CARIFESTA to officially open on Sunday

Minister of Culture Stephen Lashley today announced minor changes to the programme for the 13th edition of the Caribbean Festival of Arts (CARIFESTA XIII), as a result of the passage of Tropical Storm Harvey.

The storm, which caused damage and flooding in some parishes while passing the island in the wee hours of this morning, forced the postponement of the opening ceremony, which was originally scheduled for this evening at Kensington Oval.

Following a meeting with stakeholders this evening at the ministry’s Haggatt Hall, St Michael office, Lashley announced that the opening ceremony would now take place on Sunday at 5:30 p.m. at the same venue.

“With the passage now of the storm we have been able to regroup and discuss the next plan of action. The  . . . the actual schedule has not been terribly disrupted, but we felt that we can plan and execute the opening ceremony and with the least disruption as possible,” he told a news conference, while stating that other minor changes would take place as the festival went along.

Lashely said the pre-show would now be held at 4:30, with the opening parade taking place an hour earlier.

“The route, we leave of course Queen’s Park, Nelson Way, St Michael’s Row, Broad Streets, Jubilee Gardens, the General Post Office, Fontabelle, onto Kensington Oval,” Lashley said, while giving the assurance that provision and accommodation would be made for the parents of children taking part in the event.

Because of the storm some delegates did not arrive on the island as scheduled. However, Festival Director of CARIFESTA Andrea Wells said about 85 per cent of the delegates had already arrived here, and a number of those whose flights were cancelled had indicated that they were able to reschedule their flights and would arrive in time for the opening.

“Jamaica’s delegation, some are on the ground. They are coming in a staggered way. Some of them have been stuck in Jamaica and some are hoping to get on other flights. Some from Suriname had to overnight in Trinidad because of connecting flights were cancelled because of the weather system,” Wells said,

“I would say that 85 per cent of our expected participants are here or have called to say they are coming on delayed flights. So people are still very enthusiastic about the festival, so they are not making anything stop their plans.”

Other changes to the festival include the rescheduling of the heritage tour of the Rock Hall Freedom Village monument in St Thomas from this Sunday to Sunday August 27.

The cultural policy and intellectual property rights workshop will take place on Sunday, August 20 at the Cave Hill School of Business from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Lashley said there will be a shuttle for persons from that event to Kensington Oval.

The youth village at the Barbados Community College will take place at 9 a.m. on Saturday, August 18.

There were no changes to the other events.

Lashley said he was satisfied that there was a lot of interest in the festival, which will see more than 500 events taking place over the ten days.

“We have issued quite a number of tickets. We expect Kensington Oval will be full capacity,” the minister said.

One Response to CARIFESTA to officially open on Sunday

  1. Philmore August 19, 2017 at 12:47 am

    Great news to read just minor changes to the Carifesta and powers watch over Barbados Harvey did not do any real damage to the island and Harvey passed before the start of Carifesta

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *