We won’t take down flags – BRSA

The Barbados Road Safety Association (BRSA) has served notice on the Freundel Stuart administration that it will not voluntarily take down flags placed along Barbadian roads to alert drivers to the presence of potholes.

BRSA President Sharmane Roland-Bowen told Barbados TODAY the flags were serving their intended purpose and the association would stand its ground.

“We will not be removing them unless we are commanded to in writing. The flags attract the attention of motorists and show them where the potholes are located. We have been receiving tremendous response. The phones have been ringing off the hook. Persons are just thanking us for highlighting where the potholes, which are hazards, are located. The response from the general public is that the flags show them where the potholes are, especially at night, and they really appreciate that,” Roland-Bowen said.

Speaking on the state own Caribbean Broadcasting Corporation last night, Minister of Transport and Works Michael Lashley made it clear Government would not be held accountable for any accidents caused by the flags.

Lashley said although well intentioned, the BRSA did not have permission to plant the flags.

However, a defiant Roland-Bowen said if the association were to voluntarily remove the flags it would be the equivalent of colluding with the authorities in neglecting their duty to road users.

“Our flags, they help save people from landing in the potholes and can also save lives and injuries when people try to avoid the potholes at last minute. In road safety we do not react, we take a proactive approach to prevent collisions from happening. We are standing ground; we are standing up for safety on our roads. You have to stand for something [or] you would fall for anything,” the road safety advocate said.

She said for far too long Barbadians had been sitting idly by and suffering as a result of bad roads, and now was the time to take a stand.

“Our roads have been deteriorating for decades. They’ve gotten to the point where they are weak that’s why they’re developing so many potholes. We have also taken poor lighting conditions on a number of our roads. We have been paying our taxes and getting nothing in return. We aren’t second class citizens and we don’t want second class treatment. We want to make that perfectly clear,” she stressed.

This was not the first time that the BRSA was defying the authorities on the flag planting issues.

Shortly after launching the initiative at the start of the year, at which brightly coloured flags were erected along sections of the roads in several communities to alert motorists of upcoming potholes, the MTW called on the association to take them down, contending that they were “in contravention of a subsection law and the flags posed a hazard”.

Confident that the public was behind the initiative, Roland-Bowen said at the time while the association would not erect any more flags, it would not take down any of those it had already planted.

However, it relaunched the programme last weekend with a strong message to the MTW that potholes do not save lives, they take lives.

Today, Roland-Bowen also advised motorists that should their vehicles be damaged by potholes, they are entitled to compensation.

“Take a photograph of the pothole along with the damage on the car, take note of the conditions, get an estimate, and take it in the Licensing Authority. It will take long but stick it out. That’s what they want. They want to frustrate us. The process will take a long time and they want us to get frustrated and not get compensation. But no, we deserve better roads because we are paying taxes. We should be treated better and it’s about time we take a stand,” Roland-Bowen stressed.

40 Responses to We won’t take down flags – BRSA

1. Sylvie October 31, 2017 at 10:11 pm

An illegal action no permission was given

2. luther thorne October 31, 2017 at 10:23 pm

There was no permission given for the erection of Billboards across the island of Barbados in 2007/2008 for the Elections. The DLP erected them all over BARBADOS

3. Loretta Griffith November 1, 2017 at 12:28 am

What message is she sending? Seems like bullying to me.
    Lord save Barbados. We were saved from the ravages of Harvey,
    Irma and Maria, but we seem to have other hurricanes in the making.

4. Johnathan November 1, 2017 at 1:25 am

Loretta you sound very iliterate..what message is government sending with the present condition of our roads? The actions of the association can save lives whilst the government’s inaction ca n take lives. Wunnah DLPites truly classless,senseless and thoughtless..

5. Loretta Griffith November 1, 2017 at 5:07 am

Johnathan, I have always said up front my intelligence is limited.
    As to being classless, senseless and thoughtless who could be moreso than you?
    For your information they are two things I value highly, my self worth and my integrity.
    I was never a KA person and never will. I have made it without political parties and will continue to do so. For your information I think I have pedigree. I call a spade a spade. Neither do I play to the gallery. Objectivity is my watch word.
    What message are you both sending to the gullible minds out there? That bullying tactics are acceptable? We all know the roads need fixing like yesterday, but that is not the way to do it. I, too pay road tax, land tax, VAT and income tax and wished our country was in a better state with the taxes we all hopefully pay.
    I marvel at the extent to which persons are prepared to go with this Prime Minister. They could not do it with Prime Minsters Barrow, Adams or Arthur.
    Enough said!

• hcalndre November 1, 2017 at 10:54 am

@Loretta Griffith; how can you claim to have those things and want to tell Ms. Bowen that she`s a bully. What Ms. Bowen is doing is a bold act, why don`t you ask this government what are they doing with the taxes that they are collecting and have the roads fixed, what I can say about you is that you are a slave minded bajan, you will give up your rights and stay in your corner while other people would die for their rights.

