My dad raped me!

Chilling details of how a father violated a child

It was as chilling a story as anyone could ever tell.

It was the harrowing story of a 34-year-old woman describing in disturbing detail to a hushed audience of leading jurists, including the country’s chief judge and a member of the region’s appellate court, the nightmare she endured over virtually her entire lifetime as she was raped over and over, and the flippant reaction of law enforcers towards her.

Alicia Bailey sent chills down the spines of some and brought tears to the eyes of others as she told this morning’s launch of the Model Guidelines for Sexual Offence Cases in the Caribbean how those close to her, including her own father, had raped her by the time she was four years old.

“At the age of four to six years old I was sexually abused by persons who were known as friends of the family. Onwards from that age, I was sexually assaulted into my adult years by my father, family members . . . I was raped on more than one occasion. Those experiences have left a stain on my life,” Bailey said somberly, causing some audience members to bite their lips.

Among those who heard her story were Chief Justice Sir Marston Gibson and other High Court judges, Madame Justice Maureen Rajnauth-Lee of the Trinidad and Tobago-based Caribbean Court of Justice and Canadian High Commissioner to Barbados Marie Legault.

They listened intently as Bailey, in control of her emotions, lamented that to this day none of her attackers had been made to pay for their crimes.

She explained that this was because she was forced to drop the cases against her family members and refused to report a rape by a man years later after being told by a law enforcement officer it would not succeed because of her history of withdrawing charges.

What made her story even more unnerving is the fact that Bailey is the child of a rape victim, her mother also having been sexually assaulted by Bailey’s dad, with whom the mother never had a relationship. And despite having to recall the horror, the mother-of-three tried to force a smile as she shared her experience with the justice system.

“My first experience with the justice system happened when I was just ten years old. Due to my mum’s past experience with my dad, when I started to spend time with him, she asked me one day if my father was touching me inappropriately . . . which she explained to me what that meant. I told her ‘yes,’” said Bailey, who now takes her story to male inmates at HMP Dodds and church groups.

Bailey recalled her mother reporting the matter immediately to the police, who in turn suggested that she should see a doctor.

“I remember lying down on a bed in a room and being examined by a male doctor while two police officers . . . a male and a woman, watched. My mum was not in the room because she was asked to leave. I was frightened so I began to shake like a leaf. I did not know what to expect at that time. After the examination my mum was called and told in front of me that the abuse was evident.”

She remembered accompanying her mother to a meeting with a Child Care Board official but said she felt no better on leaving, with the multiple rape victim feeling annoyed that the official had sought to imply she only reported her father because she was trying to get attention.

Bailey also told those present when the case against her father first reached the court she was yelled at by a judicial officer several times during questioning, and accused of lying and seeking attention.

Her father’s wife then persuaded her to withdraw the charge, suggesting that “if you really love your dad, you won’t hurt him like this”.

However, this was not the end of her ordeal as her father would rape her again when she was 15, Bailey recounted.

Her mother again reported this to police, but a female officer suggested it would make no sense filing the report because she was “sexually active”, Bailey said.

Pointing out that she thought this meant her father had sex with her, Bailey told this morning’s event at the Courtyard by Marriott in Hastings, Christ Church, she vowed then never again would she turn to the justice system for help “because as a victim at the time I was made to feel that my past court case would hinder me from getting the necessary help I needed”.

She also recalled that her final experience with the justice system came as an adult after her cousin’s boyfriend had sexually assaulted her.

Bailey said the police officer taking the statement from her had flirted with me.

“It has been four years since that report was made and nothing has come of it. During the four-year period, I have had to deal with yet another sexual offence. This, however, was not reported as I had become weary doing so due to this last experience while reporting my statement,” she said.

The new guidelines fall under the Judicial Reform and Institutional Strengthening Project project to improve the management of sexual offence cases and the treatment of witnesses and survivors of sexual offences throughout the region.

The guidelines provide guidance to justice sector stakeholders – judicial officers, attorneys, prosecutors, police and health and social care providers – during the life cycle of a case. They set the minimum acceptable standards for the provision of quality service and support to the survivors of sexual assault and equitable justice to all those involved.

Bailey said she was cautiously optimistic, although she warned that nothing would change unless the people who work within the justice system apply these guidelines.

“My hope is that the different individuals who work within the justice system will not only hear the words of the guidelines, but will do what they say,” she said.

emmanueljoseph@barbadostoday.bb

142 Responses to My dad raped me!

1. Heather Woolfolk
    Heather Woolfolk October 17, 2017 at 10:56 pm

Her story is not unique; many children have been abused and authorities has played dumb. Glad she had gained the confidence to tell her story and in doing so will empower others to come forward.

• Sharon Taylor
      Sharon Taylor October 18, 2017 at 6:41 am

It’s unique to her…. The pain and shame she went through was not shared…. But yes, it’s customary for family members and close friends to sexually abuse kids, that’s what u meant, and I got it…

• Gillian Skeete
      Gillian Skeete October 18, 2017 at 7:40 am

Really? Four years old? Maybe not unique to you Heather Woolfolk but unique to thousands of others. Your comment sounds like it’s an everyday thing find your comment casual and cold

• Heather Woolfolk
      Heather Woolfolk October 18, 2017 at 7:43 am

Gillian Skeete , I am saying abuse happened with other children that has not been exposed or the authorities has not prosecuted the perpetrators.

