New medical school opens

Last weekend, 17 student doctors donned their ceremonial white coats, marking not only their rite of passage into the profession of medicine, but also signifying them as the first group of students to enter the American University of Integrative Sciences (AUIS), School of Medicine at the campus’ new home in Barbados.

Founded in 1999, the AUIS was previously known as the University of Sint Eustatius School of Medicine, and was established on the island of Sint Eustatius by a group of medical school educators and administrators. In 2013, the school came under new ownership and management, International Educational Management Resources LLC, based in Atlanta Georgia and led by Managing Director Milo Pinckney and President Renu Agnihotri.

Speaking at the ribbon cutting ceremony to mark the official opening of the university’s Basic Sciences Facility, at #9, 5th Avenue, Belleville, St. Michael, Dr Edward Layne, a gastroenterologist and native of Barbados, provided the background of the AUIS’ move to Barbados.

Dr Layne, who served as the Honorary Consul for Barbados in Atlanta for the past 20 years before his retirement last December, was instrumental in paving the pathway for the institution’s move to Barbados.

“Two years ago, a young visionary entered my office, his name was Mr. Milo Pinckney. He said to me, ‘Dr. Layne, I am not a doctor but I am the son of a physician entrepreneur with Caribbean roots’. He said ‘I am a business man, who owns a medical school and have several patents in the field of medical technology’, and that in my opinion may be able to revolutionize the training of young doctors and the practice of medicine.”

He added that he was quite curious as Mr. Pinckney explained his interest in moving the university to Barbados and deploying a patented, medical information technology device called The Clinical Activity Rotation Log or CARL.

The device contains the templates for state-of-the-art training programmes that encompass traditional western medicine as well as the proven aspects of complementary and alternative medicine, now called CAM.

Admittedly impressed by what the young businessman had to say, Dr Layne saw it necessary to introduce him to the Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Senator Maxine McClean, while hosting the 4th biennial Barbados Comes to Atlanta event, in Atlanta, Georgia, in May 2016.

Sharing his perspective of the experience, Mr. Pinckney explained that when he met Senator McClean a year and a half ago, “in a moment’s notice” she saw the merit in what they presented when they proposed to move AUIS to Barbados.

“She embraced it with such vigour that she visited our offices in Atlanta to see first-hand what we were doing, and she said ‘I can get behind it’ and championed the move here…”

Highlighting Barbados’ literacy rate and the rank by the US Department of State as “one of the most politically transparent nations on the planet”, he believes Barbados has many unique qualities and presents tremendous opportunities for his institution.

Senator McClean admitted that while attending the Barbados Comes to Atlanta event, which is intended to engage Barbadians in the diaspora to explore opportunities, she was enthralled by the opportunity Mr. Pinckney had presented.

“I bought into the idea from the presentation, [which was] supported by a distinguished Barbadian in the form of Dr Layne, who himself has been a medical practitioner for many years, and would have been involved in the start-up of another medical institution.”

McClean added: “It is my hope that given the importance of medical training and the demand globally for medical training, that there will be opportunities for synergies to be forged between our traditional medical faculties at the University of the West Indies and the programmes offered by the American University of Integrated Sciences.”

Source: (BGIS)

11 Responses to New medical school opens

1. Blessed Bobb
    Blessed Bobb October 4, 2017 at 11:07 am

Is it me or are most of the people looking white or Indian?

• Mazie Taylor
      Mazie Taylor October 4, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Overseas students , black people welcome so don’t start If you can pay apply. Welcome to Barbados

• Katherine Zettler
      Katherine Zettler October 4, 2017 at 2:09 pm

are we looking at the same picture?

• Paul Gill
      Paul Gill October 4, 2017 at 3:14 pm

Somehow I think we are looking at a different picture.

• Blessed Bobb
      Blessed Bobb October 4, 2017 at 5:03 pm

I frankly start anything I want to my job is to speak out on behalf of those who are afraid to or can’t, welcome to Barbados!
      I encourage all black people who can afford it to apply,it will be very interesting to know the cost of this school is,fight my people to enter in!

• Mazie Taylor
      Mazie Taylor October 4, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Uwi is for our children Blessed Bobb but if they prefer they can apply. You can give the office a call to get the cost , btw this is good for Barbados so stop judging.We can’t afford to reject new business in our sad economic crisis.bless you Bobb

• Blessed Bobb
      Blessed Bobb October 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm

I’m sorry I was not judging,I simply spoke out about something that bothered me,so get accustomed no one fizzles me,yet the same UWI has made made it quite difficult for the poor to attend because of the D.L.P government,although hypocritical politicians were able to receive two degrees at a time when the university was more affordable, my beef is not with you,it is with systems that are put in place to suppress the poor and underprivileged.
      Thanks so much for the blessing,because anyone who know me will know when I get bless, my black people get bless,rise up my people!
      I will call because if the fees don’t suit me you will hear my voice again the time has come for my people to be heard!

2. Clive Walrond
    Clive Walrond October 4, 2017 at 3:34 pm

So how about nurses

3. Ziggy Blessed
    Ziggy Blessed October 4, 2017 at 4:07 pm

tekka i hear bout money laundering or body organ sales soon

4. lswiltshire October 4, 2017 at 4:27 pm

you can moderate till the RAPTURE

This article and my response ha been posted already – both locally and internationally.

5. louis wiltshire October 4, 2017 at 4:52 pm

everything about bogus bajan med schools may be found in one place at

does anyone at barbado today do ANY INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM? OR DO YOU JUST REGURGITATE BS FROM HERE THERE AND ANYWHERE

WUNNAH TINK WUNNA CAN MODERATE MORE THAN VALUEMD?