6. Tony Webster November 1, 2017 at 5:55 am

De lady got somethings that are scarce hereabouts…and precious: common-sense; dignity; guts; a social conscience; and a back-bone! Look good too yah!

Well done!!

• Milli Watt November 1, 2017 at 1:48 pm

AGREED!!!!!!

7. MARIA Holder November 1, 2017 at 6:12 am

Help me to understand? Is she breaking the law? and if she is, why is the Minister on CBC complaining about the action rather than having her arrested. I suspect she is breaking no laws and as usual women are not to have ‘balls’. Additionally, we want to educate but still expect blind allegiance. I welcome the flags – have had two flat tyres already and there is no recourse, If I cannot get 2015 and 2016 refunds, which is legally mine, how can I expect compensation for two flat tyres. The Minister really use CBC time to talk about the association putting down flags? Really! That sound real Ossie Moorish

8. Richard Johnston November 1, 2017 at 6:50 am

“state own” s.b. “state ownED.” Speak-and-spell is alive and well in Barbados editorial offices.

9. Patrick November 1, 2017 at 7:11 am

I am weary of these organizations with one spokesperson, I think Charmain is looking for attention lime Malcolm Taitt

10. carl November 1, 2017 at 7:15 am

Stand your ground Mrs. Roland-Bowen. The signs can’t cause accidents. They’re not in the road. To the contrary they prevent accidents by highlighting the presence and location of the hazard. Too often motorists encounter last minute and swerve instinctively to avoid one only to find themselves in the path of oncoming traffic. People must use common sense and stop with this political allegiance. Which ever party is in power, the roads need fixing.

11. Carson C Cadogan November 1, 2017 at 7:27 am

THE ROYAL BARBADOS POLICE FORCE NEED TO CHARGE YOU.

What you are doing is illegal.

You are not the CHEIF TECHNICAL OFFICER OF BARBADOS.

• hcalndre November 1, 2017 at 11:01 am

Here goes Carson C Clown again. Ms. Bowen should be the Chief Technical officer because she would do the job.

12. Alex Alleyne November 1, 2017 at 7:31 am

Great move , at least one person seem to have some strength. Now look out, some law will be sought by someone and try to “lock-you-up” for putting them up in the first place. Next move should be the biggest FLAG put in front of the Minister’s Office. Many vehicles on the road, meaning many people driving, why not call for a NATION SHUT DOWN by the driving public. We love marching, or are we waiting for some “white person” to say “LETS MARCH AGAINST POT HOLES”………….THEN WE FOLLOW…….right?????. Forward March.

13. archy perch November 1, 2017 at 7:34 am

Everybody playing politics nowadays….everybody.
    And they heading organisations to do it. SMH.
    The QEH better have enough beds in the intensive care to hold wanna next year.
    Owen – Mr. BLP – said in 2013 a win is a win, if only by one vote.
    The same will be again in 2018.

• hcalndre November 2, 2017 at 12:18 am

@anchy perch; for the record, give 6 things that your party has done in 10 years that you would say they deserve another 5 years. These are some of the things that people look forward to from any government, don`t care what part of the world they are living. Jobs, proper bus and on time service, proper roads, good water and services, being paid on time, tax returns when due, less taxes, proper hospital facilities and services, these are some of the things that the your government is responsible for, true or false?

14. Zed layson November 1, 2017 at 7:57 am

Isn’t coconut vending on the highways breaking the laws of Barbados or at least the highway code. They are selling on the emergency lane of the highway… coconuts flying onto highway and trucks parked on the highway offloading and loading the shells… although this has nothing to do with this particular situation it does speak to laws being broken using our highways…

If the flags are illegal she should take them down bit I do applaud her for making the move, because we need something done to fix all these wrongs in this society…

My 2 cents

• hcalndre November 2, 2017 at 12:21 am

@Zed layson; the wrongs should be fix from inside out, first.

15. Carson C Cadogan November 1, 2017 at 9:00 am

Is she breaking the Law and getting away with it because she is married to a Policeman?????

• roger headley November 1, 2017 at 9:19 am

You tell us Carson, is she? And as Zed Layson said, is selling coconut, egg, watermelons etc. on the highways legal? Are all these vendors married to policemen/women?

• 3rdsun November 1, 2017 at 10:09 am

looka this yard turkey

16. gsmiley November 1, 2017 at 12:30 pm

Mr cadogan her husband died some years ago didn’t he?

• Carson C Cadogan November 1, 2017 at 12:44 pm

So??

She still has absolutely no respect for our Laws. She should be arrested, charged and taken before a Court of Law.