• Sharon Taylor
      Sharon Taylor October 18, 2017 at 7:45 am

Gillian Skeete she actually meant that the act of friends and family members sexually abusing children repeatedly is not new… Probably also meant the advice given by the police officer as well…. No I am not in her mind…. But I do speak like that most of the time, expecting others to understand but is usually misunderstood!

• Heather Woolfolk
      Heather Woolfolk October 18, 2017 at 7:46 am

Sharon Taylor , thank you for further explaining my points.

• Sharon Taylor
      Sharon Taylor October 18, 2017 at 7:59 am

Dont worry Heather Woolfolk I usually speak like that.. So I got what u were saying… It was nothing….

2. Syruppy Kennedy
    Syruppy Kennedy October 17, 2017 at 10:57 pm

This so sad your a strong person some would already try committing suicide but this the reason why some people dont go foward when there rape because of the way there treated by the system. But the father give you the streghten to talk but the lord never sleep all who did would be dealt with

• Billy Darroux October 19, 2017 at 11:50 am

Your comment is so true. I am an ex police officer in an other country and i know about these things.

3. Andrea BajanfromEaglehall Rock
    Andrea BajanfromEaglehall Rock October 17, 2017 at 10:57 pm

I am speechless! What kind of people r put in place to help protect d innocent. Too much dam hush hush bout d place. Laws needs to change n amend. This is not back in time. There’s plenty more of these stories. And d wife…is a dog.
    I would have killed his azzz if I was her mom!!!!

4. Lisa Moore
    Lisa Moore October 17, 2017 at 11:03 pm

What a rough life this lady went through, can’t help but state that this story leaves alot to be questioned.

5. Linda Freeman
    Linda Freeman October 17, 2017 at 11:05 pm

Alicia Bailey i am so very proud of you continue to speak your truth….i am praying that someday…your father have it in him and all those who abuse you to at least apologise, to you for their actions..you are the voice for so many who are afraid to speak out…love you hon…

• Heather Woolfolk
      Heather Woolfolk October 17, 2017 at 11:35 pm

These criminals and deviants should not be allowed to get off with just an apology. Victims are scared for life; perpetrators needs similar sentences.

• Linda Freeman
      Linda Freeman October 18, 2017 at 6:56 am

I agree!! but i believe her statue of limitation has long gone…almost all the people in her life that should have protected her, has fail her, her father, the family friend, the police whom she thought would be the one place she could seek justice…but to no avail…so at least now apologies are needed, and let her just move on and continue to speak her truth and be that voice for persons who feel they can not speak out…it takes a very stong individual to stand up….and let their voice be heard…

• Indira Thakurdin October 19, 2017 at 12:42 pm

I dont believe that this kind of offence as statute of limitations…

6. Christopher Macauley
    Christopher Macauley October 17, 2017 at 11:06 pm

My soul is offended

7. Everton Kennedy
    Everton Kennedy October 17, 2017 at 11:07 pm

I could understand the part ,she was abused at a younger age,but after you grow up ever male you came into contact with raped you ? Why and how, I don’t get it,girl have a tendency to shy away from men ,or potential would be,in other words after a girl reaches a certain age , don’t be fooled she would be able to notice the male’s that are taking special interest in a particular way,and would avoid their company,so as to protect herself.

• Harriette Carrington
      Harriette Carrington October 17, 2017 at 11:08 pm

What?

• Linda Muir
      Linda Muir October 17, 2017 at 11:15 pm

Seriously?????

• Virgo Sparkle
      Virgo Sparkle October 17, 2017 at 11:18 pm

Continue blaming the victim. Smh.

• Trudy Allen
      Trudy Allen October 17, 2017 at 11:18 pm

You don’t know what you are talking about. Ignorant.

• Paula Husbands
      Paula Husbands October 17, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Were you ever raped to know what each individual would do or not do

• harry turnover October 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm

…..and were YOU ever raped to know what each individual would do or not do ?

• Jai Khan
      Jai Khan October 17, 2017 at 11:38 pm

It is actually good to see this view posted here, because it actually serves to reinforce what persons who speak out about sexual abuse sometimes face. Not everyone will give them a listening ear and not everyone will be supportive. In many cases the fear of hearing a response like this causes the abused to remain silent so it is good to see this view because it says the fears are real.

• Maggie October 18, 2017 at 8:16 pm

So true and sometimes the same sorry situation seems to just follow a person all their life. We need to break the cycle through awareness and education. We are only a circumstance away from some unfortunate incident(s).

• Billy Darroux October 19, 2017 at 11:55 am

It is possible that the initial incidents were known in the small circle around her, and that she would probably not report or be believed by anyone. So the other perpetrators though it safe to abuse her again.

I believe her, and from experience its rare to find a woman going out in public risking all to tell these tales.

Young lady i salute you. You will only be stronger.
          And of course i cannot really tell here what i think should happen to your attackers.

• Sue October 18, 2017 at 1:16 am

Are you serious,take off your blinders, sexual assault is very common in Barbados. too common. where there is no justice what do you expect. Police officer were the ones dissuading her from seeking justice or do you think it is just her that is the norm in Barbados. I know of a case where a child was sexually assaulted and the police told the mother man that case going to take real long no since pressing charges.

