St Michael woman becomes country’s latest road fatality

Police are investigating a road fatality which occurred sometime around 5:40 this morning along the Arch Hall section of the Ronald Mapp Highway.

A motor car being driven by 27-year-old Daniel Haynes of Jackmans, St Michael, was involved in an accident in the area of the Lawrence Johnson Roundabout.

June Sonia Knight, of Grazettes New Road, one of two female pedestrians in their mid-50s was killed in the accident. The other, Yolande Alleyne of Clear View, St James has been hospitalized.

Preliminary investigations revealed that the two females were part of a group of people jogging on the shoulder of the highway when they were struck by the motorcar. Both females sustain head injuries and were transported by ambulance to the QEH where Knight subsequently succumbed to her injuries.

Alleyne’s condition has been listed as stable.

32 Responses to St Michael woman becomes country’s latest road fatality

1. Oliver Smith October 21, 2017 at 11:43 am

RIP dear lady and may the Protector comfort your grieving family

2. Richard Braithwaite
    Richard Braithwaite October 21, 2017 at 11:50 am

So sorry ! My condolences !

3. Zari Ah
    Zari Ah October 21, 2017 at 11:51 am

R.I.P

4. Yvonne Rogers
    Yvonne Rogers October 21, 2017 at 12:07 pm

My prayers going out to the family.

5. Jeanetha Callender
    Jeanetha Callender October 21, 2017 at 12:10 pm

So sad ..just so…these young ppl got to learn to drive &take their time

6. Bajanfirstlady Wanda Hackett
    Bajanfirstlady Wanda Hackett October 21, 2017 at 12:10 pm

Stacey Johnson

7. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor October 21, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Left home and never imagined they would never return! We never know our day or hour… RIP June… Speedy recovery Yolande….

8. Mhizzeyejoyful Reece
    Mhizzeyejoyful Reece October 21, 2017 at 12:31 pm

May she rest in peace

9. Bobotheclown October 21, 2017 at 12:31 pm

First of all my sympathy goes out to these families.It is indeed a sad moment .I have noticed while travelling the Island, that there are now lots of people jogging .I have noticed that because there are not side walks to jog on ,individuals are jogging on the Shoulders or even the edge of the road.I’ve always thought this to be a very dangerous practice e
    because drivers are forced to slow to a crawl in sum instances to avoid striking joggers or even pedestrians that appear to think that they have the right to the roads. Because there are very few side walks in Barbados where one can safely walk, further more jog it would seem to be playing Russian Roulette with your life.It would be advisable for those wanting to run,jog realiDr the danger and instead jog on places like The Board Walk,The Garrison.The Beach,or any such location that would offer some safety.

• Anna October 21, 2017 at 1:18 pm

Your name is indeed correct, your whole comment is a joke. If you know nothing about the particular situition or the sport of running then take all the seats.

• Roger Headley October 21, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Unlike Anna I subscribe to your comments. I stopped running on the road because of the reckless driving. Most drivers appear not to respect pedestrian – even walking on the roads these days is playing russian roulette

I have family that continue to run on the road and I beseech them to at least run facing the oncoming traffic

• Fiona Waldron October 22, 2017 at 7:06 am

So true bobo. I myself have been driving and dodging walkers like this. I must say I was not going quickly but some joggers run three abreast and sometimes are unmindful that they are actually in the road i say unmindful because I know they are probably relaxed in the early morning and enjoying the camaradie. But for the driver it is also stressful as you also need to keep an eye on traffic on the other side of the road.Plus those who maybe overtaking!!! I really wish there were proper sidewalks for jogging and biking because really these are activities that should be encouraged.

10. M.m. Cumberbatch
    M.m. Cumberbatch October 21, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Omg. On the hard shoulder where ya “supposed” to be safe. So sad. Hate to hear about these things.

