Mara must clear the air, Wickham says

Political Scientist Peter Wickham is calling on Member of Parliament for St John Mara Thompson to clearly state whether or not she intends to contest the next general election, constitutionally due by the middle of next year.

Noting that rumours continue to swirl around the candidacy of the widow of late Prime Minister David Thompson, coupled with the fact that the ruling Democratic Labour Party (DLP) has yet to name its full slate of candidates, Wickham argued that Thompson owes it to the people of St John not to leave them hanging.

Earlier today Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley took to social media to deny that he was the author of a letter to Prime Minister Freundel Stuart, expressing an interest representing the DLP in St John.

Lashley said the letter was fake, and an attempt by the Opposition Barbados Labour Party to smear him.

However, Wickham told Barbados TODAY the authenticity of the letter had little to do with the burning issue.

“To me the news is not whether or not Minister Lashley is interested. If he is denying that the letter is real then that is neither here nor there to me, but the real issue is whether or not Mara Thompson is running. It was fascinating that yesterday she took a podium at a function in St John and spoke of a level of integrity that is needed and the question as to whether or not she is running at this stage is also relevant to that topic,” Wickham said in reference to a statement by the St John parliamentary representative at the annual David Thompson Memorial Service at St Margaret’s Anglican Church that she had no interest in gutter politics.

“We have a right to know as a public whether or not Mara Thompson is running again and I don’t know how we could let go of that in the public domain. We are looking at a general election that is due by the very latest May next year and I think that the people of St John have a right to know whether or not she is running again,” he insisted, going on to say that a statement from either Thompson or the party’s leadership would put rest any notion of an internal scramble for the DLP stronghold.

It was last week that Wickham told Barbados TODAY that the DLP could count on four safe seats in the election, one of which is St John. However, he said at the time that if there were any truth to reports that Thompson would no longer contest election, the seat could become vulnerable.

The Caribbean Development Research Services pollster is also contending that the ruling party is displaying a certain degree of arrogance by failing to name candidates in a number of constituencies.

“There is the St Peter seat, the St Michael North seat and so many other places that the Democratic Labour Party has not named candidates. One can argues that they still have time before election is called because, after all, they have to set the date and they would make sure that they are ready before the election is called.

“They seem pretty confident of winning, so for them these things are not urgent. But for a sitting Member of Parliament there is a greater import, especially in an area as critical as St John. The level of unpreparedness on the part of this Government is fascinating, but I guess it is all part of communicating that things are looking good for them and that they have the election sewn up,” Wickham said.

58 Responses to Mara must clear the air, Wickham says

1. Judah Bowen
    Judah Bowen October 23, 2017 at 10:14 pm

well said

2. Mark My Word October 23, 2017 at 10:43 pm

Senator Irene Sandiford-Garner fuh St.John
    Irene send in your letter of Intent

3. Zeus October 23, 2017 at 10:45 pm

If the letter is neither here or there with him my must Mara Thompson declare if she is running in the next election or not ….the same question can be said of all the sitting members in the House of Parliament….BT this is a stupid article you can do better than this ….politics of desperation

4. Stell Alleyne
    Stell Alleyne October 23, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Doesn’t matter if she stays or go…St. John folks are wise ppl…so whether we put Mickey mouse the seat is already taken…so everything in due time Wickham!

• Ernesta Catlyn October 24, 2017 at 2:22 am

Really?

• Skilnic Skyy
      Skilnic Skyy October 24, 2017 at 3:18 am

Wise ppl??? And accept that level of representation for ever

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 6:26 am

Wise ppl ?? That’s why St John will always be in the worst possible state . Thompson became PM and went about his business doing all sorts of projects in every other parish and ain’t even look at the unfinished polyclinic . Look at the roads ? Todds roads etc don’t even suit to drive a tractor on . He was part of the whole Clico fiasco that left hundreds of the same St John workers out of a job on the 5 Clico estates yet most of them still had up a picture of the white lizard that was so big they had to take off the door to get it in . I would know I lived and worked for years in St John for the same Clico and all now I can’t get my money . Wonder who paying you , and I hope you getting pay good for your level of stupidity cause it’s obvious you were sent seeing as I been on these blogs for years and never once seen you and now you just appear last week on every single post . Keep it up . ” the higher the monkey climb the more he show he tail “

• Stell Alleyne
      Stell Alleyne October 24, 2017 at 6:56 am

Danny Clarke see that statement about St. John will always remain the worse state…you speak like a fool…you know NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT ST. JOHN and if you live there yet speak like this…SHAME ON YOU…the road which is one ain’t the worse, the polyclinic praise the Lord is finished and the BLP was in for fourteen (14)years and NEVER EVEN LOOK IN THE PARISH OF ST. JOHN to even throw a stone in their direction to start with… So please keep your your polictical speech about Mr. Thompson let his soul rest in peace…he not only had awesome plans for St. John but for Barbados…no one… absolutely no one can QUESTION his leadership that was short lived…as for the CLICO SITUATION which seems his name is constantly being repeated in by some of you BLP supporters…what is the saying hmmmm “dead man can’t tell no tales” he is not around to defend himself…

• hcalndre October 24, 2017 at 3:01 pm

@Stell Alleyne; That $3m died and buried with him too? let the Clico investors know.

