An assault on women’s rights

Unborn Justice, a Christian pro-life organization, has stated through its founder Ms Kamille Martindale during a recent church service that women who become pregnant after being raped should carry the pregnancy to full term as it pushes its mandate to stamp out all abortions in Barbados.

What a statement! I strongly suggest that this very well meaning young woman and her group have meaningful and objective conversations with women and girls who have been raped and as a result became pregnant before seeking to rub salt in the physical, psychological and emotional wounds criminally inflicted on them by both the traumatic rape experience and the unwanted pregnancy.

Unwanted pregnancy drives abortion and this fact should inform the advocacy of this new pro life group. The prevention of unwanted pregnancy will certainly wipe out the demand for abortion and this is a far more realistic proposition for Unborn Justice than the one being espoused.

It must be admitted that Ms Martindale deserves some credit for having the courage to advocate for what she sincerely believes even if it is extravagantly simplistic and puts the unwieldy cart before the submissive horse.

There is an existing protocol which provides for emergency contraception, HIV and STI prevention treatment to be made available to persons who have been raped as soon as possible after the unfortunate event. At this stage there is no pregnancy or unborn child.

It is to be expected, however, that some women/girls can be so traumatized that seeking medical intervention is not pursued in a timely manner, hence the possible unintended pregnancy and/or full blown sexually transmitted infection.

The right to self-determination by women should never be trifled with or trampled upon and it is very sad indeed that a group of idealistic young women should be inadvertently seeking to do so in this 21st century world where women’s rights should be seen as sacred.

Hopefully as they mature and grasp a better understanding of the real world, they would come to the understanding that we live in a complex world where issues cannot be seen only in black or white but the many other shades in between that must not be ignored.

Our women and girls are not dumb, driven cattle who cannot think or make decisions for themselves and should therefore be credited with the right and competence so to do.

Source: (George S Griffith is a social development advocate and consultant)

21 Responses to An assault on women’s rights

1. Kami Dan
    Kami Dan October 4, 2017 at 11:36 am

But way them get this picture from wid 3 white women? Lol sorry thats the first thing i see lol i was thinkin overseas

• Gillian Skeete
      Gillian Skeete October 4, 2017 at 4:04 pm

Why they showing very pregnant women in the picture it should not matter what colour they are. Nobody would be able to have a choice at the stage these women are at!! So stupid!!!
      Woman’s rights! At least show women who are not almost ready to deliver!!!

• Kami Dan
      Kami Dan October 4, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Lol

• Gillian Skeete
      Gillian Skeete October 4, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Kami Dan you notice that too??

• Kami Dan
      Kami Dan October 4, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Yes lololololol i guess we all make mistakes lol but hey its the news it seems some of the articles dont get review before they get publish

2. Rubertha Blackman
    Rubertha Blackman October 4, 2017 at 11:40 am

I was waiting for the religious angle to show its true colors. I mention that element and was shot down on another thread about this same element. No religious group or order has the right to tell any woman what to do with her body. The right is solely hers why don’t these same champion of unborn rights talk to men to it takes two to tango. Instead they want to put guilt and shame on a woman who is facing her on internal issues. It never ceases to amaze me when women are the so called champions of guilt tripping another woman on her choices but gives the man a free pass.

3. Rubertha Blackman
    Rubertha Blackman October 4, 2017 at 11:43 am

So who is gonna tell this organization that we are intelligent and competent, they seem to think we are in the 1700s and need permission from our betters or men folk.

4. Dennis Connell
    Dennis Connell October 4, 2017 at 11:54 am

How about a talk with those who were raped..got pregnant and kept the pregnancy. ..sorta like a balance. .just putting that out there

• Gillian Skeete
      Gillian Skeete October 4, 2017 at 4:06 pm

And child most likely grows up being abused hated unloved by woman

• Gail Laughlin Maskell
      Gail Laughlin Maskell October 4, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Gillian Skeete you would be very surprised to,learn that the child is in loving family, there are many born to women with courage and I know one who ended up as the mothers only child, she got married and never had another child though trying for years. Don’t judge others. Who wants abortion that’s their choice. They have to live with the decision they make and it’s one that most regret. I have had the honor of counseling many women over the years and successfully saved over 100 lives, two I know for sure have are in medical school and feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to be able to help where I could. There was a doctor ( who no longer practices) that sent his patients to me before he aborted the baby, and they were very few after I met with them . So !!!!! Let’s agree to disagree you have your convection I have mine . I won’t Judge you that’s not my job BUT I WILL STAND UP TO THE BASHING OF THE PRO LIFE PEOPLE, LIFE IS,PRECIOUS AND EVERY CHILD DESERVES A CHANCE TO LIVE.

• Dennis Connell
      Dennis Connell October 4, 2017 at 5:05 pm

I hope you don’t think I am bashing the Prolife people. .I am not..I saw the column by the former Family Planning gentleman which suggests talking with women who were raped and got pregnant to see how they feel. .I thought it would only be fair and balanced to speak to women who were raped got pregnant and kept the child. I have my own stance on the issue but as the saying goes. .to each his own

• Dennis Connell
      Dennis Connell October 4, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Gillian I think some will be loved very much as well..

5. Miguel Griffith
    Miguel Griffith October 4, 2017 at 3:21 pm

This is at the heart of my contention. How can it be that these news outlets spreading propaganda about people.
    Unborn Justice can not make a woman do what she does not want to do. All I see is them giving women options. Plan Parenthood is do it every day.

If you want to know about the organisation go to their Facebook page.

6. Shelly Ross
    Shelly Ross October 4, 2017 at 3:25 pm

I wonder how many of the persons commenting here took time to find out about the work of Unborn Justice.

I fully support choice for all women but I also admire and support the work of Unborn Justice, because I know what they stand for and what they do.

To Kamille, you just need to ignore some people and work according to your truths and convictions. Great job and keep up the good work.

7. Peter Lowe
    Peter Lowe October 4, 2017 at 5:08 pm

What credit does she deserve???? For talking crap. She probably wanted to be heard and seen

8. Jason Patel
    Jason Patel October 4, 2017 at 5:18 pm

This girl is a sheep

9. Byrone Browne
    Byrone Browne October 4, 2017 at 6:41 pm

This rights-based organizations are confusing young ladies. Women nowadays are walking around with “grave yard pussy” because they kill so many babies inside their womb. All because they get caught up in this rights nonsense. They must be ashamed. Grave yard pussy is shameful.

10. Everick October 6, 2017 at 6:36 am

Ms. Martindale. That’s pure verbal Ebola.