It was self defence, says Bipat

He argued a case of self-defence but that was not enough to keep Guyanese national Dheneshwar Bipat from being remanded to HMP Dodds for the next 28 days.

Bipat, who has had no legal status in the country since August 25, 2012, is accused of unlawfully assaulting Hamenauth Sarendrnauth on August 4, occasioning him actual bodily harm.

“I don’t know what he accused me of but we fight,” Bipat, who was living at Taylor’s Land, Bank Hall, St Michael, told Acting Magistrate Sandra Rawlins in the District ‘A’ Traffic Court this morning.

“I had to defend myself. He hit me first and I hit him after that.”

However, prosecutor Sergeant Vernon Waithe argued against Bipat gaining his freedom on the grounds that he was a non-national who arrived in Barbados in September 2008 on a work permit that expired seven years ago and he had not regularized his status.

Waithe said based on Bipat’s lack of status in the island, it was the prosecution’s fear he was a “flight risk”, and would not reappear on the appointed court date to answer to the charge.

Asked whether he had anything to say with respect to bail, Bipat responded: “I have no idea.”

He was then remanded until September 27 when Sarendrnauth is also expected to appear in the No. 1 District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court.

11 Responses to It was self defence, says Bipat

1. Veronica Wiggins
    Veronica Wiggins August 28, 2017 at 11:00 pm

You’re illegal. Is it too much to ask that you stay out of trouble?

2. Shane Francisco Giles
    Shane Francisco Giles August 29, 2017 at 4:53 am

Wait so thy all of these non Nationals still here the government needs to address this problem

• Robert Goren August 29, 2017 at 6:33 am

Too many Guyanese and Jamaicans are in Barbados and they do not respect our island. They criticize Barbados and Barbadians yet they believe it’s their right to come here in droves to live illegally or engage in prostitution.

Just walk pass outside the Cheapside market on Thursdays to Saturday and you would see several Guyanese selling produce, while Barbadians are paying rent for market space.

Or visit the old Fairchild Street market and you would see several illegal Guyanese and Jamaican bars constructed there.

And before you begin to cuss and accuse me of being xenophobic, I suggest you read the online papers of Guyana and Jamaica to see the disparaging remarks they make about us and our island.

3. BIGSKY August 29, 2017 at 5:37 am

The immigration department treat Caricom nationals like animals and though I am a Bajan,I am not pleased with how we treat our brothers and sisters from the region.With that said I understand people coming to work to help their families and so forth but,do it the right way.

4. Sharon Woolley
    Sharon Woolley August 29, 2017 at 6:26 am

Forget Dodds just deport and ensure he stays away

5. Donild Trimp August 29, 2017 at 9:12 am

@ Robert Goren –
    I totally agree with you.

I have been advocating for the deportation of all the illegal Jamaicans, Vincentians and Guyanese from Barbados for sometime now.

The authorities are turning a blind eye to this serious problem and if it is not addressed sooner rather than later, Barbadians of all stripes will live to regret it.

The Barbados economy is too small to support this influx of illegal
    men and women. Facts are facts and the truth hurts.

Please deport them.

6. Pat BB
    Pat BB August 29, 2017 at 10:06 am

What d hell is Bajans problem with non nationals being here?? Wonna does sound so ignorant, I’m sure some a wonna Great grandparents ain’t Bajans, they came here from other Caribbean Countries, we r all connected in some way or the other SOOOOOOOOO WHAAAAAATT?? It is 2017 get to frig over it already..
    Wonna making wonna selves look stupid..

Boy try to stay outta trouble when traveling to other countries, that goes for ALL BAJANS LIVING ALL OVER THE WORLD AS WELL….sigh

• Robert Goren August 30, 2017 at 3:11 am

Pat BB

The 98% literacy rate has just been reduced.

Please re-read your comments and you’ll have a better understanding of who “sounds so ignorant” and who is making themselves look stupid.

7. Bill August 29, 2017 at 2:16 pm

That’s the same point Donald Trump is trying to make with regards to immigration

8. gsmiley August 30, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Robert Goren are you aware that a prostitute is only a prostitute if she /he has clients? if someone is buying their ware.

Who are the purchasers?

Bajan men?

Just asking.

9. gsmiley August 30, 2017 at 8:01 pm

On that note Robert are you saying then that only local prostitutes should be allowed? Are you saying that prostitution is okay for locals?

I am trying to get you.