11. Kirk Sandiford
    Kirk Sandiford October 21, 2017 at 12:43 pm

Every single day we drive on our island’s roads….by now we should be a little more responsible….. especially at certain times….but

12. Maria Thompson
    Maria Thompson October 21, 2017 at 12:59 pm

My condolences to the family

13. Earl Crichlow
    Earl Crichlow October 21, 2017 at 1:10 pm

Well well…To much idiots on the road driving…Smh.. R.I.P

14. Cyan Jada
    Cyan Jada October 21, 2017 at 1:13 pm

I feel really bad about this, early morning walking is such a dangerous practice. Sometimes I wish there was a reset button for life. My sympathies to the family.

15. Lucky De Boss
    Lucky De Boss October 21, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Rest in peace

16. Ziggy Blessed
    Ziggy Blessed October 21, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Perhaps We need to start making vehicle ” accidents” that result in death criminal……so that when people kill people wrongfully they won’t get $3000 fines to the court while families are Lef broken…..

17. gsmiley October 21, 2017 at 3:11 pm

Ziggy it is a criminal offence. And its punishable by a term of imprisonment or a fine. Incarceration is seldom applied here even though some motorists have found themselves behind bars over the years.

It is more common for those found guilty of motor manslaughter to be handed a fine and suspension of their licenses.

To the family and friends of Ms. Knight I extend heartfelt condolences.

18. Katrina P Lewis
    Katrina P Lewis October 21, 2017 at 4:05 pm

Do we know for sure what happened here because accidents don’t happen they are caused

19. Cheryl Carter
    Cheryl Carter October 21, 2017 at 5:48 pm

My condolences to the family of Ms Knight. I also ask for God’s healing touch on Ms Alleyne.

20. hcalndre October 21, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Few things to say about the driving mentality in Barbados, the pedestrians and the roads, most of these people drive like they`re on the I 95 and the pedestrians think that the vehicle will end up in the hospital and not them. Barbados has no side walks so the people walk in road without a care or fear. The way that the pedestrians and the motorist uses the roads it would not surprise me if 2 or 3 lose their lives daily. Condolence to the family.

21. DE October 21, 2017 at 7:14 pm

My sympathy out to the family and friends. Hope the other person overcome their injuries. Why is everyone jumping to conclusions.
    What I can say is that the roads including the highway is no place to jog anymore. I don’t know if any of you all realize that the foot paths and the shoulders are now taken over by grass and small trees, leaving pedestrians to have to walk in the road. I do believe that drivers must be more cautious on the roads since they too have to be pulling away from the over growing bush on the road.

22. SSS October 21, 2017 at 8:28 pm

True that I am a driver and i have to think for both pedestrian and the drivers that comes on the opposite side of me. I am tired of slowing down to save the pediatrician because the drivers are not slowing down so I have no choice but to stop, and all the pediatricians does is look at me and don’t even say thanks. And then there are some that don’t even pay attention so I am one for sure does think for both drivers and pediatricians but what i can say for that lady RIP

23. Sheron Inniss October 21, 2017 at 8:59 pm

The shoulder of the road is not for vehicular traffic. It is for pedestrians. Yet every single day you can see road hogs aka motorists overtaking on the shoulder in rush hour traffic. Many a time I wish I were a pay loader.

• Coralita October 21, 2017 at 10:44 pm

You are correct.

• Fiona Waldron October 22, 2017 at 6:54 am

@Sheron Inniss. I am so sorry about this lady’s death. Really sad. Just a correction. The shoulder is not for pedestrians. It is legally for cars to pull over in emergency situations. Our call shouls really be to the government to put in proper sidewalks for the pedestrians with protective markings and barriers.

24. Nikky Daisley
    Nikky Daisley October 21, 2017 at 9:30 pm

My condolences to her family a May she rest in peace

25. Shelton Bascombe October 21, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Condolence to the family, friends and love one of Ms. Knight and a prayer for full recovery of Ms. Alleyne. May Ms. Knight rest in peace. This is so sad.

26. Elizabeth Skeete
    Elizabeth Skeete October 21, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Condolences to her family. R. I. P.

27. Epaphras D. Williams