UPDATE: Thirteen-year-old boy dies in road accident

Police have released the name of the 13-year-old boy who died in an accident at Campaign Castle, St George yesterday.

He is Hanannia Arman Jagiel Reeves, a student of the Princess Margaret Secondary School.

According to police, Reeves was struck by a car driven by 59-year-old David Ash of Thorpes, St James. The accident occurred around 6:45 p.m.

Lawmen say preliminary investigations suggest that the victim disembarked a minibus and was attempting to cross the road in front of the minibus when he was struck by the car being driven by Ash, who was overtaking the minibus.

Reeves was rushed to the state-run Queen Elizabeth Hospital but later succumbed to his injuries.

Police are continuing investigations.

The number of road deaths so far this year is 19, almost double the total for 2016.

23 Responses to UPDATE: Thirteen-year-old boy dies in road accident

1. Amelia Gittens
    Amelia Gittens October 4, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Oh so sad and so often this is happening please every one I beg of you do not cross the road behind or in front of no vehicle as a driver sometimes its very difficult, wait until the coast is clear and you have a perfect view of both sides then cross, also I want the bus drivers to stop letting ppl cross behind or in front put off the passengers and you go.

2. Sazara Pewterschmidt
    Sazara Pewterschmidt October 4, 2017 at 12:22 pm

May u rest in perfect peace lil guy I pray ur parents and family find comfort in God in this very difficult time

3. Preciouz Peachez
    Preciouz Peachez October 4, 2017 at 12:34 pm

So heartbreaking and sad… Sleep In Peace little one and Rise in Glory.

4. Lineth Nanton Greenidge
    Lineth Nanton Greenidge October 4, 2017 at 12:39 pm

So sad I feel the parents pain may soul Rip and rise in glory

5. Rodderts October 4, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Sorry to hear of this young man’s death. I’ve heard the police say to don’t cross from in front or behind a bus but people do it everyday…we need to re educate all Bajans about this deadly practice especially in all schools

6. Joan Brome
    Joan Brome October 4, 2017 at 12:59 pm

All you tell ppl not to engage in this practise they would not listen. I’m so sorry this had to happen to this lad. So sad.

7. Angela Thompson Branch
    Angela Thompson Branch October 4, 2017 at 1:17 pm

Sad condolences to your family and friends

8. Carl Babb
    Carl Babb October 4, 2017 at 1:19 pm

Rip kid

9. Gale-gracie Gits
    Gale-gracie Gits October 4, 2017 at 2:15 pm

So sad may his soul rest in peace

10. Cecilia Carew
    Cecilia Carew October 4, 2017 at 2:17 pm

This broke my heart !So saddened by it .His family ,the driver’s family …

11. Helicopter(8P) October 4, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Parental Guidance !! Teach your children not to cross the road in blind spots! It saves their lives mostly!

12. Vashti Brathwaite
    Vashti Brathwaite October 4, 2017 at 3:14 pm

My deepest , heartfelt condolences to his family . Such a sad loss that did not have to be.
    These ridiculous drivers need to wait when they see a PSV stopped.
    That area where that child was struck, is dark and not lighted ,all he had to was to wait until the van moved off, but I guess he was in a hurry to get in front of it ,because most drivers hate being stuck behind one if those vehicles.

13. Thunder October 4, 2017 at 4:21 pm

Crossing the road in front or behind a vehicle is very dangerous, but what makes it worse are drivers who do not look out for pedestrians who are trying to cross the road,my heart breaks for this family,I offer my prayers during this very trying time,and extend my condolences to the family as well.

14. harry turnover October 4, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Most of these mimi bus drivers drive slowly,in the middle of the road and stop in the middle of the road to take up or let off passengers and when drivers see the opportunities to overtake them they are going to do it.
    However,it was unfortunate that a child was crossing in front of the minibus at the same time.
    Some drivers stop at zebra crossings to let off passengers who end up crossing,but it is a zebra crossing so traffic behind have no option but to wait also most of them put on their right indicator when they stop to give others behind the impression that they are about to move off but most drivers know by now that is only a stunt and overtake anyhow

15. John Everatt October 4, 2017 at 6:29 pm

In the interest of road safety in the future this is something that can be taught in schools. For instance, in North America every school kid knows that you do not cross the road in front of a school bus or any other bus. You wait until the bus has left and you can clearly see both ways before crossing. Perhaps the school system could teach this to the children so that they know here in Barbados or at least the parents could teach the kids this.

16. Julilicious October 4, 2017 at 6:30 pm

Drivers please be aware and have patience
    As a driver when ever I see a bus or PSV stop I always look to expect the unexpected
    There always someone attempting to cross the road

17. Rosalinda Allyene
    Rosalinda Allyene October 4, 2017 at 7:27 pm

Rip

18. Lionel Gittens
    Lionel Gittens October 4, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Speak to your kids about embarking from these mini buses or any bus. I knew a yute who was very close to me lost his life doing the same thing. Many of them also catch the mini buses unknown to their parents.

19. Sherlock Holmes. October 4, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Even though the practice of crossing the road masked by a vehicle is wrong, i as a driver always exercise caution as soon as i see any public transport vehicle come to a stop. I am always cognizant that someone might be attempting to cross the road in front of the vehicle some of these drivers are always in too much hurry and waiting awhile will more than often save lives. I cannot imagine how that boy’s parents feel and my condolences and sympathies goes out to them i cannot imagine my self being too kind to an offending driver in such a circumstance so i always try to be very cautious by placing myself in the position of a parent having to experience such. Operators of motor vehicles please use common sense and instead of being in a hurry to overtake wait and save time and lives.

20. Lionel Gittens
    Lionel Gittens October 4, 2017 at 8:50 pm

As someone said before people are always anxious to get past these mini buses. I myself don’t like to drive behind them. May the yute RIP.

21. J Nurse October 4, 2017 at 9:43 pm

I was so sorry to hear of this young boy’s death. May God comfort his family. I want to take this opportunity to ask minobus drivers to cease a practice that is very dangerous. Many times on the Bridgetown/Speightstown route that I travel, I drive behind minibuses that stop at bus stops and the driver extends his hand as though someone is crossing but no one does. As a driver behind I am always too afraid to overtake because I don’t know if the one time I do overtake will be the one time someone is actually crossing. Often vehicles behind me blow and then overtake me and the mini bus. This is something that mini bus drivers should cease immediately because they are putting potential pedestrians crossing at risk. They also frustrate drivers who will then take chances that could lead to the death of an innocent person and cause the driver terrible guilt.

22. Belfast October 4, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Condolences to the family. Pity though that a better photograph could not have been found.
    Did you see on the CBC News how CBC crew hounded the family in their grief and mourning to provide them with a scoop?
    Yet still during the passage of Harvey when another youth met his demise at Cattlewash, CBC was told by his friends and family -No Interview, No Photographs, and they readily complied. Wonder why?