• Errol Rayside
      Errol Rayside October 24, 2017 at 7:59 am

wise ppl…????? lol

• Stell Alleyne
      Stell Alleyne October 24, 2017 at 8:59 am

Errol Rayside what wise decision are you about to make…vote BLP? Really you folks are are trying to belittle the folks in the parish of St. John ought to be shame of yourselves… Only the folks there know their pain and their gain….but if the BLP gets into power…you and others will know your pain!

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 9:17 am

Someone could belittle the ppl of St John more than the DLP ? 2 PM’s and nothing to show for it . Even the yardfowls like Marshall run n left his family up there fast as ass

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 9:22 am

You could really carry your ugly ass . I lived in St John for over 20 years . I know a lot more about St John . Clico , Thompson and Parris than a come ya goat like you that just turn up on facebook last week kissing DLP pooch . When the BLP was in power I never had to wait for 4 weeks to get garbage pick up . I never went days without water , I never had to fix my vehicle every other week because of the craters all over the place . Barbados was 10000% better off before wunna misfits came to power . Had awesome plans for St John yet started work on all sorts of projects and left Mara to beg for it to restart ?? Answer me . Did PM Thompson restart the polyclinic ? NO !!! He left it right there . But he was busy enough with Leroy . Clico had a lot of plans for St John but not agricultural ones . I’ll repeat for you once again. I worked for Clico

• Yaaqov Abioye
      Yaaqov Abioye October 24, 2017 at 9:25 am

Danny Clarke I do agree with you that St John should be better. However Arthur did nothing in St Peter either roads there are very bad.

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 9:28 am

My roads where I live in St Peter only came in despair in the last 9 years . I think you mixing up St Peter and St Lucy . I challenge you to name to roads in despair in St Peter . I know them all and when their deterioration started. I been living down here sinse Clico shut down

• straight talk October 24, 2017 at 9:31 am

So that is the kind of representation the people of St.John would rather have?

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 9:32 am

And I challenge this new sheep to tell me what great plans were in the making for St John ??? Funny I lived up there and never heard of any .

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 9:33 am

I’m waiting for you to list the road in St Peter that terrible ??? Can’t find any yet ?? Want me list the ones under Kellman in St Lucy for you first ??

• Stell Alleyne
      Stell Alleyne October 24, 2017 at 9:38 am

Danny Clarke yes I guess you know now how it feels since your representative then saw only to it that you guys were taken care of leaving the folks in St. John St.philip and others not that I am saying that’s the way it should be done but don’t come here and pretending that the ppl of St. John was ever cared for from the BLP

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 9:40 am

I lived in St John a lot longer than St Peter . I know the neglect of St John and St Lucy is far greater than any other parishes .

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 9:42 am

I never said St Peter was great . St Peter like other parishes had the benefits of 2 main highways which always seem to get the best care . Highway 1 and ABC .

• Stell Alleyne
      Stell Alleyne October 24, 2017 at 9:42 am

Danny Clarke new sheep hahahaha…by the way you ought to be shame of yourself…I guess you were satisfied with the treatment you were granted under the opposition however not everyone shares your view

• Stell Alleyne
      Stell Alleyne October 24, 2017 at 9:45 am

Yaaqov Abioye well said

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 9:45 am

I lived far better under the B’s . In fact I’ll challenge you to tell me one improvement you have seen under the D’s . Garbage collection ? Water supply ? Transport ? Condition of roads ? Health care ? Education ? Please tell me one area of improvement .

• Stell Alleyne
      Stell Alleyne October 24, 2017 at 9:45 am

Danny Clarke gud dear…you are lost!

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 9:47 am

Poor you . I ask you to name the roads in despair in St Peter that you spoke about . You can’t name them so you go off topic . Bye now . Seeing as you have nothing to bring to the table . And for the record a lot of places went under a poor economic situation yet came out while we can’t . You want to know why ? A lost PM and a MOF than has absolutely no financial / economic background

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 9:47 am

Are you living better now ??

• Yaaqov Abioye
      Yaaqov Abioye October 24, 2017 at 9:48 am

Danny Clarke you are making no valid point, all of Barbados knows very well that Barbados went under an economic crisis from 2007 and if the dlp did nothing in St Peter does not validate your point because little or nothing could have been done because of the limited revenued the country had or has so you are making a baseless point.

