Thirteen-year-old boy dies in road accident

A 13-year-old boy is this island’s 19th road fatality.

According to police, the teenager, whose name has not yet been released, was struck by a car driven by 59-year-old David Ash of Thorpes, St James. The accident occurred around 6:45 p.m., at Campaign Castle, St George.

Lawmen say preliminary investigations suggest that the victim disembarked a minibus and was attempting to cross the road in front of the minibus when he was struck by the car being driven by Ash, who was overtaking the minibus.

The teen was rushed to the state-run Queen Elizabeth Hospital but later succumbed to his injuries.

Police are continuing investigations.

The number of road deaths so far this year is almost double the total for 2016.

28 Responses to Thirteen-year-old boy dies in road accident

1. Kim Connell
    Kim Connell October 3, 2017 at 10:25 pm

So hurtful

2. Jai Khan
    Jai Khan October 3, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Just as hurtful is the way neighbours show no love or respect for each other at times like these. As this child lay bleeding, cellphones could be out recording his suffering and his mother’s heartbreaking wailing. Within minutes it was on WhatsApp.. Bajans need to do better than that. I’m so ashamed

• Marcia Chandler-Thompson
      Marcia Chandler-Thompson October 3, 2017 at 10:37 pm

This is so hurtful

• Asha Skeete
      Asha Skeete October 3, 2017 at 10:45 pm

There seem to be no HEART anymore. No one seem to be able to take the high road and say come on man put away the cell phones this is a CHILD lying here fighting for life . I just can’t get how our society seem to be losing all its moralities day by day . Its very sad and it’s frightening to think where we are heading .

• hcalndre October 4, 2017 at 12:54 pm

@Asha Skeete; my condolences to the family and friends of the kid that lost his life in the accident, anyone that is struck by a vehicle in Barbados today, don`t have a chance of surviving. Now there`s a problem with some people when pix of accidents are circulated on the cell phones in Barbados. I would like any of you to get hold of Tuesday, October 3 NY Daily news and see the carnage on the front page.

3. Leahcim Nohes
    Leahcim Nohes October 3, 2017 at 10:32 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

4. Patsy Yearwood
    Patsy Yearwood October 3, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Lord have mercy

5. Katrina Parris
    Katrina Parris October 3, 2017 at 10:37 pm

May RIP and rise in glory

6. Mhizz Jordan
    Mhizz Jordan October 3, 2017 at 10:59 pm

Society now so sad my his young soul be at peace

7. Linda Dear
    Linda Dear October 3, 2017 at 11:06 pm

This child has gone far to early,he had his whole life in front of him..This is beyond Sad to understand..Rest in peace little one..

8. Bajan October 3, 2017 at 11:07 pm

My condolences to the family.

9. Nickk Moore
    Nickk Moore October 3, 2017 at 11:08 pm

My condolences to his family

10. Lennox hewitt October 3, 2017 at 11:58 pm

I were at a accident scene had my phone n hand but still n do no recording of the accident i make call telling my friend that work at cero and he come end up he no the lady bottom line hate video tapping accidents unless i envolve then i use it for my lawyer .

11. seagul October 4, 2017 at 5:22 am

Minibus driver should be held accountable. This boy should not have been allowed to cross in front of the bus.

12. Sue October 4, 2017 at 8:36 am

Lord have mercy on our people for we are quickly losing our morals. My sincerest condolences to his family my heart grieves for his mum especially, MAY HE REST IN PEACE.

13. kathy-Ann Clarke October 4, 2017 at 8:42 am

Seagul, are you for real? The driver who overtook is who in the wrong, he should make sure all was clear before he overtook.
    I have seen too many accidents happen as soon as the person overtook the vehicle in front. So, suppose the minivan driver had driven off and left him to cross on his own, and he still got struck, what would you say? Will you then say that minivan driver should’ve made sure that he crossed the road before moving on ?

I don’t know how some folks does just jump to conclusions.

Some of us drivers does be too hasty, sometimes. I really feel sorry for the child, and how he lost his life, I pray for peace and sincere condolences at this time for the family.

• Barbados2.0 October 4, 2017 at 9:36 am

First and foremost my condolences to the family. I passed the location probably no more than a few minutes after it had happened and the feeling of tragedy and grief was palpable. I cannot imagine how the family must be feeling at the moment.

I have heard since hearsay that the driver might have encouraged him to cross, which, if true, would clearly be a contributing factor. I cannot agree that the overtaking driver is automatically a fault, they would not have been able to see around the bus and if someone were to step out right in front of you there would be little anyone would be able to to to avoid. Yes, we should all be cautious as drivers of stopped busses, and yes, this is also why as pedestrians you must always look both ways. It is easy to understand how someone (and I am not saying this is the case here as I don’t know) could assume that with the bus there on their right they only needed to look to the left when the overtaking car would have come from the right. There has also been a concerted public service campaign on the radio since the similar tragedy last year to not cross in front of busses for exactly this reason. I agree that the bus driver should have not allowed this and if indeed called him to cross, he would be partly responsible.