• Anfaani Henry
      Anfaani Henry October 18, 2017 at 1:37 am

Victim blaming…you have no clue. Women who have been raped have no boundaries and will keep putting themselves in harms way because they are stuck in trauma. You are part of the problem. Learn something before speaking.

• ulaunda October 18, 2017 at 7:58 am

so right anfaani henry they have no clue whatsoever

• Epaphras D. Williams
      Epaphras D. Williams October 18, 2017 at 2:42 am

You are going to hold some fire for that thoughtless and careless line of reasoning. Shame on you Everton.

• Claire Gibson
      Claire Gibson October 18, 2017 at 2:47 am

It is statistically proven that children who are raped are far more likely to be sexually assaulted later in life. The same is true for adult rape victims, the likelihood of recurrence is significant.

• Claire Gibson
      Claire Gibson October 18, 2017 at 2:49 am

“It’s not an unusual phenomenon. A little known fact is that being sexually assaulted puts you at a much higher risk of being assaulted again in the future, as does childhood sexual abuse.”

• Amber Nicole
      Amber Nicole October 18, 2017 at 7:16 am

Too asinine a comment

• Patricia V. Gaskin
      Patricia V. Gaskin October 18, 2017 at 8:34 am

Yes Everton, tell us how since you are an authority on the subject. Explain how she should shy away

• Ashaki October 19, 2017 at 7:09 am

Every episode of rape encountered by this lady is wrong and sick and the perpetrators should have been dealt with through the justice system. I could understand the abuse when at a younger age,but after reaching adulthood, why and how did all these male members of her family or almost every man she encountered continue to rape her again and again? Unless she is mentally challenged, i find it quite difficult to understand.

• andy g October 19, 2017 at 8:40 am

you have to be a reah RH.where did it imply that every male she came into contact with raped or tried to rape her

8. Cindy Bunting
    Cindy Bunting October 17, 2017 at 11:12 pm

You are stronger than you know. Proud of you. Keep your head high. There is something called Karma.

9. Judy Skinner
    Judy Skinner October 17, 2017 at 11:14 pm

What a brave young lady.

10. Cindy Bunting
    Cindy Bunting October 17, 2017 at 11:14 pm

There are many wolves in sheep’s clothing out there!

11. E Jerome Davis
    E Jerome Davis October 17, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Why does my Thomas side show itself here?

• Heather Woolfolk
      Heather Woolfolk October 17, 2017 at 11:23 pm

Doubting???

• Devonte Mccollin
      Devonte Mccollin October 18, 2017 at 12:41 am

I understand exactly what you mean.. but if this is really true then it’s terrible!!!

• Enam Idrissa
      Enam Idrissa October 18, 2017 at 12:41 am

It’s your penis.

Most don’t know this, but Penis is actually a sir name and most men’s penises are christened Thomas.

All Thomas Penises are doubtful about the allegations of sexual abuse towards women.

• Epaphras D. Williams
      Epaphras D. Williams October 18, 2017 at 2:44 am

Because you need to see the scars and the imprints for yourself. Just believe Thomas Davis, you are not the lady in question.

• Mia Colucci October 18, 2017 at 6:31 am

You fit the profile of the type of person that victims encounter when they try to tell someone about what happened to them.

• Michelle Griffith
      Michelle Griffith October 18, 2017 at 7:09 am

What is he really doubting though, the fact that her mother knew her father was raping her, the fact that her father’s wife also knew, what about the police the CCB the doctors and police who examined her, so much people knew about this woman’s plight, what are you doubting sir.
      Many reasons persons would not come out to say they were rape, is because of people like you and the persons who are supposed to be protecting them that rape them all over again.
      This is not the first time I heard this.

• harry turnover October 18, 2017 at 8:35 am

“the fact that her father’s wife also knew, what about the police the CCB the doctors and police who examined her, SO MUCH people knew about this woman’s plight, what are you doubting sir.
        Ask yourself this question ….if SO MUCH people knew ..WHY ARE SO MUCH PEOPLE NOT DOING ANYTHING ?

• harry turnover October 18, 2017 at 8:28 am

Yes E.Jerome Davis…mine is showing up too.

12. Linda Muir
    Linda Muir October 17, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Where is the justice for the victim!!! I am appalled with the handling of this case by those who are sworn to uphold the law. Simply disgusting.

13. Jai Khan
    Jai Khan October 17, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Alicia Bailey, I feel so hurt for all that you’ve experienced and I hope that your strength will serve as a guiding light for all persons who are experiencing sexual abuse.
    The mother in me wishes that I could peel the skin off of any animal who could hurt a child in the ways you have been hurt.

14. Fay Gaskin
    Fay Gaskin October 17, 2017 at 11:20 pm

Brenda M. Earle , for your immediate attention.

15. Heather Woolfolk
    Heather Woolfolk October 17, 2017 at 11:21 pm

Evil people exist only when good people do not make the evil ones accountable. MLK, Jr. said “All it takes for evil to prosper, is for good men to do nothing at all.” Time to make the authorities responsible for doing the jobs that they were hired for.

16. CoCo Tee Jazz
    CoCo Tee Jazz October 17, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Let the truth be told #ibelieveyou

17. Deva-Alexandra DeBeauvois
    Deva-Alexandra DeBeauvois October 17, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Remarkably,brave woman.

18. Cheryl Armstrong
    Cheryl Armstrong October 17, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Alicia: Thanks for sharing your story. I am so sorry you lived that experience. In speaking your truth, you are giving young girls and boys the courage to share with a responsible adult if they are being abused. I am praying for you. I am standing with you.
    Sending love & blessings

19. Jai Khan
    Jai Khan October 17, 2017 at 11:27 pm

Not only males, Joy, there is depravity in the female gender as well. All children must be able to speak out when something is wrong, and I hope Alicia’s strength opens the ears and eyes of parents, guardians and responsible adults

20. Sharon Mayers
    Sharon Mayers October 17, 2017 at 11:27 pm

This story again

• Jai Khan
      Jai Khan October 17, 2017 at 11:40 pm

Let’s hope she never gets tired of speaking out

• Mia Colucci October 18, 2017 at 6:28 am

YES. THIS STORY AGAIN. The story should be told time and time again to highlight what’s going on in our society.

• Linda Freeman
      Linda Freeman October 18, 2017 at 7:05 am

Yes this story again and again and again….it needs to be heard…the abuse of children male/female happens almost daily on this island. Why try to sweep it under the carpet…I want her to never get tired of speaking her truth.

• Sharon Mayers
      Sharon Mayers October 18, 2017 at 9:10 am

God only you can help us ,do a quick work God , it’s not by might not by power but by your spirit , God just move by your spirit

• RANDY BRIDGEMAN October 18, 2017 at 3:08 pm

Amen.

21. Joy Wharton
    Joy Wharton October 17, 2017 at 11:30 pm

Jai Khan yes I know that, but the male has been the main perp of these atrocities. Let’s start some where !

22. Heather Woolfolk
    Heather Woolfolk October 17, 2017 at 11:31 pm

Jai Khan Sometimes it is not possible for the child to speak out when the abuser is also the individual on whom the child is dependent upon.

23. Joy Wharton
    Joy Wharton October 17, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Heather Woolfolk until serious action is taken against this type of crime, it won’t be taken seriously! Too many stories out there.

24. Honest October 17, 2017 at 11:53 pm

I know her. I’m sure that she was in Teen Talent with me years ago. A lovely girl, she was always shy and withdrawn, very soft-spoken but polite. I recall her saying that she was a christian.
    And, for those of you asking how come she was assaulted so often-especially as an adult? Well, I will say that the perpetrators know exactly who to mess around. They feel that energy instantly. They know the soft ones. The ones who would never be believed. The ones with low self-esteem and the ones from broken families.

25. Nikolai Gibson
    Nikolai Gibson October 18, 2017 at 12:35 am

The movie Law Abiding Citizen comes to my mind.

26. Katrina Sobers
    Katrina Sobers October 18, 2017 at 1:03 am

At least she had the courage to speak up. I believe every bit of what she said because that is why some sexual assault victims don’t come forward to report the crime, and because of the people who have sworn to protect them don’t believe them and they judge the victim. Sexual assault is sexual assault whether your sexually active or not something must be done.

• Gillian Skeete
      Gillian Skeete October 18, 2017 at 7:37 am

At four years old! Omg the father an animal and predator and should be castrated! It I miracle she didn’t die from being raped. I hope she stays strong for herself and others.

• Katrina Sobers
      Katrina Sobers October 18, 2017 at 8:59 am

Yep and continue to speak out

27. Ossie Moore October 18, 2017 at 1:05 am

Questions :

(1) Where is her dad is he dead or still alive ?

(2) Is she willing to give the names of the Law enforcement and Medical persons involved ?

28. Sonnie Leawat
    Sonnie Leawat October 18, 2017 at 1:52 am

Sharon Mayers you are an idiot

29. David Edghill
    David Edghill October 18, 2017 at 1:53 am

Bless, you Alicia Baliey. How many times, will de legal system take no action….

30. Charmaine Williams
    Charmaine Williams October 18, 2017 at 2:04 am

These bajan men are wicked but trust god to get over.they have to get on a woman in order to give her something. They have no morals values and how to treat a woman that is why I stay for from them.

• Jade Clarke
      Jade Clarke October 18, 2017 at 6:30 am

Please tell me you aren’t demonizing Bajan men

• harry turnover October 18, 2017 at 7:00 am

So why should a man GIVE A WOMAN ANYTHING ? why should a man PAY for getting on a woman ? and why can’t a woman pay the man for laying down under him
      Woman ….you full a SH8.

• Sherlock Holmes. October 18, 2017 at 11:56 am

You sounding like you are from Lesbania, Charmaine why are you casting all men in this vein? Were you treated in this way? You seem to be very bitter i empathise with the author of this sordid story and i hope she eventually will find the strength and courage to forgive the offending parties and ensure that the cycle does repeat itself with her offspring.

• harry turnover October 18, 2017 at 5:54 pm

….and the women en wicked too ? getting money from 2 or more fathers for one child and after 18 years telling them that neither of them is the fadda.
      Why ya painting all men wid de same brush dough ? a man horned ya or wha ?

