It’s up to Estwick, BWA management says

Management of the state-run Barbados Water Authority (BWA) is seeking to clarify its position in light of strike action this week by workers at the island’s lone water provider in support of their colleagues at the Caribbean Broadcasting Corporation (CBC).

At issue is the matter of increments, with the Barbados Workers’ Union (BWU), which represents workers at both statutory corporations, accusing Government of reneging on its agreement to issue across-the-board increases in both cases.

However, in a brief statement issued late last night, management of the BWA suggested that the matter was totally above their heads and that the decision was minister Dr David Estwick’s and the board of the water authorityto make.

The BWA, which last met with the BWU on September 19 this year, under the chairmanship of Minister of Labour Senator Dr Esther Byer-Suckoo, said the two sides had agreed to as much.

“It was recognized that the matter of salary adjustments, particularly for management, has to be dealt with at the level of the parent ministry – the Ministry of Agriculture, Food, Fisheries and Water Resource Management – through the authority’s board of directors,” the BWA said.

“This is necessary as the requested salary adjustments fall outside the remit of the BWA,” the statement added.

Back in March 2016, workers at the BWA downed tools for a week over the issue of increments. The standoff came to an end after the BWU struck an undisclosed deal with the BWA management following a six-hour meeting chaired by Byer-Suckoo.

The BWA also said it remained committed to finding a solution in the best interest of its workers, customers, suppliers and the country as a whole.

However,  BWU General Secretry Toni Moore told Barbados TODAY last week that just as in negotiations with the CBC, Government had reneged on its promise to the BWA workers as far as the payment of increments was concerned.

“At the present time it is safe to say that this situation has the potential to snowball,” Moore had stated before several workers at the BWA were called out on Monday to join the CBC workers on the picketline.

However, the limited action did not affect the country’s water supply, with the union today suspending all protest action, pending the outcome of its talks with the CBC’s management.

10 Responses to It’s up to Estwick, BWA management says

1. John Everatt October 5, 2017 at 12:33 am

Well the BWA did not fix the sewage problem in Worthing and Hastings as the sewage was all over the road there last night. The new person in charge of this stated over a month ago that the problem with the pumps had been fixed however the people and businesses in these areas can tell you that the stink is not over.
    Why can the BWA not be honest with the nation?

2. Loretta Griffith October 5, 2017 at 2:40 am

John Everett
    Too many square pegs in round holes.
    It’s time we call s spade a spade and get rid of the sycophants and obstructionists in these organizations.
    I have asked before and will continue to ask, what has become of LOYALTY? I am not speaking about blind loyalty but loyalty to whichever government is in office.
    I worked for an organization during the late sixty’s and was both loyal and productive. I was not a clock watcher did whatever I was asked to do that was honourable. I was the senior office employee and had a junior who was my senior in age (20 years different) and we agreed to seek better employment. I got an offer and decided to leave and she was supposed to do likewise, would you believe I tendered my resignation and the manager asked who would do the work and she told him she would? He called me into his office and said these words to me, you see how you let others influence you and now she is willing to take up the position you are vacating. He did not give her the job but asked me to rethink my position which I did. The moral of the story is you should be very careful how you let those who are senior in age to you influence your decisions.
    I rethink my decision and my first ever travel was recommended by the head office when they had problems with the office work in three Caribbean islands; I was the one sent to fix the problem and was praised by the head office (whites) for a job well done.

• roger headley October 5, 2017 at 8:49 am

???????

• John Everatt October 5, 2017 at 9:21 am

Yes Loretta, there is a lot of back stabbing here not only in government entities. Your story could probably be repeated by many employees. Sadly that is the way things work these days.

• charjoy October 5, 2017 at 2:52 pm

How is this relevant? Nonsense

3. Greengiant October 5, 2017 at 6:43 am

@Loretta Griffith: This attitude of deception is still very much alive within our public service, and statutory corporations to this day.

4. Milli Watt October 5, 2017 at 9:47 am

this shaping up nicely……..word of advice when wunnuh inflict the harm use garlic before the victim know what going on he gone lololol CBC down BWA to go. want to see better numbers this time people.

5. Native Bajan October 5, 2017 at 10:55 am

It seems as though the populist of Barbados are now living as a barrel of crabs environment! Everyone is looking to tear the legs off of the crab nearest the top of the barrel! Economy is down, productivity exports are ratioed some what like (9%/91%).What is commonly misleading the population that increases of salaries is going to put them in a better cost of living arena. Your tax bracket , home economics, and life style are the key indicators for a comfort zone. Those Barbadians who have created their cottage industries, farming produce, and craftsmanship shall see light at the end of the tunnel. Self employment seems to be the best way forward !

6. Ossie Moore October 5, 2017 at 1:47 pm

All I know is nuff pepper spray just land and I Ossie will be fishing off Coves Bay and enjoying de de pot fish catch! Wonna allrigt den! I gone!

7. Belfast October 5, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Doctor Estwick, who the hell is he? Any relation to Dr Booby or Dr Who? Is he still alive and drawing a big monthly ministerial salary and allowances.
    I tell ya!