Why the criticism of Stuart and Sinckler?

I agree with the Hon. Prime Minister that the Minister of Finance has performed his role with tenacity and courage in the face of very difficult economic conditions and brutal attacks from those who have no regard for his intellectual capacity or social pedigree.

It is clear to me that Mr Sinckler, being a product of Deacons, son of working class parents and a graduate of the lowly rated Garrison Secondary School, will never be accepted as a suitable holder of the prestigious office of Finance Minister. In this class and colour conscious society, only those who have attended brand name schools and have middle class status are considered worthy of such a position.

Prior to Mr. Sinckler’s elevation to keeper of the country’s purse strings, Ministers of Finance have all been products of Harrison College, and in the case of Mr David Thompson, Combermere. Moreover, all except Sir Lloyd Sandiford and Mr Owen Arthur had a middle class background. Mr Arthur was most likely “accepted” because he had his sixth form education at Harrison College and is a brilliant economist, but remember how Sir Lloyd was treated; he was too dark, came from humble origins and did not rub shoulders with the white and brown elites.

I well recall the business maguffies meeting and having their chairman call for the Prime Minister and Minister of Finance’s resignation. Sir Lloyd’s pleasing retort was “Massa Day done” and “I was not elected in any Boardroom”. We seem to be at that point again where someone needs to issue the reminder that in Barbados we elect whom we want to run the country. We are accustomed to the carping criticism by those who feel that they are entitled, through colour or class, to wield power, not given to them by the electorate.

What pains me more, though, is that some whose background is similar to that of the representative of St. Michael North West join in the choir chanting abuse at the Finance Minister, just as they did in the case of Sir Lloyd Sandiford.

I do not have to agree with all of Mr. Sinckler’s prescriptions for an ailing economy to respect his efforts. I am sure that he wants the best for Barbados and is not a malevolent creature from some distant land, trying to wreak havoc on our country.

Nobody is suggesting that the Minister’s policies should not be criticised, but there is a huge difference between policy disagreement and ad hominem attacks, ridicule and innuendo. In my view, Chris Sinckler is one of the bright sparks on our political landscape and no amount of unfair attacks can change that.

It is tiresome having to listen to the mouthings of businessmen, who claim to be the greatest patriots around, feigning concern for the poor and vulnerable, but have no difficulty increasing prices of commodities that do not attract NSRL, or hoarding the foreign monies collected in their establishments.

They, along with some economists whose only claim to fame is that they can glibly spout economic theory learnt at Cave Hill, are among the fiercest critics of the Minister of Finance and Prime Minister Stuart. These two servants of the crown can do nothing right or in the interest of Barbadians.

In the case of the Prime Minister, the school he attended is not a problem, but he is too dark and his socio-economic origins disqualify him from holding such a high office. Many attempt to disguise their contempt for his social background by complaining that he does not communicate; does not hold his ministers accountable and does not lead from the front. When he speaks, he uses too many “big” words or is insulting others.

If he travels overseas for whatever reason, he is wasting tax payers money. He simply cannot win. According to his detractors, the country is a rudderless ship, just waiting for a political messiah to save it from running aground. But notice how much criticism he received over the new official car recently purchased. Clearly, that kind of vehicle is too good for someone like Mr Freundel Stuart.

Now, I know that Barbadians have become accustomed to Prime Ministers intervening in every dog fight, so that the very idea of a leader who actually allows his ministers to run their ministries is strange. Nevertheless, we need to learn to respect Mr Stuart’s style. What I can say without fear of contradiction is that Mr Freundel Jerome Stuart, someone I have known from childhood, is a man of integrity with a sharp intellect and one who is committed to the development of Barbados.

This does not mean that I do not think that his effectiveness as a leader can be enhanced by hosting periodic press conferences, especially since he is more than a match for journalists. To suggest, however, that he is a weak leader is to not understand the gentleman.

No doubt I will be labelled a D.L.P “yard fowl” for voicing these comments, but my back is broad and I can take anything, especially from persons I regard as empty vessels. I know who I am, a proud Barbadian with no party affiliation, but one who has carefully studied the history of Barbados and who has the ability to analyse what is happening in my country.

Instead of attacking me, readers would do well to question their motives for ridiculing Messrs Stuart and Sinckler and take a more objective view of the state of Barbadian politics and the economy. What we want are solutions to our problems, not personal attacks. Mr Arthur has started the ball rolling. Who will follow his lead?

Source: (John Goddard is a retired teacher of English and senior teacher at Harrison College and St George Secondary School)

44 Responses to Why the criticism of Stuart and Sinckler?

1. Chris Alleyne
    Chris Alleyne November 13, 2017 at 8:05 pm

ORH!