31. ~ Coreen October 18, 2017 at 2:08 am

May God continue to give you the strength to speak out, to be the voice for many others who are afraid, and may positive changes in the judicial system come about as a result of your story. It’s awfully horrid all that’s happened to you. Know that you are empowering others already. A very strong woman you are, don’t ever doubt that

32. luther thorne October 18, 2017 at 2:52 am

The main thing that bothers me is the reported responses bythe publicly employed and paid from the Public purse public officials. Barbados has some of the most unprofessional Public Servants in the world. Unmannerly and insensitive comments almost always emanate from their lips when dealing with ordinary Barbadians. Some Public servants are just given a job , facilitated by Politicians a lot of the time and some public officers are not suited for the roles that they are supposed to perform especially if they are charged with the responsibility of dealing with members of the public. Many Public Officers are not properly trained for the jobs that they do. Many Public Officers are just thrown into a job for which they do not have the temperanent and are just there to draw a salary and furthermore they will say that they do not care about nothing or no one as long as they get their money on pay day. Most of them are untrained and unfit for the job. I am not opposed to people getting work but there needs to be a school or some facility for training Public Officers before or immediately after they join the service. This training can take place after the person is employed during an Induction phase and should be continous. The performance of some public officers is not good and the Goverment needs to seek to seriously correct the problem. It begs the question as to what is happening with NISE and with Public Sector Reform. What I dislike is that you interact with a public Officer in some office and that person gives you erroneous information whic can affect your dealings with such office. Sometimes you cannot taks their word. Another thing is that a person might have your file on some issue year after year dealing with some matter or the other with you not knowing that such officer in question does not really know what he or she is doing. You need sometimes to check with someone else or not the first person could keep you back for years. The Public Service in Barbados needs to function better. We need a better Public Service. Personnel Administration Division should be scrapped and replace by a proper functioning entity free from political interference.

33. Epaphras D. Williams
    Epaphras D. Williams October 18, 2017 at 2:54 am

The secret sins of small societies. The hush of the church, the mosque, the frats, the neighbours, the school. The fear of a stain on the family name. The smut, the rut, the unhealed cut, then along comes Thomas to doubt, Peter to deny, Judas to betray and the fearful to run away from the light-bringer. Let there be a special hell for those who knew the truth but did not tell…

34. Shonel Kingston
    Shonel Kingston October 18, 2017 at 4:46 am

#Metoo

35. Amy Heffernan
    Amy Heffernan October 18, 2017 at 4:57 am

Me too.

36. Kathleen Cadogan
    Kathleen Cadogan October 18, 2017 at 5:14 am

Our God is awesome.

37. Anton Brown
    Anton Brown October 18, 2017 at 5:27 am

Reading this story should anger anyone and should also be a blue print to many things which needs to change. First we all need to take better responsibility of those entrusted to our care and really begin to excercise sound judgement. The mother being a raped victim herself by her father should have never under any circumstance allowed her young child to be in this man’s presence. Seriously? If you know what a person is capable of and their history, why put an innocent in reach of such a beast, then ask later if the beast hurt you? Someone please explain to me the rationale by which the mother used. Next, if both the doctors and police confirm a child was rape, what kind of court disregard such evidence, eapically when dealing with a child? As far as I am concern from
    The mother, to the father, to the judge all need to Ben lock in jail. Each one are just as guilty as the other by cause and affect. What we have here is a dominoe effect of what happens when we all turn blind eye and neglect to do the job given to us.
    What I will say, is this young lady is brave and forgiven and yes that is Gods work and her character to be able to continue. Mother should have never put her in a situation by which she already New the outcome.

38. Kathyann Best
    Kathyann Best October 18, 2017 at 5:38 am

This makes me sooo angry!

39. jrsmith October 18, 2017 at 5:49 am

To this young lady hail, hail and she is very brave , I have a lady friend in the UK who was raped by her father and uncle , but she thought being black and in the UK no one would listen , but both her father and uncle served prison sentences for what they did to her ………..
    Across the christian world this evil exists , because the people who is put in authority to protect and enforced the laws ,are the ones who is breaking the same laws and getting away with it….they are all at it ….. evil, evil , people who cannot be trusted..

40. Cat Rock
    Cat Rock October 18, 2017 at 5:52 am

This story is everything wrong with the judiciary system and the disregard for child safeguarding

41. Kim Smith
    Kim Smith October 18, 2017 at 6:16 am

The voice for many women in Barbados , keep it up Alica . Another person our child care board has fail,rape at ten and case drop hmmm

42. Gail-Selina S. Hewitt-Clarke
    Gail-Selina S. Hewitt-Clarke October 18, 2017 at 6:19 am

What happens now? The judges, police & others are listening to this, so how does the lady and others who have been abused get justice?!

43. Michelle Griffith
    Michelle Griffith October 18, 2017 at 6:26 am

Not only was she raped by the father and her family members, the people who were supposed to protect her her “raped” her as well, that is the police and the CCB, there is little justice in Barbados for a rape victim.

44. Mia Colucci October 18, 2017 at 6:26 am

Victims don’t come forward because of disgusting people like E Jerome Davis and Sharon Mayers. I’m GLAD that this young lady found the courage to speak up and speak out. And I pray that she will continue to fight and somehow inspire change in this twisted society.