• Stell Alleyne
      Stell Alleyne October 24, 2017 at 9:48 am

Danny Clarke will you be living BETTER then….hmmmm you are in for a wide Awakening!

• hcalndre October 24, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Stell Alleyne; Should the DLP retain the Government, beep pockets would be the reason, not what they have done other than tax, tax and more taxes on the people. Pres. Bush senior campaign on, ” No new taxes, read my lips.” He broke that promise and he was a one term president. Say why the DLP should be re- elected unless the bajan people have all lost their minds.

Danny Clarke October 24, 2017 at 9:51 am

I know I will . Just I did in the 90’s when the BLP rescued us from the pit Sandiford n Co put us in

5. Yaaqov Abioye
    Yaaqov Abioye October 24, 2017 at 12:06 am

St John will always be a dlp seat. So what is it your asking Mr Wickham??

• Robert Goren October 24, 2017 at 6:31 am

“So what is it your asking Mr Wickham??”

It’s “you’re” NOT “your”

6. luther thorne October 24, 2017 at 1:08 am

The BLP should have had a strong Candidate in St. John longtime ago and even more so when Mara entered the fray. That is a seat that the DLP can lose but you have to work at it and wrest it. Keep more meetings and rub some shoulders and this advice is for any of the parties but all of them shy away from St. John saying one that it is a DLP safe seat
    Nonsense ! The St. John people are crying out for help but how can they be helped if the 3rd parties aint helping them by gping into St. John . Those people in St.John need : help , teaching , information and enlightenment

They do not know that Errol Barrow is mot alive. They are stuck in time and feel that he is still alive and they are voting for the man. They are in a Time Warp . You need to get to St.John and educate those people and bring them from darkness into light. From being the poorest parish to be prosperous
    From The most backwad , forward into light.

7. MARIA Holder October 24, 2017 at 2:10 am

Ah Luther you are waxing poetic but I agree with you

The time has come however for these Philistines to stop using the church as their political platform. Pastors, priests etc. need to demand that ahead of time they know what they intent to say. I have racked my brain to come up with any gutter talk from any member of the opposition and can think of none. I would have ordered her out of my pulpit. You are ‘somebody’ in Parliament but in church all are equal – No special treatment for all yuh

8. Angela Griffith
    Angela Griffith October 24, 2017 at 5:13 am

St John still vote for Barrow

• Mark My Word October 24, 2017 at 10:10 am

Cud Lord St. Michael North East still voting Mia although them know Mia

9. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn October 24, 2017 at 5:32 am

St John people need to wake up. Only ignorant people will vote for mars Thompson. You all need to change. Barrow DIED a long time ago.

• Ernesta Catlyn October 24, 2017 at 5:58 am

1987 to be exact

• Yaaqov Abioye
      Yaaqov Abioye October 24, 2017 at 9:27 am

That is in your opinion. St John people already know who they want. Why the insults to the people? Are they not within their right to choose whom they wish?

10. lester October 24, 2017 at 6:03 am

De new opposition leader in waiting, peter you ought to declare your hand too, you and your bullish tactics, mara is a full woman and will not be bullied by you, she will let the people know in due season

• hcalndre October 24, 2017 at 5:10 pm

@lester; did Mara ever said that she wanted to represent St. John? She was just force into that position, her husband left her very rich and she did not had to go out there and scrunt like the majority of her party.

11. Cheryl Barrow
    Cheryl Barrow October 24, 2017 at 6:33 am

she could running cause she is talk a lot junk

12. Meakai October 24, 2017 at 9:39 am

Seriously, how can anyone say with a straight face that the BLP did nothing in St John from 1994 – 2008?

13. Mark My Word October 24, 2017 at 9:43 am

Send Mia in St.John all the talk wunna got send shee or send Wick ham

14. Adrian Hinds October 24, 2017 at 10:09 am

St.John suffers for their political party loyalty as does St.Thomas. Two peas in a pod of political stupidy. People who collectively ignore their local needs base on tradition, tribal and family obligations.

15. Adrian Hinds October 24, 2017 at 10:18 am

Peter Wickham is only one person, he is also politically bias and has no credibility in his position on this matter. In addition, the representative for St.John has no obligation to him nor have they broken any laws or customs with regards to when she has to answer his allegations or rumours. But if I were to contrast Peter’s request to the Member of parliament for St.John over a rumour with rumours about a friend of his not having a lawfully required document to practice law in Barbados what would be his response? Indeed we know what his response is as he has given one on that rumour already. He dismissed it out of hand. I ask you is this not a bias person? why are the rumours about Mara Thompson running or not running again in St.John seems more important to Peter Wickham than the rumour of a missing LEC document by a practicing lawyer? He is bias.

