Plug pulled on plans to host Dominican students at BCC

Plans for the Barbados Community College (BCC) to accept close to 50 students from storm-ravaged Dominica have been abruptly scrapped.

Minister of Education Ronald Jones told Barbados TODAY this afternoon that his ministry had been informed by the Dominican authorities that the arrangement for the students, following the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria last month, was no longer necessary.

Jones said he was not given a reason by the Dominican authorities for cancelling the programme mid-way into final arrangements for their accommodation.

However, he speculated that efforts to restore that island’s learning institutions could be proceeding better than initially anticipated.

“I would hope that they are getting their education programme up and running shortly but I don’t know. Obviously they would be concentrating on doing that and I would be very happy for the students because this was a general outreach to 50 of them. There would have been cost associated moving people back and forth. Giving them a stipend would have been cost as well, but a lot of that was covered. But I am not sure why the other end brought it to a halt,” said Jones, who only two weeks ago was quite upbeat about final arrangements to accommodate the third-year students.

“It would allow our people here to concentrate on other issues within the tertiary level system. It was an outreach on our behalf but as I said there might have been some improvements on the ground situation there because it has almost been five weeks since Maria impacted the island. I know that more than 20 of the primary schools in Dominica, based on my conversation with their minister of education [Petter St Jean], are in workable condition. So most primary school children should be back in the classroom. Those other improvements all around could have caused Dominica to no longer go that route,” he stressed.

The minster insisted that Barbados was committed to assisting Dominica where possible, stressing that Dominican students already attending school here were free to continue their education.

“Those parents and students who already took the opportunity to be here would not be impacted. This was strictly a tertiary level to tertiary level initiative, so it would not affect any primary or secondary school children who are already here. They are not in any large numbers, but we have accommodated them,” Jones said.

11 Responses to Plug pulled on plans to host Dominican students at BCC

  1. Paulette Noel
    Paulette Noel October 17, 2017 at 4:51 am

    Ppl are not stupid mr minister .But just remember it could have been we that needed the help too.

    Reply
    • Wayne P Hoyte
      Wayne P Hoyte October 17, 2017 at 5:10 am

      Please read the story again

      Reply
    • Mark My Word October 17, 2017 at 7:20 am

      Poor Paulette, Educated but no common sense.

      Reply
      • Belfast October 17, 2017 at 6:03 pm

        Good old Bajan!

        Reply
  2. Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
    Lady-Stylez Pilgrim October 17, 2017 at 5:57 am

    Marie Jose AW

    Reply
  3. Stell Alleyne
    Stell Alleyne October 17, 2017 at 6:59 am

    Some ppl just love to comment ignorance…the Minister said clearly it was the prim. Of Dominica that pulled the plug…yet nonsense is written here “about ppl ain’t foolish etc…the Dominicans knows that Barbados have good intentions for them that they LEADER couldn’t help but acknowledged that fact… Dominica is recovering to a point that they can move on to a normal living…and we should be happy so that this extra burden would be taken off this country…. but instead you Paulette Noel so blinded by your polictical feelings can’t even see clearly what is being said..if your comments were be taken as facts then you would have caused war between these two countries…you ppl need to think before you speak..NONSENSE

    Reply
    • Keisha Weekes
      Keisha Weekes October 17, 2017 at 7:53 am

      They dont read the articles they just comment on the headlines….smh

      Reply
  4. Eddy Murray
    Eddy Murray October 17, 2017 at 10:01 am

    Mr. it was to much long talk and paper work, like all the other things that happening in the country. Got a better

    Reply
    • Wendy Knight
      Wendy Knight October 17, 2017 at 11:00 am

      Why did the prim of Dominica pull the plug? That is the question?

      Reply
    • Eddy Murray
      Eddy Murray October 17, 2017 at 11:04 am

      Wendy Knight as I said to much paper work and long talk. You and I know that other country took children a week of the the hurricane strike.

      Reply
  5. Patrick October 17, 2017 at 10:58 am

    Think she is being political; those people are the ones that need help

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *