Mum weeps

. . . as young son is remanded to jail

A mother was reduced to tears in the District ‘A’ Traffic Court earlier today when her son was remanded to HMP Dodds on gun and ammunition charges.

Twenty-year-old Chad Joel Hunte of Merricks Road, St Philip was charged with possessing a firearm and 20 rounds of ammunition on September 4, without a valid licence.

The unemployed man was not required to plead to the indictable charges, nor was he required to plead to the charge of possessing cannabis on the same day.

“Ma’am, is it possible that an attorney-at-law can be assigned to me from the state?” Hunte asked when told that he would be remanded for the next 28 days.

Acting Magistrate Sandra Rawlins said it was possible and advised the young man to have his family contact legal aid.

“And, can I get it [the case] fast track to the High Court?” he also asked, to which he was again informed that his family could take care of the necessary arrangements through a lawyer.

Hunte’s case was transferred to the Oistins Magistrates’ Court where he will appear on October 5.

But as he left the court his crying mother said: “I talk to you . . . next time listen.”

9 Responses to Mum weeps

1. Janette reifer September 8, 2017 at 1:47 am

Trouble don’t set up like rain. Hard ears you wouldn’t hear. Own way you will learn.

2. Carl September 8, 2017 at 6:22 am

This is the thing. You didn’t hear mommy and went and got into trouble. Well, now that you want help, call on your partners.

3. Thunder September 8, 2017 at 7:38 am

Yet another young man with his life weighed in the balance, my prayer is that Chad Joel Hunte during these 28 days you will decide to turn your life around,because it isn’t worth it,you are only 20 years old,and look at the life you have chosen.
    Why were you caught with cannabis,20 rounds of ammunition and a firearm?I plead with the church to target these young men,the devil is destroying the lives of our young men,and we must be determined to save them,church isn’t just about worshipping it is about going into the streets and saving souls.
    However Chad I want you to know I will be praying for you,and I have the faith you will do better,because inspite of what you have done I see good in you,but next time please listen to your mom.

4. Heather Headley Corbin September 8, 2017 at 7:51 am

The good of all this is that his mother has been vindicated. I have a son the same age and he is the product of much abuse and a broken home, but I caution him. Your attitude will determine your altitude. If you hang on to the negative and run with the wrong crowd then you will meet your own fate. Turn your life around Chad Hunte. Turn your life around. Those who encourage you to do the crime, never help you to spend the time.

5. Tammy September 8, 2017 at 8:06 am

At least we know this mum talked to her son.

6. Nickk September 8, 2017 at 8:48 am

‘Hard ears yuh won’t hear? Own way yuh guh feel’…..goes the saying.

7. Debbie reynolds September 8, 2017 at 10:28 am

I feel the pain of the mom. I also feel sorry for this boy and his silly mistakes. I have been there and it’s not easy
    What I would say is please stop blaming the moms some do speak to their children. We continue to swear that after speaking to them and they still land themselves in trouble we have nothing to do with them , but in truth its our flesh and blood and while not agreeing with their deeds parents still fall apart. Its hard on parents please have some consideration
    All of us dont encourage children to do evil and believe me sometimes parents are the last to know whats going on

• ch September 8, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Thank you. Many parents do their best but children make their own decisions.

8. Veda September 8, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Chad, I hope you pull your life together. It is sad what is happening to our young black brothers. Whenever one of them fall at the hands of a gun we are loosing our black race and generations of family members from each individual.
    Instead of churches giving themselves credit who is better, we as Christians should be praying ceaselessly for the youth, government and the country.
    May God Bless Barbados!