Chef admits to unknowingly importing cocaine

A St Lucian chef today admitted to importing $100,000 worth of cocaine into Barbados, but said it was done unknowingly.

In fact, 23-year-old Johnelle Leeanne Pierre of Ti-Rocher, Micoud told Chief Magistrate Christopher Birch she did not have a clue what “cocaine looked like” until the day of her arrest at Grantley Adams International Airport.

The mother-of-two explained that “I am in this situation”, having borrowed the suitcase from a cousin.

She said it was dropped off by a man mere hours before she was scheduled to leave for the airport, and since it still was in the casing she simply packed her items and left.

“I honestly did not have any idea it was there,” Pierre stated adding: “I didn’t even know what cocaine looked like. I don’t even drink alcohol.”

After Pierre arrived here on September 25, a dog from the canine unit led border control officers to the drugs, which were hidden in false sides of the suitcase.

The St Lucian chef said she had no hesitation when the immigration officer asked to search her luggage, emphasizing the point that she was unaware that she had been transporting cocaine.

She further explained that at one point law enforcement officials allowed her to turn on her cellular phone and the same cousin contacted her saying she was worried.

She said she informed the relative that her bag had been kept back and “the first thing she ask was to send a picture of the bag.

“I was only off work for two weeks and I have my children and she going to drag me into this,” Pierre lamented.

Pierre’s attorney George Bennett, who appeared in association with Sian Lange, urged the chief magistrate to be as lenient as possible as the young woman had thrown herself at the mercy of the court and was not known in either jurisdiction.

After relaying her story the chief magistrate again remanded her until November 28.

14 Responses to Chef admits to unknowingly importing cocaine

1. Diana Cummins
    Diana Cummins November 1, 2017 at 10:02 pm

I don’t know about this story,when given the suitcase was it not felt a bit weighty, the receiver was going to just show up at where you are staying and demand the suitcase, how would the receiver knows where you are staying, so many questions. Something isnt adding .

2. Wayne T Griffith
    Wayne T Griffith November 1, 2017 at 10:12 pm

Based on this report she seems genuinely unaware that she was transporting drugs. Hopefully further investigations will be performed to determine if she is really the victim.

3. Richard Arjoon
    Richard Arjoon November 1, 2017 at 10:21 pm

??? What’s her income, that she can purchase that quantity.She’s the fish bait,who’s the big fish??

• Richard Arjoon
      Richard Arjoon November 1, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Where is a 23yr old getting that kind of dough from being a Chef very questionable.

• Diana Cummins
      Diana Cummins November 1, 2017 at 10:36 pm

Richard Arjoon lot of question, she said she wasn’t aware that the suitcase had drugs as she borrow it from a cousin.

• Richard Arjoon
      Richard Arjoon November 1, 2017 at 10:43 pm

Yes i get that.

4. Christopher Macauley
    Christopher Macauley November 1, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Send her home to her children. Wth a ban on coming back. The drugs never reached streets.

5. Deborah Lashley
    Deborah Lashley November 1, 2017 at 10:43 pm

Not for my dead mother

• Miche November 1, 2017 at 11:53 pm

you are cruel,,,for some reason ,i believe this one,,,, first time in my life, where drugs are concerned,,, these people come up with the sweetest .pre planned lies……but this one would take the cake……… I would show leniency on this one….

6. Thunder November 2, 2017 at 10:31 am

People like to target people who are gullable,the cousin needs to be brought into the picture, this is a perfect example of what happens when you trust people,I believe it was a set up from day one since this young girl does not have the money to import this amount of drugs.
    She was chosen because of her innocent look,but their plan back fired when the canine unit appeared, and this is why I refuse to bring in anything for anyone,or allow to help me pack when I’m travelling.
    This young girl is taking the fall for a bigger fish,and it is so sad,she had to take the fall for this,it is a hard lesson to learn, but I trust she will learn from this valuable lesson.

7. Storm November 2, 2017 at 1:23 pm

If she told her cousin that her bag got mix up is it a bad thing for the cousin to be worried or wants to know what’s going on with her.Why didn’t she speak about the cousin the first time.I’m sorry to hear about this hope for the best for her.The way they use innocent people.

8. Maria November 2, 2017 at 6:22 pm

All she had to do was check the suitcase. I am not sure I’m buying that innocent story. If someonewants you to bring a package, tell the them it mis Moy be wrapped up. It’s your behind

9. Elle November 2, 2017 at 10:32 pm

I dont believe ah blinkin word she said

10. Satana November 3, 2017 at 5:16 pm

As always you think you always know bajans ready to jump to conclusions