Private phone call lands Jamaican in trouble

Jamaican national Andre Kimar Simpson was slapped with a $20,000 fine when he appeared in court today on four drug-related charges.

The 34-year-old was arrested at the Grantley Adams International Airport last Monday after arriving from Kingston.

Station Sergeant Peter Barrow said Simpson was detained after immigration became suspicious about his passport and contacted police. He was then handed over to customs where 25 taped packages containing vegetable matter were discovered.

He was charged with possession, possession with intent to supply, trafficking and importation of cannabis.

Simpson told Chief Magistrate Christopher Birch today that he had packed his luggage and went through the scanner and security at the airport with no problem. However, on layover in Antigua he said he received a “private phone call” from someone who informed him that “someone is going to meet me at the airport”, but he was adamant that he did not know that drugs were in his luggage.

“Please be lenient on me Sir,” he pleaded with the magistrate.

However his story did not fly with the Chief Magistrate who ordered him to pay $10,000 forthwith for the offence of unlawful possession of cannabis and $10,000 forthwith for the offence of importation of cannabis.

11 Responses to Private phone call lands Jamaican in trouble

1. E Jerome Davis
    E Jerome Davis November 14, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Dem hear dat Barbados want money so duh come to gih we some.

2. Mardene Pemberton
    Mardene Pemberton November 14, 2017 at 11:34 pm

GOOD

3. Richard Braithwaite
    Richard Braithwaite November 15, 2017 at 1:35 am

And this fools smiling ?

4. Thunder November 15, 2017 at 7:18 am

Hard ears you won’t hear,own way you will feel!

5. Alicia Holder
    Alicia Holder November 15, 2017 at 10:35 am

He smiling so pretty, look, he just wanted to experience the Queen’s castle.

6. Ossie Moore November 15, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Bur looka anybody travling wid $10ooo or more would be automaticly in violation so the chief majestrate is actually gettin a double wammy if that person produces the money on demand. It’s automatic jail time muh brudda! This is like Bur Tar Baby and Bur Rabbit smartness!

7. Kearn Williams
    Kearn Williams November 15, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Blame Freundell for these blasted ignorant drugaicians. But wait d fine pay or it aint pay he lock up or not cause I see the word ‘forthwith’. But from reading the article the story like it ain’t finish. Somebody tel me

8. Olutoye Walrond
    Olutoye Walrond November 15, 2017 at 6:20 pm

” however his story did not fly with the Chief Magistrate who ordered him to pay $10,000 forthwith for the offence of unlawful possession of cannabis and $10,000 forthwith for the offence of importation of cannabis.
    Simpson, who was reprimanded and discharged on charges of trafficking and possession with intent to supply cannabis, faces two years in jail if the fines are not paid.”
    So, what was the outcome? Did he pay the fine? I’m lost.

9. Diane Dias
    Diane Dias November 15, 2017 at 6:45 pm

Last year I went to Jamaica on business. I was told by people who travel often , not to even bother locking my suitcase , because suitcases are easy to break into . So I left my suitcase unlocked. Luckily for me , I had no issues. But in the back of my mind was , just suppose someone working at the airport in Jamaica put something in my suitcase to be collected by someone working at the airport here. You would have heard and seen my name in the news saying I got caught bringing back drugs to Barbados. I’m not saying this is what happened in this case , but crap happens……I’m just saying.