Garbage scheme faces further setback

At least one private waste hauler has pulled out of a deal with the state-owned Sanitation Service Authority (SSA) over a lengthy delay in payment for garbage collection.

Truckers, who last October reached a deal with Government to help clear mounting garbage, recently complained they had not been paid for several months, with the SSA owing in excess of $1 million.

Minister of the Environment Dr Denis Lowe admitted to Barbados TODAY on the sidelines of Friday’s Social Partnership meeting at the Hilton Barbados Resort that “there have been some challenges recently in the area of pay”, but the issue was being sorted out, and the waste haulers were well on the way to receiving the outstanding monies.

However, Managing Director of Project Recycle Anderson Fat Child Cherry today confirmed that neither he, nor the other waste haulers had been paid.

This notwithstanding, he was quick to point out that he was understanding of Government’s financial position and he was committed to working with the SSA in these difficult times.

“My company has not called the Sanitation Service Authority to ask about payment. We believe that when it is ready they will call. I know another waste hauler who has decided to pull out of the programme because he was not paid . . . because of cash flow issues. I think they have been calling Sanitation all the time asking about what’s going on and there is no word about payment.

“But as I say, [my companies are] willing and committed to wait for their payment.  [Although] we need the money and we need it really badly, the health of the country is more important that anything else. There is the ZIKA virus and a lot of vector-borne diseases going around . . . with so many Sanitation trucks broken down, we want to help,” Cherry said.

An official of another company also confirmed to Barbados TODAY that his company also had not been paid and was holding out for payment.

The official, who did not want the company named, also suggested that the SSA was finding itself in a similar predicament to last year, when an inadequate supply of vehicle to service the country led to overflowing receptacles and huge piles of garbage littering streets and sidewalks.

It was those problems that led Government to agree a scheme last October with Project Recycle; Williams Liquid and Solid Waste Management; Garbage Master Limited; Simpsons Trucking Skip Services; and Forde’s Freighting and Rental Service Limited to improve the island’s waste collection.

The deal was for six months in the first instance at $411 per hour, but was later revised to $300 per hour, VAT inclusive.

During a row with the truckers in February over the revised fees, Lowe had suggested that while the programme had been useful in terms of assisting the SSA with waste collection, it might have run its course.

He also explained at the time that the SSA was in a position to sustain between 20 to 24 trucks on the road daily.

On Friday, the minister told Barbados TODAY the almost 50-year-old SSA had evolved, as had its needs.

He noted that the equipment that the waste collection agency used to service the island 20 to 30 years ago was all but obsolete.

“The truth is, yes, it has been difficult and it has been a challenge, but we are working on it.  I think we are closing in now on hitting the issue head on.  We had promised that before we plunged into buying trucks that we would try to get a sense as to where the country has come and how the needs have changed.

“We were fortunate to have an arrangement with the government of South Korea who came in and helped us to do a waste assessment, [and] a fleet assessment study as it relates to the increase of routes. As you know, Barbados continues to develop. There are new neighbourhoods coming on stream almost every day and that also put more pressure on the authority.”

Lowe said studies had been conducted and the results submitted to Cabinet, and a debate would soon follow in Parliament on the findings of the reports.

Barbados TODAY understands that there was to be a meeting with the various stakeholders, this evening to address the outstanding issues.

ryangilkes@barbadostoday.bb

33 Responses to Garbage scheme faces further setback

1. Ali Baba
    Ali Baba August 15, 2017 at 12:36 am

CHEERY U R NO, COW/BIZZY,TEMPRO/MALONEY/ BJARKHAMN/ DASILVA…LUCKY IF WANNA GET PAY

2. Arthur Collymore
    Arthur Collymore August 15, 2017 at 12:42 am

When will we as a country understand that this DLP admin, particularly this minister, seeks DEM interest only. He’s more concerned with making deals than he is with running an effective ministry. Nothing over which he has responsibility works, save his inclination to increase his bank balance.

• Farjana Mohamed
      Farjana Mohamed August 15, 2017 at 1:06 am

Wait come out things…one of them had a big birthday bash at the constituency office in January..you feel he getting paid?

• Adrian Reid
      Adrian Reid August 15, 2017 at 2:43 am

He is that man right hand man

• Farjana Mohamed
      Farjana Mohamed August 15, 2017 at 2:53 am

Is it the case of I rub your back and you rub mine?lol

• Ali Baba
      Ali Baba August 15, 2017 at 7:59 am

ARTHUR, WASN’T THAT SSA BUILDING TENDERED FOR 25MIL $$$? WAS ONLY BUILT TO GROUND FLOOR, WAS STAGNANT THERE FOR YEARS WITH THE CRANE OVER IT, THEN WASN’T AH 20MILL BORROWED TO PUT IT WHERE IT IS NOW?…..I WONDER AS I WONDER

3. Judy Skinner
    Judy Skinner August 15, 2017 at 1:08 am

You just knew this was going to happen.

• Dwayne Sealy
      Dwayne Sealy August 15, 2017 at 4:24 am

saw it from the get-go … dismal failure still gets a monthly salary

4. Angus Benn
    Angus Benn August 15, 2017 at 1:55 am

Every month Mr Lowe getting his salary from the government.

• hcalndre August 15, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Angus; only time the politicians make a scene for money is to get the 10% re-instated, but since then no problem with their checks going into to their account every month plus the freebies, not even a late one, they should be the first to feel the pressure.

