PSV driver found guilty of serious indecency

A St Michael man, found guilty of serious indecency against a 19-year-old, lost his freedom today.

Madam Justice Jacqueline Cornelius issued the order after a jury returned “a majority verdict” against George Lamar McLawrence of 7th Avenue, Skeete’s Road, The Ivy, in the No. 5 Supreme Court this afternoon after over two hours of deliberations.

“Ma’am I would like to object to that,” McLawrence said after Senior Crown Counsel Krystal Delaney made the application that his bail be revoked.

“I have been coming to the courts from since pretrial hearings and I have never once missed a court date . . . . I am employed at this point and [have to] take care of my two children and I believe that I should be granted bail once again,” he said.

However, Delaney argued that McLawrence had now been convicted of a “very serious offence” that carries up to ten years in prison.

She explained that his status had changed as he was now convicted and it was on that basis that the Crown objected to bail.

Justice Cornelius agreed with the prosecution saying the charge was very serious and one for which McLawrence was “likely to have a substantial term of imprisonment”.

McLawrence had denied committing the act on the teen on September 28, 2008.

However, when the young man gave his evidence in court recently he said he left Sheraton Mall around 9 p.m. that Saturday night and took a van to Bridgetown.

Six people, he explained, disembarked the vehicle and when he was about to do so the driver told him he would take him home.

After several stops, he said McLawrence took him to The Belle, St Michael where he was ordered to remove his pants and underwear. When he refused, the teen said McLawrence put a scissors to his neck and touched his penis for about “a minute or so” and when he tried to do more, pushed him away.

That action, he said, caused the driver to apply more pressure with the scissors, causing him to become fearful. The teen also admitted that at that point he started to cry and was told to put back on his clothes. McLawrence took him home about 3 a.m. the following day.

His mother, who gave evidence, told the judge her son was always “slow” and on that day, she kept looking at the clock and through the window, as he was not in the habit of coming home at that time.

The mother said her son was “irritated” when he arrived and when she asked him what was the matter he told her he was “kidnapped by a van” and all the other details. She contacted the police.

Yesterday in court McLawrence told the jury he “never did” any of the things of which he was accused.

“The complainant said I offered to take him home, which I never did. He said I took him to The Belle . . . . He said I told him to take off his underwear and pants [and] with him failing to do such that I threatened him. I never did. This event never took place. I never did . . . commit the crime,” the public service vehicle driver said.

Today, seven members of the nine-person jury disagreed and found him guilty of the offence.

“Ma’am is it possible that I can appeal the verdict,” McLawrence asked, to which the judge said he could, but first he had to be sentenced.

She then ordered a pre-sentencing report into his life and adjourned the case until November 26.

16 Responses to PSV driver found guilty of serious indecency

1. Jennifer October 6, 2017 at 3:44 am

Disgusting.

2. Richard Johnston October 6, 2017 at 7:22 am

Pretty flimsy evidence. He said / he said.

3. Cecil Goddard October 6, 2017 at 7:30 am

These Scumbags need to be locked away for ever.

• Leroy October 6, 2017 at 11:48 am

Evidence?

4. Alex Alleyne October 6, 2017 at 7:35 am

Such fellas must remove the idea from their mind that “all delivers in the rear”.

5. Alex Alleyne October 6, 2017 at 8:48 am

Listen GUY, you drive a PSV , not a “GOODS TRUCK”. Wid one of them you are told “all deliveries in the rear”.

6. straight talk October 6, 2017 at 9:06 am

Nasty brut, lock he to fu#@k up for a long time

• Leroy October 6, 2017 at 11:48 am

Evidence?

7. HardBall October 6, 2017 at 9:35 am

Get this piece of crap off the streets.
    Someone at Dodds will tell you to take you clothes off with out a scissors, and you will not go home at three.

• Leroy October 6, 2017 at 11:48 am

Evidence?

8. Bajan October 6, 2017 at 12:05 pm

This is one of the biggest secrets in Bim. Some PSV workers involved in sexual activities with school boys and young men. Guarantee this evening somebody boy children will be somewhere alone doing something with one these predators. If your son, nephew, cousin or neighbour keeps coming home late or getting drop home or special pick up by his PSV ‘friend’, start asking questions? Parents and Guardians, it’s not a rumour. It’s not a joke. It’s not a theory. It’s SOLID TRUTH!

9. Saga Boy October 6, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Yah mean even males ain’t safe with these drivers?

10. Belfast October 6, 2017 at 1:45 pm

And these are the type of men that are willing ‘shotters’ to many young girls as well

11. Carlisle norville October 6, 2017 at 2:57 pm

You all can talk whatever you feel like, so let me tell you all what I feel like, that Son of a B***h is he is guilty, should be sought out & have his C**k cut off, & I really mean that( all Bajans do is talk, talk & act like mice. if I had, 4 trained men train like me to shoot, & train in martial arts ,I would form a Secret Service & travel all over Barbados & represent those who cant represent themselves.(I know many of you don’t like my boldness, But I ain’t NO P**y I STAND for what is right, & i believe that all real criminals, should be eliminated , that’s my STANCE weather you like it or not.dont tell me the police is there to take care of these criminals, cause de police force full of criminals,(i hope that with a commissioner now we will see the force getting clesn up & we get back to real policeing

12. Honest October 6, 2017 at 3:37 pm

If this is true, if he really committed this act, then he should pay. This is not good enough. We cannot allow these characters to walk the streets. Appalling, if found to be true.

13. Sam Clarke October 8, 2017 at 7:42 am

He is going to a place that he would not have to apply any force to accomplish his sexual proclivities.
    One more reason to put cameras on all vehicles involve in the transport of the public.