Chancery Lane residents mad about Abed property

Our lives are in danger.

That is the claim of Earl Maynard, one of Barbados’ most famous sportsmen, who joined other residents of Chancery Lane, Christ Church to complain about a large area of bush in the community they believe could lead to a tragedy.

For several years residents in the district have called on authorities and the property owners to clear an overgrown piece of land from which the bush now extends into the only road leading to the close-knit district.

Several efforts by Barbados TODAY to reach officials at the Ministry of Environment and Drainage proved unsuccessful up to the time of publication.

Chancery Lane residents, including 81-year-old Earl Maynard, believe this large area of bush (above) can lead to a tragedy.

However, Maynard, a retired international body builder and actor and professional wrestler, claimed the offending property is owned by the Abed family, a well-known name in the local business community.

Residents insisted the issue had gone on for too long and needed to be addressed urgently.

“I called Denis Lowe’s office; that was a waste of time. They said they were going to come and take care of it [and] we got nothing.

“They haven’t cut this grass in ten to 15 years. All this bush belongs to Abed,” the outspoken resident said.

Citing the deadly fires earlier this month in the American state of California which destroyed close to 2 400 homes, Maynard feared a similar tragedy could occur in the Christ Church community as there was a single entry and exit.

“We got one way in and one way out. If anything happens the whole community will be wiped out,” said the bodybuilder who won Mr Universe in 1964.

“If there is a fire up here, we can’t get out, because of how tall the grass has grown.

“The fire would swing down behind my house. I lived in California and I saw those fires. They wiped out an entire area and that can easily happen
here.

“We close by the ocean and the wind shift would bring any fire unto our houses; we would all be burnt. It is as simple as that,” Maynard insisted.

The 81-year-old resident told Barbados TODAY that on previous occasions he paid to remove the grass and keep his surroundings clean, however, the cost of maintaining the lot was simply overbearing.

“We got tired of paying for it, we can’t afford it anymore. I had to pay for it because I fear it would grow on top of my house. The bush is halfway in the street and they won’t cut it.

“This is other people property. I should not have to pay for this. They don’t live down here but won’t come down here and clear it away,” Maynard complained, adding that it costs about $500 to clear the property.

He added that residents were also having issues with rodents and mosquitoes because of the grass.

When contacted by Barbados TODAY Anthony Abed responded by email saying: “The property is owned by multiple partners and we have engaged a property manager who has not reported any overgrown grass to us to date. We will, however, look into the issue as a matter of urgency.”

13 Responses to Chancery Lane residents mad about Abed property

1. archy perch October 19, 2017 at 10:15 pm

Maybe the authorities need to check out what growing among the bushes.

2. jrsmith October 20, 2017 at 5:47 am

Visiting barbados weeks ago, i couldn’t help but noticing the bush , bush everywhere its taking up half the roads , blocking out people houses , I totally agree with Mr Maynard its dangerous all over barbados cover in bush……..
    What the government should do , add to all properties a $250 annual clear up tax , the government would then employ those young lazy lay a bouts to lay they guns down and do some work clearing barbados up, hundreds of people could be employed…….,

3. Earl Maynard October 20, 2017 at 7:24 am

Eddy Abed is an absolute liar, his brother is in charge of the property. Multiple owners mean ”family”. I have personally spoken to his brother several times about the property and he has always promised to ”take care of it”. On several occasions his brother has requested of me to meet him on the property on Sunday mornings—and he has never shown up. Years ago when I first discussed the issue with Eddy Abed he told me very clearly that his brother was the one in charge of the property. He even gave me his brothers phone number. His brother told me that he had instructed a company to clear the bush–it never happened. That family could not care less about the people in Chancery Lane and surrounding areas who are in danger. Earl Maynard

4. Sue Donym October 20, 2017 at 7:50 am

Transport and works might have to take the lead on this. Since the growth has been allowed to encroach on the roadway, surely they have a duty to have it cut back. Then the relevant agency orders the property owner to clean up as necessary and prevent a recurrence – under penalty of law.

5. Johnathan October 20, 2017 at 8:26 am

Calling Denis Lowe or his office is like calling a grave yard. He is dead to everything except he guts and pockets.

6. eddy murray October 20, 2017 at 8:32 am

jr Smith what the government can do is to remove the land tax and then the people can clean the land with the money..What you think about that.

7. Ras October 20, 2017 at 10:12 am

Eddy Abed man clean up the RH place, it in like you working for $250 a week and can’t afford to clean it up

Clean up the damm place or sell it to the Rasta’s

• charjoy October 20, 2017 at 12:00 pm

Damn straight

8. jrsmith October 20, 2017 at 10:44 am

@,Eddy Murray , hail, hail, your (8:32 ) point taken, but the enforcement of the land tax in itself proves ownership , the clean up fee then put the ball in the governments court ….

9. ks October 20, 2017 at 11:00 am

To: Mr. jrsmith ……… I keep my ‘lil piece of land very clean …… and pay a very high tax rate on it……. why should I have to pay another $250 because some others are at fault?? I am sure there is a “law” somewhere under Health, or some other Ministry, that covers these type of careless acts. Enforce it!!!

10. jrsmith October 20, 2017 at 3:04 pm

@,KS , hail, hail your (11:00 ) I totally agree with you, I share the same fate of having to pay on 3 pieces of properties which was will to me which I keep very clean, although I am not living in barbados…
    You also made a point ,somewhere there is something to do with health and the environment , but as like everything who does what for nothing to happen, which means nothing is done anywhere…..

11. Belfast October 20, 2017 at 6:27 pm

And don’t call on the Minister of Agriculture, as he believes in the re-bushing of Barbados’s landscape. Ala the fields of wild river tamarind planted in the Belle area.

12. Sheron Inniss October 20, 2017 at 7:47 pm

me thinks 2 Bims operating here.