45. Pat Codrington
    Pat Codrington October 18, 2017 at 6:26 am

Her story is the story of a lot of women and girls in Barbados. Stay strong as so many more had to.

46. Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
    Lady-Stylez Pilgrim October 18, 2017 at 6:29 am

Alicia ‘s story is one of many. She has been speaking out for a while. More should speak out but it’s harder said than done….

47. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor October 18, 2017 at 6:31 am

I wonder what d person wid d deadbeat moms page have to say….. We the mothers have to protect our children, this childs mother would let her stay with her dad although she was begotten through rape… What did the oh-so-upstanding member of society do? Sexually abuse his own daughter…. Damn… The mother thought he had changed…He was married, what did the dutiful wife do, convince the child to drop the case…. I hope d wife had girl children also….This woman has been to hell and back, but she has stayed strong! I hope dat d igrant “hooman” beings that know her don’t stigmatise or penalize her for her story… And I also want to thank her for sharing with the court system and hope that they did listen and her repeating of her painful encounters did not fall on death ears! May she see her blessings from now onwards….

48. Bajanne1 October 18, 2017 at 6:53 am

She should have killed him when she was old enough and plead a case of insanity and grief. As for his wife, she too should suffer the same fate. Rape is mental death to its victims, who seem to have no rights, no fair legal recourse, then the earth and rest of us should be free of such scourges; which leads to my conclusion. Rid the earth of such scum, who wreak a lifetime of mental and sometimes physical havoc on innocent children..PERMANENTLY! There was so much judgement being passed by officials who should be the very ones to help and be a rock of salvation. This is precisely why so many victims remain in the dark; why so many women we see each day are damaged physically and mentally. Sad sad for us as a nation and a people.

49. Tony Webster October 18, 2017 at 6:58 am

These guidelines are most welcome.
    Lord, please include an “implementation guarantee”.

50. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner October 18, 2017 at 7:01 am

Why is anyone surprise to hear this because this is just a way of life with the so call justice system and until I see some serious results instead of talk from politicians/AG/CJ and the slow snail pace justice system not gine believe nothing gine change.

51. Sheron Inniss October 18, 2017 at 7:01 am

That is why when I hear these people saying rape victims should bring the child if pregnancy occurs I go steupse.

52. Dorrel Haynes
    Dorrel Haynes October 18, 2017 at 7:02 am

Respect to this young woman for having the courage to speak out.
    Unfortunately this is still happening in black communities around the world and they are not being believed and protected by those who should protect them, the justice system included.

53. Sharon Taylor
    Sharon Taylor October 18, 2017 at 7:06 am

What about the daddy’s wife? D motherharlot? I hope d motherharlot see my comment about her!

54. Mazie Taylor
    Mazie Taylor October 18, 2017 at 7:11 am

This woman’s life of abuse is sad and just one of many a lot of evil men and women are guilty of this and they think that t get away from punishment but you haven’t seen the end of it ,vengeance belongs to God He will repay ,You will see…sometimes when the old people are seen rejected by the family and alone we cry out and say why would this happen ?Why evil did they do in their sinful younger years and are now suffering…Pay back ,karma ,justice??? You decide but evil deeds will not go unpunished even when you got away from the jail time you deserve.Shameful and sad .God bless this woman and heal her pain.Speak out!

55. Cheryl Carter
    Cheryl Carter October 18, 2017 at 7:15 am

You have had it rough and I trust that despite the legal system failing you that God will continue to give you the strength to endure. It is amazing how the partners of the men who rape always seems to turn a blind eye. There are signs. Her dad and the other predators are paedophiles. Our society is rife with them. Please expose and prosecute them as this heinous crime has been going for years unchecked and continues even now.

56. Vashti Brathwaite
    Vashti Brathwaite October 18, 2017 at 7:20 am

This is a sad reflection of our society. It has been going on for ever and it is still happening. I applaud your strength and courage. I wish many more had the courage to do the same.
    I also look forward to the day when these low life bottom feeders will pay .
    We need to remember that not only females go through this but, males as well.

57. Mahalia Francis October 18, 2017 at 7:33 am

Child sexual abuse is horrific, it robs the child at an early age of being able to trust. This lady was abused from that stage in her life where she would have learned “Trust versus Mistrust.” What followed that throughout the years was the blatant abuse and disrespect for her by her father. Even as a teenager, he continued to abused her. Please don’t blame the victim, she was a child back then when the atrocious acts occurred against her by everyone who had a part in the abused, which included family members, friends and the “Child Welfare System” that failed at protecting the child in her during those vulnerable years as a child. What happened from then to now, is that this young lady is remarkable, athough her experiences as a child could have limited her intellectual development, she persevered and as a young lady, she is able to tell her story of the horrific acts committed against her as a child. Please everyone, respect the truth and her story because these kinds of deplorable and abusive acts of child physical and sexual abuse is still occuring as we debate what really happened in this case. Stop the covering up of abusive acts committed against our children, if you see something, say something. Don’t keep silent, the next victim could be your family member. The Childcare Board and the law enforcement personnel need to be train in the handling of these kind of cases appropriately, so they can be effective in solving and protecting our vulnerable populations. Time to heal the nation, it takes a village to raise a child.