5. Ricardo August 15, 2017 at 2:20 am

Well, I live in st. Peter and I missed the yellow and white trucks, so I figured the men aint get paid hence the garbage in my area.

6. Sheldine Dyall
    Sheldine Dyall August 15, 2017 at 2:51 am

I have to put up with a sewage problems.
    I have to put up with a collection problem.

7. Carol Grant Cumberbatch
    Carol Grant Cumberbatch August 15, 2017 at 4:11 am

These wicked people that Governing us.

8. Nikki Bayley
    Nikki Bayley August 15, 2017 at 4:26 am

I have a idea…..why not use the NEW Mercedes Benz to help collect the garbage

• Maxie Taylor
      Maxie Taylor August 15, 2017 at 7:11 am

Excellent idea. And the garbage already driving around in it, will be dumped first at Mt Stinkeroo.

• Ali Baba
      Ali Baba August 15, 2017 at 7:42 am

THAT WOULD BE FITTING, BECAUSE GARBAGE IS BEING CHAUFFEURED AROUND IN IT EVERY DAY

9. Tamina Darkies
    Tamina Darkies August 15, 2017 at 5:47 am

Only setback is the ministers who all bout helping themselves

10. JasonC. August 15, 2017 at 5:56 am

Oh my Lord, as I said before. Reading about this country’s status and this government has become so depressing. What is really going on in BIM?
    It’s like everything falling down one time under this administration, who seems to be blind to the fact that this country is sinking and sinking really fast….

11. Farjana Mohamed
    Farjana Mohamed August 15, 2017 at 6:06 am

But wait who in their right mind will pay them $3200 per day plus vat…smh them could have fedex some garbage trucks in.

12. Danny Colombian Clarke
    Danny Colombian Clarke August 15, 2017 at 6:17 am

As others have said I saw this happening from day 1 . This government got ppl waiting years n years for tax returns . Where the millions to pay these waste haulers would have come from. And yes it’s millions because it’s been going on for months now and by all reports it’s not cheap .

13. Randolph August 15, 2017 at 6:57 am

I hope when the government changes that there will be a commission of enquirer into Lowe’s wealth .A piece of jail time will put him in his element.

14. Alex Alleyne August 15, 2017 at 7:24 am

Family, remember I said “he up next”? . Look out for the Tourism Minister soon cos it’s his time to pull the straw.

15. Michael Turton
    Michael Turton August 15, 2017 at 7:29 am

RESIGN !!!!! You have made a mess of a mess

16. A Boyce August 15, 2017 at 7:31 am

Why would the Minister request information from South Korea? Was this a free service?
    I don’t understand, don’t we have any brainy Bajan who can give this government no kind of advice?
    Are our technocrats so backward that we have to seek outside interventions for advice on routes and disposal of garbage?
    May the Lord have mercy on us.

There are more questions than answers. I rest my case.

17. Itz Queen
    Itz Queen August 15, 2017 at 7:41 am

Father have mercy,these doctors killing de country

18. Andrew Simpson August 15, 2017 at 8:10 am

One of the simple ways that all Barbadians can contribute toward building the National economy is by participating in an effort to regenerate waste. There are so many benefits to be derived, not least the foreign exchange to be earned directly from items exported and saved through preservation of valuable resources. Apart from conservation (volume reduction and reuse of organics through composting) which will enhance local food security (jobs) and decrease forex outflows for food imports, recycling will also create enterprise opportunities, save landfill space and associated costs while adding to the greenness of our lifestyles from stated climate change participation goals and tourism product marketing standpoints. Why is it that MoE cannot grasp this ideology and implement environomic policies to support.

19. Farjana Mohamed
    Farjana Mohamed August 15, 2017 at 8:19 am

Be careful how you commenting because one of those private haulers that was the right hand to the minister may run to his lawyer down fontabelle for a letter to stop us from commenting.but look let the things come out.too much money getting pass and people bragging how much them making.

20. Keith Forde
    Keith Forde August 15, 2017 at 9:04 am

MINISTER LOWE IS A COMPLETE FAILURE.

21. Milli Watt August 15, 2017 at 9:29 am

this recycling should have been developed from the house hold and not at the level of Williams, Cherry and Lowe. All of them got their own selfish agenda. It is being encouraged by a defunct administration with the victims being the bottom feeders.

22. Milli Watt August 15, 2017 at 9:32 am

Remember when profits were questioned in the industry and Cherry had a fire at he place. Remember Williams boast that he getting paid if the garbage goes to st. thomas or in a gully, Remember when Lowe had to share his life savings with other siblings…………….REMEMBER!

• hcalndre August 15, 2017 at 11:14 pm

Mill Watt; I heard about lowdown and the sharing, but was it life savings?

23. Anderson Cherry August 15, 2017 at 9:32 am

I totally agree with you Mr Simpson you need to have a meeting with Dr Lowe I think I would be helpful for the country.

Why did we need to go to South Korea for advice?

Can someone please read my proposal that I submitted over a year ago or would it only be implemented when it get in you know who hands , it’s time to give one of your owner a chance . When will we as a people wake up .

24. Anderson Cherry August 15, 2017 at 9:56 am

Milli watt let it be known me and Dr Lowe is no friends or me and Mr Willams , I respect both of men for they achievements and I think both have they flaws s so am I . What I can tell you about me is that I am promoting separating at source and recycling for this country. Mr William an I are both businessmen and we see thing different so as the minister. I see waste diversions as the way forward and some see collections and disposal as they main focus.