2. Lisa Moore
    Lisa Moore November 13, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Great article, I’ve always heard that empty vessels make the most noise.

• Adrian Lovell
      Adrian Lovell November 14, 2017 at 8:19 am

where’s the steeeuuuuuppppssssseeeeeeeee emoji when you need one!!!!!

• Adrian Lovell
      Adrian Lovell November 14, 2017 at 8:22 am

Lisa Moore you’ve just been been promoted to the rank of YARD TURKEY!!!!!!! How can you label such partisan tripe as a great article??? This is yet another silly attempt to distract bajans from the daily plight we ALLL face from the bungling and mismanagement of the MOF!!!! Enter plan X………

• Lisa Moore
      Lisa Moore November 14, 2017 at 8:45 am

I’m hoping that you get a big post when she wins

• Adrian Lovell
      Adrian Lovell November 14, 2017 at 8:52 am
  3. Michael Turton
    Michael Turton November 14, 2017 at 2:18 am

You are right Sir, you are a political yard fowl….

4. Ronald R Thompson
    Ronald R Thompson November 14, 2017 at 2:49 am

Cause the leader can’t lead and the ministers doing as they like and even worse he defend them all. the worse prime minister Barbados ever had

5. Christopher Robinson
    Christopher Robinson November 14, 2017 at 4:33 am

Why ? Might the fact that they are a pair of incompetent cnuts be the answer?

6. Santini More
    Santini More November 14, 2017 at 4:39 am

I do not give a damn where someone went to school or what location they grew up in. I am not even too bothered about a person’s political persuasion. What concerns me is professional competency and results. The present MoF has presided over the decline of the Barbados economy which has included 20 downgrades, which in turn has significantly reduced direct investment inflows to the island and hindered our ability to meet our debt liabilities due to increased interest rates and left our foreign reserves levels at a perilously low level. All of this has occurred whilst the public is hit left, right and centre with additional taxation and reduced services….How the hell can any of this be seen as anything but a monumental failure on behalf of the MoF and the PM who should have sacked Sinckler years ago?

7. Cindy Bunting
    Cindy Bunting November 14, 2017 at 4:47 am

Because Barbados has been brought to it’s knees under their watch. #callelection

8. Sophia Lewis
    Sophia Lewis November 14, 2017 at 5:01 am

Quite ridiculous. Absolutely nothing wrong with going to Harrison College etc. I could say more but I am so livid over your very basic view; I can write no more. How dear you go to the bottom of the bucket to scrape Sir. Pride and good reasoning for Barbados. It is time.

9. Star Wood
    Star Wood November 14, 2017 at 5:46 am

Because these two ruined barbados a sleeping fool & a money hound

10. Seth St John
    Seth St John November 14, 2017 at 6:01 am

I didnt know that goats could write articles..
    I also dont care where someone went to school, what color their skin is, or any of the points that you assumed matter… if you have such a basic view on my dislike for those 2, then you really havnt seen how our country has been pulled down under their watch.

11. Dana Jemmott
    Dana Jemmott November 14, 2017 at 6:04 am

I guess the downgrades don’t count the missing money from BRA don’t count the houses in NHC that rottening don’t count Ammmm what else am I forgetting??? Oh he should’ve kept his blasted mouth shut

• Caroline Boxill
      Caroline Boxill November 14, 2017 at 6:15 am

And income tax Don’t count .N.I.S Don’t count I’m I forgetting anything

12. Rubertha Blackman
    Rubertha Blackman November 14, 2017 at 6:35 am

13. Stanton Peace
    Stanton Peace November 14, 2017 at 6:43 am

Foolish article,if mr sinckler has gone to school at the standpipe and had done an excellent job we would have congratulated him but 20 downgrades even if he went to Harrison College he still would have been heavily criticized He has been a national disaster as Minister of Finance..

• Eddy Murray
      Eddy Murray November 14, 2017 at 7:53 am

It does not matter where you did you early schooling. It matter where you end.

14. Everick November 14, 2017 at 6:46 am

You say that you are a teacher? I shudder to think what kind of students you produced? I hope they are not proud of being in your class

15. Sweetpea Darling
    Sweetpea Darling November 14, 2017 at 6:57 am

A lot of big mouth cars and not even one new Bus wunna wan locking up families first my foot steupse peeps Gm have a great day

16. Peter Thompson November 14, 2017 at 7:05 am

Because he is incompetent!

