‘No-ball not deliberate’

Barbados Tridents captain Kieron Pollard has insisted the now infamous no-ball that prevented St Kitts and Nevis Patriots batsman Evin Lewis from getting to 100 in Sunday’s Caribbean Premier League (CPL) first round finale was unintentionally bowled.

In a sensational performance against the Tridents, the young Trinidadian cracked booming boundaries to all parts of the Kensington Oval ground, ending with a scorching 97 from just 32 balls.  However, needing one ball to win and just three runs short of what would have been a well-deserved century, Lewis faced compatriot Pollard for the final delivery of the innings.  Striding down the wicket the big all-rounder overstepped the crease on the delivery causing the game to end on somewhat of a sour note.

Although firmly insisting that it was simply not in his nature to lob-up an easy delivery for the in-form batsman to whack away, Pollard insisted he had all intention to bowl a legal ball.

“I’m not one to just sit back and allow people to rule over me or the team I play for.  Once I step on to that cricket field it’s a completely different individual that you will see,” Pollard told SportsMax Zone.

“When I took up that ball on that last delivery I had one thought in mind, trying to bowl my best delivery, what has been working for me throughout the tournament, a short delivery to see if he would have a waft at it and it would go up in the air and we could get him out,” he added.

“Although we would have lost the game I was still thinking about getting him out and using my strength what I have been doing.

“Unfortunately striving for that extra I stepped over the marker and I think that has been the talking point of what actually happened the actual no ball itself,” Pollard said.

The bowler pointed to an instance earlier in the match where he had bowled another illegal delivery, but it had little impact.

“When we look at in the first over striving for that extra I also bowled a no ball it wasn’t intentional nothing was intentional at any point in time.  I had a free hit, he hit it for six.  It wasn’t a problem.”

The debate has raged on following the incident with some calling for sanctions against the player for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Source: (Sportsmax)

9 Responses to ‘No-ball not deliberate’

1. Angela Griffith
    Angela Griffith September 6, 2017 at 7:44 pm

I believe you

2. Peter Lowe
    Peter Lowe September 6, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Yea right….you never score runs against Trinidad, that’s not deliberate either

3. Valarie Rock
    Valarie Rock September 6, 2017 at 8:59 pm

They say cricket is a game of glorious uncertainties.

4. Puppa Weekes September 6, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Why are we surprised at Mr Pollard’s no ball,this is the same gentleman that pretended he was trying in many of those ODi losses.

And we are now shocked at this behavior,unfortunately this behavior has been there for a while, we just turned a blind eye when he derailed those ODis

• harry turnover September 7, 2017 at 7:38 am

Pollard you pretending that this one wasn’t deliberate too ? man you are not even a good actor for this is the latest in a series of play acting stunts that you have failed MISERABLY in.
      Remember the dropped ?? catch in the IPL some time ago ? the T20s and the ODIs where your pretense was EVIDENT ,the selections of the Tridents team from the year after they had won the CPL and how you performed for them after that..how you DISRESPECTED CORNWALL on the field the other night and the other things that I cannot mention here.
      You should also be INVESTIGATED for possible MATCH FIXING in some of those matches too if I had my way

5. Peter Lowe
    Peter Lowe September 6, 2017 at 9:55 pm

The captaincy needs to be taken from Him.

6. Saga Boy September 7, 2017 at 2:29 am

I don’t believe him

7. Ric September 7, 2017 at 8:54 am

Not a Pollard fan but I had no problem with bowling a deliberate no-ball. We need to stop playing sports like sissies.

8. Mark My Word September 7, 2017 at 4:18 pm

Bouncers are deliberate, why not a no ball
    No real real cricketers here, just a bunch of Sissies complaining
    Run way wunna Sissies go wash de wares