58. Amber Nicole
    Amber Nicole October 18, 2017 at 7:35 am

Hmmmm and many more like you are suffering in silence. Good to take your power back….well done…many victims are crippled especially due to some retarded ideologies…and sooo it continues…

59. Yvette Fenty
    Yvette Fenty October 18, 2017 at 7:42 am

That is so horrible and such a beautiful woman inside n out…u can’t help but want to be in her presence. ..I have known of a judge being told that a young girl was abused by a step father n her response was get family counselling….they don’t take these things serious enough….the judicial system n all of those need to step up

60. Barbara Ifill October 18, 2017 at 7:55 am

I am trying to breathe…. those who feels it knows…… those of us who can relate……. JUSTICE WILL BE SERVED.

61. Maggs Bishop
    Maggs Bishop October 18, 2017 at 8:00 am

So sad

62. Sam Clarke October 18, 2017 at 8:03 am

Ms. Bailey,
    I am so proud of you for shining a light on the way women are treated by the legal system whenever they report sexual misconduct.
    What you and plenty others in Barbados continue to go through, ashamed of being blamed for something that others have done to you is mind boggling.
    We have a society that is so judgemental, who would rather swept it under the rugs, because it is a family member or family friend.
    What you have just done, is monumental, not only in Barbados, but the entire Caribbean.
    The amount of incest that is occurring in theses countries, are enormous.
    Your speaking out about these crimes, i hope will shake up the legal system, do not allow them to only pay lip service to these issues for a couple of hours.
    The people must keep on fighting, stay strong and keep speaking truth to power.

63. Cheryl Scantlebury October 18, 2017 at 8:03 am

This is just one of many reported cases and that’s why so many women and men don’t come forward to report cases. I hope that person’s are trained to deal with cases and this Avenue would be accepted. It takes too long for cases to be tried, meanwhile the victim is suffering.
    So many persons have been crying out for help for a long time. When will help arrive for both perpetrators and victims. Victims continue to hurt. Perpetrators continue to hurt others and hurting people hurt, hurting people hurt others

64. Pamela Johnson
    Pamela Johnson October 18, 2017 at 8:06 am

You are a strong and courageous woman. Thank you for sharing your story.

65. kathy-Ann Clarke October 18, 2017 at 8:21 am

I am sorry to hear about this, but it’s reality and she is not the only one. I can bet there are several more out there like her, who needs to speak up, but after all this time,the abuser may not even get charged. But Alicia, God is not sleeping, all those wicked demonic evils who came up against you, they have to answer to God. How can a child crying out for help , and no one notices, or even try to follow up? Even her dad’s wife, she probaly was in the marriage for money, there is no way, that she should’ve responded like that, she should at least follow up and watch her husbands movements. My God, this story give me goose pimples.

66. Maureen Smith
    Maureen Smith October 18, 2017 at 8:22 am

Happy for you to get the courage to say this.blessings

67. Toni Gomes
    Toni Gomes October 18, 2017 at 8:57 am

What a brave woman.

68. Kirt Shango
    Kirt Shango October 18, 2017 at 9:13 am

All I can say is that she is a strong young lady. When people take justice in their own hands you know why. The real Judge would know the reason……..

69. Audrey Worrell
    Audrey Worrell October 18, 2017 at 9:16 am

that s so sad when he should be the one you should be able to trust

70. Donild Trimp October 18, 2017 at 9:26 am

@ Sharon Mayers –

Sharon Mayers
    October 17, 2017 at 11:27 pm
    “This story again”

I have seen all types of ignorant responses to a number of articles on this forum but this one from you Sharon Mayers, takes the cake.

I will hazard a guess that you were raped and that you were sexually abused in the past and that you are still being raped and still being sexually abused and that you love every minute of it.

How else can one explain your insensitive ignorant response to this sickening story?

71. Pbdos Ciana Price
    Pbdos Ciana Price October 18, 2017 at 9:45 am

Call his name and address out for the whole world to see and that wife of his too that asked you drop the charges. I wonder if she has girl children of her own

72. Celia Harding
    Celia Harding October 18, 2017 at 10:06 am

Any man that can do this to his daughter is evil and sick. Parents are there to love and protect their children.

73. Thunder October 18, 2017 at 10:12 am

This is why victims of abuse don’t speak out,because of the negative things people will say,however she finally got the courage to speak out,and she should be commended.
    People don’t seem to understand that once you become accustomed to being abuse it sets up opportunity for further abuse to occur,and there is a reason why she was being targeted, this is why these abusers should be condemned not her.
    Alicia Bailey was being raped,from as early as 4 where is the compassion,for what she went through? It seems like some people are implying she could have stopped the abuse,she is not a mind reader, or a psychic you can’t predict when abuse will take place.
    Let us all show more sensitivity to those have been abused,they need our support not our condemnation.

74. Ossie Moore October 18, 2017 at 11:05 am

Donild Trimp you are perfectly right Sir , usually we don’t agree on everything . . . .which is great but I have to agree with you that Sharon Mayers is an ignorant person.