17. Annette P Carter
    Annette P Carter November 14, 2017 at 7:08 am

This entire editorial is pure claptrap. I am sure for the majority of Barbadians they don’t care where their pol. Reps went to school. I didn’t have a clue where the finance minister was educated. What I do know is that economics is a science with theories and one must study the subject not gain expertise on the job. I believe that humility should be a part of every public representative’s repertoire, something both our Chief Minister and Finance Minister obviously lack. I could go on but enough said

18. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith November 14, 2017 at 7:35 am

Mr Goddard is it because they are doing and awful job, of running the country or is it because of the amount of downgrades Barbados have received under they watch, or should I ask if it is because they are clueless.
    I tried to read the article, I really tired, but to be honest it is a bunch a nonsense, because everything that you mentioned in the article are the reasons they are being criticized.

19. Eddy Murray
    Eddy Murray November 14, 2017 at 7:57 am

For a long time now, have this PM ever lay out a growth path or plan any thing for the way forward for the little rock. I never heard him out line plans for the development.

20. Suezette Boyce-Griffith
    Suezette Boyce-Griffith November 14, 2017 at 8:11 am

let me tell wunna de 2 of dem walk the same path bare big cars they love with wunna money

21. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd November 14, 2017 at 8:21 am

IT TAKES A GOAT TO DEFEND THE OTHER GOATS

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith November 14, 2017 at 9:03 am

Lillian Lloyd, those are sheep though

• Eugen November 14, 2017 at 2:05 pm

…and incidentally. it takes a SHEPHERD to protect sheep, and neither sheep nor goat… Please tell a goat for me. However, the teacher lacks logic but then isn’t he retired? Guess his scholarship is also retired.

• Lisa Moore
      Lisa Moore November 14, 2017 at 9:14 am

Clearly this shows who the real goat is

22. Lilian Lloyd
    Lilian Lloyd November 14, 2017 at 8:23 am

BECAUSE THEY ARE TWIN FAILURES!!!!!

23. Cheryl Cumberbatch
    Cheryl Cumberbatch November 14, 2017 at 8:26 am

Really? Nothing to do with the several downgrades, low foreign reserves and lots of other stuff for which he would have been fired if he was a private sector employee presiding over repeated failure?

24. Jack Ryan
    Jack Ryan November 14, 2017 at 8:26 am

this is the first time in my life i have ever witnessed such …..HONOR AMONG THIEVES

25. Andrew Simpson
    Andrew Simpson November 14, 2017 at 8:30 am

It is our fault that we allow this antiquated system of governance to persist.

26. Sonia Seale
    Sonia Seale November 14, 2017 at 9:03 am

Sarcasm at its best.

27. Michael Goodman November 14, 2017 at 9:53 am

What an utterly preposterous article.

People from the most humble beginnings all around the world have risen to become outstanding leaders and financial and economic wizards and have subsequently gained justifiable respect and admiration from near and far.

If that is not the case in this instance, it has nothing to do with their background, class, or place of education.

28. Beige Jann November 14, 2017 at 11:23 am

REALLY ! SO HOW HE GET THERE ! DEMS HAVE FAILED ! THESE MINISTERS ARE FAILURES ! PERIOD ! GET OUT LET SOME OTHERS TRY !

29. Whitehill November 14, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Let me say, you bajans do give much emphasis on the schools one attends. I’ve observed these things day in and out in recent years upon returning. There is also much Ado about one’s skin tone, noticeably a preference for whites over your own black brothers. This is something the black women are very good at.
    Now, as for sinkler and his schooling, being a student of the Garrison; I so wanted him to make us proud. Christ, both he and michael Lashley are to RH jack asses.
    I’m sorry John, the pm and mof, were given a great opportunity to write their names on history pages…instead they both got into the toilet paper business.

30. Eugen November 14, 2017 at 2:35 pm

31. Celestine Duke November 14, 2017 at 3:02 pm

Oh just shut up and go back to sleep.

32. Celestine Duke November 14, 2017 at 3:04 pm

I mean the two you just called can’t even mention their names.uggh

33. Jus me November 14, 2017 at 6:41 pm

I read yesterday the chief accountant of the IMF had been fired
    Unfairly according to him.A Mr Stiglltz
    He left and took with him.a vast amount of IMF documentation,some of which proves the IMF sets up countries,in collusion with crooked politicians of that country ,for financial rape ,.
    The politicians who assist are paid 10 per cent of the looted funds ,by way of a Swiss Bank account.

34. janette reifer November 14, 2017 at 7:23 pm

What kind of silly article is this. Where somebody went to school got to do with anything ? This kind of talk can’t change peoples mind. You moron!