17. Carson C Cadogan November 1, 2017 at 12:52 pm

This is an example of why our young people are developing a complete disregard for our Laws.

When they see Adults who ought to know better and set better examples for them to follow breaking our laws , the young people used their deviance as a bad example to follow.

And the we blame the young people.

She ought to be ashamed of herself.

18. Carson C Cadogan November 1, 2017 at 12:53 pm

A big hard back old woman like her.

19. Carson C Cadogan November 1, 2017 at 1:14 pm

What I will like to say to the Barbados Labour Party Leadership and the news media in Barbados who are supporting and encouraging these lawless acts, once the Genie is out of the bottle, you cant put it back in.

Once people get accustom to being lawless they don’t go back to being law abiding citizens. They just get worse.

Look at Jamaica and now Trinidad and St. Lucia as examples.

• hcalndre November 2, 2017 at 12:40 am

@Carson C Clown; It is such a thing called Civil disobedience which many barbadians don`t know of or afraid of being arrested. Trinidadians, Jamaicans are people that will stand up for their rights while the bajans still have that slave, docile, house negro mentality so when some one has the will to stand up, the bajan will join with massa to defeat the purpose although it would be of some help to them. You know Malcolm X said that when the master is sick, the house negro feels the pain.

20. Helicopter(8P) November 1, 2017 at 3:51 pm

A great and honorable road safety act ! More power to you BRSA!!

21. Helicopter(8P) November 1, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Is it Democraticly and politically correct to ask Ministers and the Prime Minister what is their monthly take home pay ? Forgive me if I’m out of order but I think the general public and international organizations should know in relation to the Great Divide in econonics

• hcalndre November 2, 2017 at 1:26 am

Hellicopter(8P); you know it`s easier to know the salaries of the ministers in England and the US. and to see the profiles on them than it is in Barbados, nothing on attorneys in Barbados and this has nothing to do with Mia Mottley because as far as I`m concerned, Mia Mottley is a qualified attorney, did not for Barbados Underground and Naked Departure you would not know which of them to avoid when doing business. This LEC that the DLP and the yard fowl is making an issue of is not going to help them because the ones that have the LEC were bypass by an ex PM and he went out on a limb to bring one from NY that did not have the right to practice in Barbados to be the CJ. Spend how many years at Cave Hill and then go to Trinidad and come back with an LEC paper and Bang!!! you`re a top class bajan attorney.

22. Belfast November 1, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Has it ever occurred to the lady and her supporters that these flags could distract a motorist?

23. Ric November 1, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Thank goodness she is married to a policeman(if she really is) and can flaunt the law to save us.

24. MARIA Holder November 1, 2017 at 9:35 pm

Carson C Cadogan, the roads are in this present state because you have too much time on your hand to comment on Barbados Today. You just like Kellman – has the time to be on Brass Stacks rather than his Ministry. You need to go out and start patching the potholes

25. Loretta Griffith November 1, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Hcaindre I have difficulty comprehending, so I would not be able to detect bullying tactics. We have young gullible minds out there, where it takes nothing to impress their thinking and who are quick to tell you the adults do it, why can’t I?
    I am not an attention seeker. Unlike you all I do not KA. I can stand up to anyone as a law abiding citizen of this country. I do not do other persons bidding. I call it as I see it.
    Like I said earlier, honesty is my watch word. When I look in the mirror I can proudly say I am comfortable with what I see. No compromising.

• hcalndre November 2, 2017 at 1:39 am

@ Griffith Loretta. by the comments you make I can say that you are a proud, docile, obedient and law abiding bajan that would not stand up for your rights.

26. Sheralyn Rowe November 2, 2017 at 7:14 am

Michael Lashley face needs to be twisted back in the right direction.

27. Sheralyn Rowe November 2, 2017 at 7:19 am

We really don’t want to hear about whether the flags should be taken down or not. We want to know when the governmnent is going to properly fix the roads of Barbados. The people of Barbados who pay the road tax so that the roads could be suitable enough for them to safely drive on. Stop shifting attention from the crux of the matter.

28. Mikey November 2, 2017 at 12:40 pm

If planted on private property, is it illegal too ?

29. Loretta Griffith November 2, 2017 at 12:43 pm

hcalndre: Contrary to your believe, I stand up for my rights when I have to and would not get vex with anyone for standing up for theirs.
    There is a saying, it is not what you do, but how you do it. I find that nearly everyone appears aggressive for the wrong reasons.
    I, too am fed up with the direction of this country and have written to this effect. After paying the taxes we are called upon to pay we should have a country that look like its former pristine self not a rundown looking country that looks as though you are running a penny shop.
    I have a home and both in and out is kept clean. If I may say so, thise who visit me marvel at how I keep my home(from the
    bathroom to the yard). Mind you, it is not a hospital.
    Sheralyn Rowe, I concur with your view in your second letter.