• hcalndre October 24, 2017 at 5:28 pm

@Adrian Hinds; in this political season in barbados, is it mandatory to be a qualified attorney to be elected or be the PM? To the barbadian people who may not know, to be a jurist on the US Supreme Court, a law degree is not needed.

16. Milli Watt October 24, 2017 at 10:33 am

wick-ham is something else……………wonder which hole he just crawl out from (don’t answer that). what wick-ham needs to do is run as an independent maybe Mara will forget to get nominated and (s)he could win by default. where ever you is stand….. don’t come back

17. Kathy October 24, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Peter Wickham what pot you trying to stir. If the man say he ain’t send no letter to the Prime Minister, why the woman have to declare her hand. Every time any thing with the Prime Minister name in it you jumping in quick. You trying to hard Peter. Leave well alone. If and when things have to change, trust me you gine know.

18. Thunder October 24, 2017 at 3:29 pm

I totally enjoyed Danny Clarke’s post a person can only talk about their experiences people are still carrying on over a party that has proven they are not a poor people’s government, so let me highlight some things.
    Garbage use to pick up every day since I live near several hotels,now you don’t know when the garbage truck is coming the place is stink with the smell of garbage,cans filled to capacity, just passing the area makes you feel sick,the rain falls and garbage, sailing going down the road.
    People going to the Bradford Taitt polyclinic and no Doctor for two weeks,pregnant people can’t even get vitamins,no vitsmins were available,poor people cant even spend $100 in the supermarket, NSRL,raise from 2% to 10%,and the minister of finance can brag
    about making 50 million,St.John is only one parish what happen to the others?
    No one can deny when the B.LP was in power things were better,only the blind can’t see,the school meal department cooking dumplings and mince meat as a meal,when will we wake up?
    Don’t worry just now pet owners will have to let them go all because they can’t feed them,don’t worry leave them in St.John

• hcalndre October 24, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Jones said that he want more children in barbados, but he has not said what programs he will have so that the mothers and children would get supplements free for the first 5 years of their children` lives so if they are no doctors, no milk, no cereals, no vitamins, these children will hardly live to see 2 years.

19. Lorenzo October 24, 2017 at 6:43 pm

Danny Clarke ,come to the top of the class ,this DLP yardie Stel Alleyne seems like a newbie sent to distract people with trivial nonsense.You challenged her to produce any positive under this Government and all she can say is poor you,can find nothing of substance to bring like most of these Dems just eg Mark or Marcia My Word brings nothing of substance to any topic just a lot of half truths alike former PM Thompson,must be family ,how old are you 10years old?Tell them come with their record and let us hear especially of the 20 downgrades and broken promises .As for Ms Thompson no seat is invincible and based on her representation she can be beaten.

20. Belfast October 24, 2017 at 6:55 pm

Mr Wickham, ask one of the dozen or so Obeah men and women we see daily advertising their services in the Nation and also heard on CBC Radio.

21. Mark My Word October 25, 2017 at 7:25 am

Lorenzaa if the DLP win back de government all Aids medication going to be free, you will be in luck

22. F.A.Rudder October 26, 2017 at 2:24 pm

Being one of the first places on Barbados to vacation when Mara was a child of thirteen or so. I would believe she has fond memories of the people she was privileged to have met in St.John! She then further returned to attend Cave Hill Campus University of the West Indies! I was one of those persons who met the little thirteen year old as I recall some time around Summer of 1968 or ’69. This lady needs the independence of herself being address constantly as the late prime minister’s wife can give her some burdensome weight if she does not psyke it out for maximum performance levels!

23. Greengiant October 26, 2017 at 3:40 pm

Okay Wickham, so Mara should declare if she intends to run again?
    1.Why not ask Mia to declare if she’s a legal stow away as well?

We need declarations on several issues past, and present.

2.Why not ask Toppin to declare why he was fired by Arthur?

If you are to be respected as a political scientist then behave independently. I recall you picking at Owen when you were ignored by him, you are now picking at this administration since your contract cancellation with the C B C.

You should be telling the people the positives of the alternative parties, you should be talking with them to see what they have to offer. We’ve shared some years together as youngsters learning from the elders of both parties, we have the historical facts of these parties. You are now behaving like a political mercenary.

I am losing respect for your approach mate. For the good of the organisation you lead, and the benefit of the country, get back to basics please.

24. luther thorne October 26, 2017 at 6:46 pm

FA Rudder ! If you say that she was 13 in 1968/69 it means that she was born in 1955/56 and she would be 61 /62 years old. Check your facts or your claims.
    Fake News ?