In the end, it is a horrible tragedy that another person has lost their life on our roads, and one so young with everything to live for. RIP.

14. lester October 4, 2017 at 9:19 am

JESUS HELP US, THIS ACCIDENT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED, AGAIN TEACHING OUR CHILDREN HOW TO USE THE ROAD IS CRITICAL TO THEIR SAFETY, #2 THESE PSV’S DOES DO SO MUCH FOLLY ROAD USERS HAVE NO RESPECT OR PATIENCE WITH THEM THEY DO TOOOO MUCH FOOLISHNESS, SO TO GET PASS THEM IS THE QUICKEST THING ON MOTORIST MINDS NOWADAYS, NEVERTHELESS THE DRIVER OF THE OTHER VEHICLE SHOULD ALS BEEN THINKING AND OVERTAKE WITH CAUTION, SO SAD. UP TIL THIS MORNING A ROUTE 10 ZR OVERTOOK ALL THE CARS HEADING TO PEOPLE’S CATHEDRAL SCHOOL ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD AND COLLIDED WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE UTTER NONSENSE, MY CONDOLENCES TO THE CHILD’S FAMILY AND SCHOOL MATES

15. Beulah October 4, 2017 at 9:40 am

Overtaking…..especially a minibus should b done with extreme caution….now all that hurry put a family to greive.you can’t overtake by guessing you have to be able to see ahead of you….obviously he couldn’t.

16. gsmiley October 4, 2017 at 9:46 am

It is unfortunate that this has happened. The youngster and all passengers for that matter who disembark a bus or minibus should always cross behind the vehicle. The oncoming motorist cant see them if the cross in front. No amount of flagging down by the driver will do. For one’s own safety cross behind and don’t depend on a driver to flag down anybody.

My condolences to the family.

17. GieB October 4, 2017 at 9:57 am

The PSVs need to advise their customers to wait until they have moved off to cross. Sure i heard that on a police advisory somewhere. I do not believe it is the driver’s fault as overtaking is his/her right. You cannot see someone who darts out in front of you from in front of public transportation. Sorry for this child’s family.

18. Loretta Griffith October 4, 2017 at 10:50 am

My sympathy goes out to the parents and family of this thirteen year old. Senseless death.
    After raising a child to reach this age, where I would say past the worst then for his life to be snuffed out like that, has to be heartbreaking to his parents et al.
    Stay strong!

19. Thunder October 4, 2017 at 10:50 am

My condolences to the family!

20. Rev. Winston S. Jones October 4, 2017 at 11:12 am

I extend condolences to the family of this child. As a driver, I have thanked God for the times I have avoided persons who walked out from behind and in front of buses in front of me. I left Erdiston Model School in 1979, and I was taught by the late Mrs. Maxine Holder, don’t cross behind or in front of a bus; wait until it moves so that you can see the traffic and the TRAFFIC CAN SEE YOU. This is why it is so dangerous for these drivers to call passengers across the road, thinking they are extending additional service to the passenger by ensuring they get across the road. I always knew one day something like this would happen.

21. Rifa009 October 4, 2017 at 11:30 am

So sad. It’s always best to cross after the bus has moved off. That’s why we must teach our children this important life saving practise. I honestly believe from all what I’m hearing, the driver encouraged the young boy to cross, at that time maybe no car was behind him, but it seems as though the driver may have been approaching the van, of course at some speed, and over took the van without stopping. It sounds like the driver saw him coming (after giving the boy the OK to cross) and then tried to flag down the driver to stop. But unfortunately, he didn’t. This is so sad.

22. Belfast October 4, 2017 at 6:18 pm

We have become a country without one shred of discipline. From top to bottom.
    Last week I encountered a Bob Tail truck (tractor unit without container trailer) speeding and I mean speeding, through a densely populated housing area in Ch Ch.

23. Askaki October 4, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Any driver who is overtaking a public service vehicle (including a transport bus) is without doubt fully liable for the death of a passenger who may be crossing the road after disembarking the vehicle. We should all be extremely cautious and slow down while making sure that no body is crossing when overtaking a parked public service vehicle.. I say fully liable because we must be aware that very small children may be crossing after disembarking from the park vehicle. When we see a public service vehicle parked, whether at a bus stop or not, common sense should tell us that live humans with blood running through their veins may be crossing after disembarking. Ten years jail time should be mandatory for causing the death of someone under such circumstances. It is also time that photographing helpless and dying people and posting on social media should be a crime with a mandatory six months jail time. But this is Barbados….

24. Hazel Reid October 5, 2017 at 2:35 am

My condolences to the family