Smith to get help with drug habit

A 20-year-old man was today transferred from HMP Dodds to the Psychiatric Hospital for an assessment.

On Wednesday, Antonio Daren Smith of Spruce Street, The City, St Michael pleaded guilty to possession of apparatus for the misuse of cocaine and was remanded to prison by Magistrate Douglas Frederick to reappear today for sentencing.

However, Smith, who was arrested by police on patrol on September 27 after a cracked bottle with white residue suspected to cocaine was found in his possession, made a formal plea for help to fight his drug addiction.

“I want to know if I can do something that could help me like Verdun House. I get addicted by a fella . . . I started by smoking marijuana,” Smith revealed.

However the magistrate informed him that he would have to spend three weeks at the Black Rock Hospital for an assessment to be made of his suitability for drug rehabilitation.

“That’s no problem Sir. Today Sir?” an anxious Smith asked.

He returns to court on October 20.

17 Responses to Smith to get help with drug habit

1. Veronica Wiggins
    Veronica Wiggins September 29, 2017 at 11:13 pm

Good Lord look at his face…..one so young and his face ravaged by drugs and a hard life.

• Joy Wharton
      Joy Wharton September 29, 2017 at 11:17 pm

Yup! he looks so weary. Drug addiction is no joke

2. Ashanda Coward
    Ashanda Coward September 29, 2017 at 11:52 pm

I know this young man and he went to school with my girls, my Lord look what drugs really do to people, I think he admitted to the judge before that someone gave him a blackie to smoke and that’s how he end up like that. Sigh

3. Ashanda Coward
    Ashanda Coward September 29, 2017 at 11:54 pm

I heard verdun house helps.them really well, why send him to the mental??? I don’t get it.

• Jai Khan
      Jai Khan September 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I guess we still see the Hospital at Black Rock as the madhouse, but it is so much more. The assessment there will help to determine how his drug abuse has affected him not only physically but psychologically too, and help to get him ready for Verdun

4. Jai Khan
    Jai Khan September 30, 2017 at 12:09 am

The road back will not be easy, but he took the first step by asking for help. I hope that after the assessment he will receive the help he needs

5. Mags September 30, 2017 at 12:56 am

I agree with you Jai. It’s okay for all to say send him to get the help but the first thing in getting the help is for the person to admit that they need help and and ask for the help. This is not the same with ninja. He never ask for help.
    I remember him from being in the YMCA car park on Mondays when I go to line dance and he would ask to wash the cars a real pleasant chap. Well I hope after his assessment at the psychiatric hospital I hope he will really get the help from verdum house

6. Kim Connell
    Kim Connell September 30, 2017 at 1:13 am

He really want help look how his face look poor thing

7. Catylne Fraser
    Catylne Fraser September 30, 2017 at 1:38 am

I know him ,he always calls me mum,no disrespect. Lord I hope he does get the help he needs,and he will be able to get regular baths and his feet needs some serious pedicuring

8. Yvonne Sealy
    Yvonne Sealy September 30, 2017 at 5:58 am

A face of anguish n despair… Lord I hope he can b helped… Sad

9. Ria Cassandra
    Ria Cassandra September 30, 2017 at 6:37 am

Sigh, Please help this young man

10. Carol Maynard
    Carol Maynard September 30, 2017 at 7:05 am

Have mercy on this young man renew his mind I remember him a mannerly young man going to school my hope for him that God will heal him

11. Rhonda Jordan Smith
    Rhonda Jordan Smith September 30, 2017 at 7:50 am

Smith Duáné

12. Claire Battershield
    Claire Battershield September 30, 2017 at 8:24 am

He needs working his ass off. All the drugs would sweat out his system. Then we claim drugs dont do yuh nothing..

13. Thunder September 30, 2017 at 10:26 am

This boy ask for help some people don’t, there is a serious problem with drugs among the young people in this country,but the first step is to admit that you have a problem,my prayer is that he will get the help he so desperately needs.

14. Smiles September 30, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Verdun house is not government owned, that is why he had to go to the Psychiatric for evaluation. He then has to be evaluated by Verdun to determine if he is a good candidate.. if he is and they take him, they cannot make him stay if he wants to leave and there are rules not like playing the “tail” down Black Rock cause he will get put out the programme. I he play the “tail” at black rock, they cannot put him out, cause the magistrate send him there. I see on a daily basis what drugs are doing to our young people. I sincerely, sincerely hope that he is not another young man lost to drugs.

15. kk October 13, 2017 at 9:43 am

gullible, gullible, gullible. Y’all too gullible. that boy know he can’t handle prison and i want wunna to know it is as easy as 1 2 3 to escape jenkins. lol