Sharon Mayers claims on her facebook page that she is a person of God but this only goes to show how many of the so called BIBLE CLUTCHING , Religious HOLY ROLLERS running around in Barbados are just plain HYPOCRITES.

Obviously there is something wrong with Sharon Mayers probably like you said was were raped and was sexually abused in the past and is still being raped and still being sexually abused ( by some Religious person ) and is loving every minute of it. . . . . I don’t know.

Also like you said Donild how else can one explain their insensitive ignorant response to this sickening story . . . . . .. especially after posting messages like the one below on their facebook page ?

Sharon Mayers says on her facebook page :

” God is fixing the broken pieces of your life. Get ready for restoration. God is preparing you for everything you prayed for.
    AMEN.

Now if God is finally doing the things for the abused lady that Sharon predicted that God will do , then why is Sharon being a hypocrite ?

It very obvious to me that this evil thinking Religious Holy rolling , Bible clutching hypocrite Sharon is talking out of both sides of her mouth.

75. Ossie Moore October 18, 2017 at 11:08 am

Obviously there is something wrong with Sharon Mayers probably like you said she was raped and was sexually abused in the past and is still being raped and still being sexually abused ( by some Religious person ) and is loving every minute of it. . . . . I don’t know.

Sharon Mayers says on her facebook page :

AMEN.

76. Vad50 October 18, 2017 at 12:37 pm

This is so sad, and my heart goes out to that young woman. The family members who had her withdraw her case should be charged; because she was a minor. There are other young people in Barbados are experiencing the same type of treatment, hopefully, they have the courage to speak out with this law. But nurses, doctors, police office and those at the Child Care Board will need special training when dealing with children, be it girls or boys, and women who have been sexually abuse. I trust they will now have a registry with this law, and they be listed as paedophiles. To think that no one cared about her pain and suffering.

77. luther thorne October 18, 2017 at 2:36 pm

Sharon Mayers on Facebpok ? No wonder her comments. Some people turn into insensitive morons when they go on Facebook. Are you sure that Facebook is safe from manipulating people’ s minds ? Something is going on on Facebook. People turn into something other than human on that Social Medis platform. Wunna see how the Russians used it to affect the Elections in
    ‘Amurica’ ?

78. Whitehill October 18, 2017 at 6:07 pm

@ E. Jerome Davis, these angry black women will get at you and any one who gets in their way on their March to crush the black man. This woman’s tale if truth should forever change the way we do business in Barbados, however, no one, in particular women and children can’t just be given carte blanche in these matters.
    History is replete with countless instances of men being persicuted simply because a female cried rape. There is this orginazation in the USA with the help of DNA got many men out of prison on trumped up raped charges.
    Many black men were lynched because white women fooped someone else and put the blame on the black fool.
    Moving away from rape and sexual assaults, this white woman, Susan Smith pushed her car and two kids into a river and blamed it on a black man. For a time they were ready to lych every black male in the USA. These fools, angry bitter black women who now want to Lynch you because of your stance, trust me. They all have an agenda.

79. Jo-Anne Nicholls October 18, 2017 at 6:26 pm

I am hurt by this story an equally so by some of the responses. Way to go young lady, you were down but you didn’t give up. I’m so proud of you for your strength and bravery to speak out.

80. Barbara Blakely October 18, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Hi Ali
    I hope your coming out about this travesty brings you the peace that you deserve. You are always in our thoughts….
    Barbara and Peter

81. Jennifer October 18, 2017 at 8:05 pm

SCUM – All the lot.

82. Maria October 18, 2017 at 8:34 pm

One of my school mates killed herself at 14 when her father abused her. He was never arrested. I still remember her to this day. We must stop blaming the victims.

83. barbara ifill October 19, 2017 at 5:30 am

Took my breath away…. literally… let’s prayer for these victims and we as a family must do our up most best to protect our children. God’s Blessings on you sister, be strong.

84. Deb Brath October 19, 2017 at 12:12 pm

It is very sad to hear what this young lady went through, but it is reality in Barbados and many other countries. I cannot get the rational why her mom knew her Dad was a rapist and still allowed her to visit him unaccompanied and for any length of time. Anyway this happens and still is happening in Barbados to this day. I know of friends whose fathers rape all the sisters and nothing was ever done or he was never reported. I had a niece whose father was sexually molesting her from the time she was three years, I called the child care board many times and they would not respond. Only when I went to the Nation News paper they came, but nothing came out of it. I know of a man that is 60 years old, from primary school the male teacher used to sexually assaulted him. Sometime we wonder why some females rebel, become prostitutues, cannot say no to men when it comes to sex, or males turn gay , most of the time is only what they know from young and feel it is right until they receive conselling . By the time some are discover it is to late for everything. Barbados laws, and judicial system want revamping and cleaning up greatly. Most of those workers at the child care board are hopeless and unprofessional, not only there but it other government offices that many of them just work for thev money. I hope this give voice to other individuals who are going through this. She should publicize the name of her perprators, so that others can be on the alert when they see them in a compromised position with females or males.

85. Canvoda Cummins October 20, 2017 at 8:33 am

I applaud you for having the strength to come forward and speak out about the injustice that we have to deal with .This system turns it and makes you to be the offender and not the victim reason why so many women don’t come forward and why so many rape cases are dropped .