Technique ladies overcome Ellerton

Technique secured their first set of points in the 2017 Women’s Premier League last night with a hard-fought 3-1 victory over bottom-placed Ellerton at the Wildey, St Michael AstroTurf.

Prior to kick off both teams sat at the bottom of the standings having lost their opening fixtures and with a negative goal difference separating the sides. They knew that this match, which proved to be the first bottom of the league clash, was vital.

Both teams took to the field in the lone match of the night in front of a small crowd gathered at the turf.

The Technique ladies started the game in an extremely positive way, with excellent movement off and on the ball and were the beneficiaries of poor defensive marking from the Ellerton side.

As a result it didn’t take long for Technique to get their noses in front and take the lead. With exactly three minutes on the clock, Aziza Boxill latched onto a pass from the midfield and produced the game’s first goal, putting the ball beyond Ellerton’s keeper Princess Welch to make the score 1-0.

Ellerton’s Charlene James moving ball away from Technique midfielder Destiny Waithe.

That goal definitely changed the momentum of the match, shifting the advantage towards Technique as they began to play with confidence and flare, asking numerous questions of the Ellerton defence and causing their keeper to make several saves which proved to be pretty easy in the end.

Her opposition number in the Technique goal Tamisha Marshall was hardly ever threatened all night, thanks to Ashantia Brathwaithe and Mishcah Taitt at the heart of the back line making light work of every Ellerton attack spearheaded by captain Asha Stevenson.

Ellerton’s lone goal-scorer captain Asha Stevenson and Technique’s Denesha Griffith challenging for the ball in last night’s encounter.

On the offensive end, Technique continued to press on, putting together short passes in and around the field and switching the ball out to their pacey players on the flanks at times.

It had appeared that Ellerton weathered a wave of attacks from Technique through the remainder of the half, making it difficult for Technique to grab a second goal.

However right on the brink off half-time Shamanda Carter had other plans. Shante Hinds slid in a perfectly timed through-ball to split the Ellerton defence, and once she got goal side of the tracking back defender, Carter converted one of the easiest of finishes low to the keeper’s left corner making the score 2-0 at the break.

When play resumed for the second half, Technique was once again out of the blocks early, this time Hinds was on the end of a similar past which set up Carter’s goal. They were made to wait for the third goal as Hinds put her shot straight into the keeper’s hand, after doing well to beat the offside trap in which she had a clear goal-scoring opportunity.

Technique were definitely not happy with just a two-goal lead and continued to mount pressure on the girls from St George in search of their third goal.

That pressure resulted in Ellerton’s defender Onieka Harry handling the ball in the box, leaving referee Allana King with no choice but to award a spot-kick in favour of Technique.

Shante Hinds was looking to redeem herself after making a meal of a golden opportunity, to add her name to the score sheet. But when she stepped up from 12 yards custodian Tamisha Marshall denied her entry with a brilliant save to the right.

Ellerton continued to fight as the game got into its latter stages but careless defending would see Hinds again with a one on one chance. However it was the same result, she failed to keep her composure in the final third putting the ball wide and letting Ellerton off the hook yet again.

Technique failed to capitalise on a number of chances and Ellerton turned defence into attack in the dying minutes of the allotted ninety, which resulted in them being rewarded with a penalty which captain Asha Stevenson placed into the back of the net to set up a nervous climax.

After fighting so hard to get a goal back, Ellerton were caught napping in the final minute of stoppage time, when a miscued clearance fell to Hinds and this time she got her goal from close range to cement the 3-1 win.

The result means that Ellerton remain bottom of the league while Technique move to fifth but that could change tomorrow if UWI Women defeat Mavericks at the Usain Bolt Complex.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *