After 39 convictions, Hunte tells court he wants to kick the habit

A “well known shoplifter” who had 39 previous convictions failed to secure a reprieve today despite telling Magistrate Douglas Frederick he had been trying to kick the habit.

Fifty-eight-year-old Anthony St Clair Hunte of Headley’s Land, Bank Hall, St Michael was sentenced to three months in jail after he admitted to attempting to steal two packets of ham worth $10.60 and a jar of peanut butter worth $8.99 from Saving Plus on September 21.

The court heard that a security guard had seen Hunte picking up the items yesterday afternoon, but after losing sight of the shoplifter for a few minutes, Hunte emerged with the items nowhere in sight.

After he was approached by the security guard he removed the packets of ham from his back pocket and threw them back into the fridge. However, it was only after police were called that the peanut butter was discovered.

Twenty-nine of Hunte’s previous convictions were for dishonesty, and although he told Frederick he had tried to turn things round, the  records showed that his last offence was committed last year when he stole perfumes from Duty Free Caribbean.

“I had put all that behind me. I made a bad error in judgement,” Hunte said.

“When the [prison] bus roll in I see all the young fellas that come down and I tell myself that at 58 I just don’t want to be there. I got a rude awakening this morning and I know that I can help myself,” Hunte said as he pleaded for leniency.

However, the magistrate told him that “old habits were hard to die” and that he felt Hunte could not resist, as he was a “well known shoplifter”.

He advised the convict he “can’t do your old trick” anymore because technology was evolving and there were camera everywhere, and while he might be on the right track he still had a long way to go.

“It seems like you just can’t help yourself. I hope three months in jail will change your ways,” the magistrate told Hunte.

20 Responses to After 39 convictions, Hunte tells court he wants to kick the habit

1. Jai Khan
    Jai Khan September 22, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Is this a case of shoplifting addiction or kleptomania? The Magistrate may have hit the nail on the head in saying he can’t seem to help himself, but will the time on jail change anything or does he need help. For someone his age to be engaging in that behaviour for so long it may be more than that he is just a thief.

2. Veronica Wiggins
    Veronica Wiggins September 22, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Seems like someone kicked his teeth in and out.
    You’re too old for this now pops.

3. Michael Crichlow
    Michael Crichlow September 22, 2017 at 11:25 pm

Has been given a psychological assessment or we intend to incarcerate to deem him just a
    pub·lic nui·sance

• Elaine Van Huis September 24, 2017 at 6:06 pm

good point. Was he hungry, or is he stealing for stealing sake.

4. Lwayne King
    Lwayne King September 22, 2017 at 11:32 pm

I see no help for the poorer class old are young ones all they do is keep us in jail with no help sometimes a man is really need help but with all the bad he did it will be always bad judgement from the world

5. Lwayne King
    Lwayne King September 22, 2017 at 11:34 pm

The generation curse will never die only a wise man will understand mi

6. Hazel Harrison
    Hazel Harrison September 22, 2017 at 11:52 pm

58 ru sure

7. Janet Bishop
    Janet Bishop September 23, 2017 at 12:08 am

Trying to kick the habit? Give me a break! People like him are recidivists and will always repeat their stinking ways!

8. Anfaani Henry
    Anfaani Henry September 23, 2017 at 12:48 am

i glad i doan use ham though

9. Jonah Banks September 23, 2017 at 2:50 am

I’m sorry but he must be older than 58, you must mean 78!

10. Keith Forde
    Keith Forde September 23, 2017 at 4:42 am

HE SURELY NEEDS HELP,

11. Cheryl Chandler
    Cheryl Chandler September 23, 2017 at 4:45 am

Too old for that behaviour,Try living for God and see how sweet it is.

12. Renice Blinky Prescod
    Renice Blinky Prescod September 23, 2017 at 4:59 am

Kiambu Haynes Darren Corbin i hope i dont ever have to encounter him in life. I would refuse he in a heartbeat

13. Nol Queen
    Nol Queen September 23, 2017 at 6:13 am

You want to kick the habit ,it nt going to be easy but you have to really try u cannot do at alone,I need help .I pray that God well help

14. Jeff King
    Jeff King September 23, 2017 at 7:05 am

I know him well..he is 58..very educated..had a wonderful family.ex wife still teach ..kids went to one of the older secondary school. A very good technician…drugs…..

15. Susan Maynard
    Susan Maynard September 23, 2017 at 7:20 am

He need to stop , at eighty- eight u got to start to no God man

16. jenny crichlow September 25, 2017 at 2:26 pm

This man looks like 80 years,he must have had a hard life,it is a waste of time to send him to prison,he needs help.

17. BOBO THE SAME CLOWN September 25, 2017 at 7:39 pm

You would look 80 too if after 39 tries trying to kick de habit. Lol. If i was he i woulda have pled that your honor ‘”I Make it A Habit” That would sound more like it .

18. BOBO THE SAME CLOWN September 25, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Woulda give him some credit though. If the man could keep trying 39 times ….I call dat perseverence… My School Teacher always told me that if i wanted something i had to persevere .The English Language is at times hard to Fathom.