by the time the BLP was voted out of office],” he said, while also complaining that the situation still had not been remedied with the DLP in office over past ten years.

“The point I am making is that, up to this day, 2017, after receiving letters in 1999, nothing has been done to sell the people of Maynards the land on which they live,” Cumberbatch said, adding that “I had a quiet whisper with Minister [Denis] Kellman about this already . . . [and] if he remains the minister of housing in the next administration . . . I will be turning up my voice . . . even if it is the prime minister that takes over the Ministry of Housing, I will be turning up my voice, so that those people in Maynards who were asked in 1999 if they wanted to purchase land, . . . [can] be successful in owning a piece of the rock”.

In response, Kellman informed the meeting that though some people had gone ahead and paid the BLP for their lots, currently residents in 28 of the 55 Government units at Maynards were qualified to be granted property conveyances under the 20-year occupancy programme. However, he did not say if or when they would the conveyances.

41 Responses to Both BLP and DLP neglected St Peter, candidate suggests

1. Kaiser Sose
    Kaiser Sose November 20, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Shut up who has been in power for the past 8years your party stuuuppess the DLP.

2. Veronica A. Piggott
    Veronica A. Piggott November 20, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Hi Dave my boy.

3. Desmond Edwards
    Desmond Edwards November 20, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Michael Terry Hope

4. Denise Blackman
    Denise Blackman November 20, 2017 at 11:25 pm

53 yrs..Wow!!

5. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba November 20, 2017 at 11:46 pm

BOY YA START ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE FENCE….

6. Sandra Madea
    Sandra Madea November 20, 2017 at 11:46 pm

Oh shut to hell up do idiot.

• Miche November 21, 2017 at 9:35 pm

What else do you expect from a jack ass,,,he can’t whistle,,so he must bray

7. Neval Greenidge
    Neval Greenidge November 21, 2017 at 1:10 am

Wrong start buddy…sadly the party you are with neglected an entire country.

8. Wahid Oldgirliegirl
    Wahid Oldgirliegirl November 21, 2017 at 1:52 am

Haha hee. When u get in do something fuh St Peter please we want a new salt pond and some new roads lol stupes

9. Saga Boy November 21, 2017 at 2:33 am

Interesting how people like one Neval Greenidge after the DLP was so good to him could now be so anti DLP. Neval you are ungrateful and bitter. Get a life. When you were over and away representing the DLP the Gov was the best thing since slice bread. At that time they were the best. How can you now say they neglected the whole country.

• Concerned Man November 21, 2017 at 11:26 am

What does the DLP being “So Good To” a person really entail…….. and… what pray tell does this individual have to be grateful for….. and… how exactly does a person earn the right to have someone be good to them?????

10. Charles Alleyne
    Charles Alleyne November 21, 2017 at 3:24 am

Dave you come out swinging sir..Cut their tail even if they are your party.Well let’s see if you can take this seat that was part of the BLP for many years.

11. Maureen Burgess
    Maureen Burgess November 21, 2017 at 5:31 am

Dave this under 30 ain’t for you at all, next time do some homework and see who you representing.

12. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd November 21, 2017 at 6:29 am

MOST IMPROVED DEMS WHEN IT COMES TOO STUPIDITY!!!!!

13. Pedro M Griffith
    Pedro M Griffith November 21, 2017 at 6:56 am

Good man in the wrong place

14. Greengiant November 21, 2017 at 7:20 am

@Neval Greenidge; Well you still have voice? I guess the political bell is about to ring, so you have to work for future work. Sadly you don’t know which master to serve since the passing of the one who was instructed to give you the little government pic overseas.

I can guarantee you though, this B L P, and D L P leadership team thinks little of you for your lack of loyalty, so if I were you I would have made sound contacts abroad, and be able to get a foreign pic in the private sector up north.

My memory leads me to recall that you were accused of messing up a whole lot of things here in this country mate. The messy accusations seemed to follow you wherever you went. Thankfully you were not around to be accused during the Clico mess.

Having escaped that mess, and with politics being the mess that it is. I would try hard to avoid being caught up in anything messy. Just a word from the wise Val boy. By the way, who you planning on preaching for in the south? B, D, U, I, or S?

15. Ras Small
    Ras Small November 21, 2017 at 7:23 am

100% agree. dat is trute.

16. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith November 21, 2017 at 7:33 am

He telling the truth, you all need to stop being so bias and call a spade a spade, St Peter was neglected by both parties.

• Blaazer Gee
      Blaazer Gee November 21, 2017 at 6:09 pm

What neglect u talking about…u dont know what neglect is…u want to see neglect go in st.lucy and see neglect and that is a parish that the DLP has had for years whether in office or not in office….a lot was done in st.peter under Owen.

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith November 21, 2017 at 6:21 pm

Blaazer Gee, name two

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith November 21, 2017 at 7:04 pm

Blaazer Gee, to be honest I like Mr Arthur, I like him even more now that he is an Independent, even though I would have never voted for the party he was representing, what got me weary of him was when he started selling off Barbados, but I very well cannot be bias and not question what was done in St Peter under his watch.
      And it is not only St Lucy being neglected check out St Thomas.

17. Beverley Headley
    Beverley Headley November 21, 2017 at 7:52 am

Another one to the slaughter!

18. Kearn Williams
    Kearn Williams November 21, 2017 at 8:17 am

Yuh lie. Wha I thought St John was the ONLY neglected parish bout hey. I hear ppl say that Mr Arthur has St Peter as the pretiest parish on d map. so wunna mean them got roads in them potholes too. St John yuh got company. Good morning to my good friend SB-P from St Peter

• Richard Roach
      Richard Roach November 21, 2017 at 10:04 am

You should see the St Lucy roads… Turbull

19. Sandra Madea
    Sandra Madea November 21, 2017 at 8:59 am
  20. Ezra Hinds
    Ezra Hinds November 21, 2017 at 9:37 am

Please tell me that I will have other options to vote for in St. Peter because this is what you call talking for talking sake. Where is Benn when you need him?

21. Alex Alleyne November 21, 2017 at 9:48 am

Same can be said for St. John.

22. Alex Alleyne November 21, 2017 at 9:56 am

And St. Thomas.

23. Alex Alleyne November 21, 2017 at 9:58 am

Bree made sure Christ Church go the “Lion-share” of everything.

24. Maria Roach
    Maria Roach November 21, 2017 at 10:05 am

Who tell Dave Cumberbatch that the DLP will be returned to power? You cannot win that St. Peter seat either…….Colin Jordan all the way.

25. Bajangal November 21, 2017 at 11:28 am

Whole country was neglected by both parties , that is why we have the same problems today that we had from twenty and thirty years ago. Water , sanitation, roads, health , transport study it !

• Jennifer November 21, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Study it? ???? Da is too much to do. Die hards to their graves

26. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell November 21, 2017 at 1:11 pm

So if both the Dees and the Bees neglected St.Peter then both of them should be ignored now..what say thee Mr.Cumberbatch?

27. Crystalene Alexander
    Crystalene Alexander November 21, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Not under Owen fuh sure.

28. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner November 21, 2017 at 4:28 pm

Dave The Chief Cumberbatch.

29. A Boyce November 21, 2017 at 6:52 pm

I was wondering if that’s the same Dave Cumberbatch.

30. A Boyce November 21, 2017 at 6:55 pm

St.Peter was not neglected under former PM Arthur’s watch.

31. Antheia Springer-Williams
    Antheia Springer-Williams November 21, 2017 at 8:43 pm

Hmmm! Some people want friends, I hope wunna don’t come at my gate to tell me anything because I’m not listening…… Imagine 3 long months without even a trickle or trinkle of water from a pipe after a while year of water rationing. Not even a little sympathy from a politician! A trench like the Grand Canyon running up one side of Mt. Brevitor….. Not me don’t come with nonsense begging for votes at the eve of elections because I’m sharpening my tongue. The same way I did not see or hear from wunna then I don’t want to hear wunna now!