Panty fight

customer and Store manager trade blows

A young St Lucian woman who entered a lingerie store on Swan Street earlier this week to make a purchase, got more than she bargained for.

Danvela Emmanuel, who was in Barbados on vacation with four friends, told District ‘A’ Magistrate Kristie Cuffy-Sargeant that she ended up suffering a wound to the head after she got into a verbal dispute with the store manager, 32-year-old Janeil Tranette Christopher of Reservoir Road, Lodge Hill, St Michael.

During the heated exchange, Christopher allegedly threw a “scotch tape holder” and a staple machine at the visitor who said she had entered the Bridgetown store around 5 p.m. with her friend and after finding the undergarment that she was searching for, decided to purchase it.

Her friend, who wanted a similar panty, wanted to try on the piece of lingerie, after the purchase.

It was then that they reportedly turned to Christopher, who was operating the cashier machine, for assistance. However, she was apparently busy conducting a card transaction for one of two other customers.

After waiting for “15 minutes”, Emmanuel said she decided to ask the cashier whether she could pay for her purchase in cash as she had exact money.

“She told me to wait,” Emmanuel said.

The St Lucian visitor then turned to her friend and said in creole; “after we waiting so long she is rude in her mother ***.”

It was then that Christopher informed Emmanuel that she had understood what had been said, and two women began trading insults in creole.

At that point that Emmanuel decided she no longer wanted the garment and “threw it on the counter”.

“I walked away and felt something hit me to the back of my head. When I turned around and looked on the floor I saw the scotch tape holder. I picked it up and sent it back at the cashier, but it miss,” she told the magistrate.

“My friend then came and pushed me and a staple machine came flying right next to us,” she added.

On exiting the store, Emmanuel realized she was bleeding and reported the matter to police.

As a result, Christopher was charged with unlawfully and maliciously wounding Emmanuel on August 5.

During a lengthy cross-examination by Christopher’s attorney Vonda Pile on Wednesday, Emmanuel was adamant that even though she threw the garment on the counter while it was still on its hanger, she never hit Christopher. However, she did admit to asking for her item to be cashed before two other customers who were ahead of her.

Her friend and witness corroborated her story.

However, when the case resumed in the No.2 District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court this morning the St Lucian visitor, who was scheduled to take the stand for a second time, was a no show.

The matter, which is being prosecuted by Station Sergeant Glenda Carter-Nicholls, was therefore adjourned until November.

56 Responses to Panty fight

1. Mark Rosmar August 11, 2017 at 6:19 am

Does it take a genius to figure out what has happened here?

2. Empress-kei Kei
    Empress-kei Kei August 11, 2017 at 6:42 am

It is ya own St. Lucian living in Bim that hit you.

3. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner August 11, 2017 at 7:09 am

Guess ya could say panty raid.

4. Rosan Als
    Rosan Als August 11, 2017 at 7:20 am

No one realise she said her friend try on the panty

• Sharon Taylor
      Sharon Taylor August 11, 2017 at 7:38 am

Wa I was shocked! I thought that is what started d ruckus!

• Marva Lashley-Todd
      Marva Lashley-Todd August 11, 2017 at 9:11 am

plus she tell she bout she mudda

• Jai August 13, 2017 at 6:51 pm

Thought I read, she wanted to purchase so her friend can try it. Maybe I misunderstood.

5. JoJo Clarke
    JoJo Clarke August 11, 2017 at 7:36 am

I tell ya… come out tings !!!

6. Cherylann Bourne-Hayes
    Cherylann Bourne-Hayes August 11, 2017 at 8:11 am

Said she threw it on the counter. Then the girl there the scotch tape holder at her.

7. Tiffy Curls
    Tiffy Curls August 11, 2017 at 8:14 am

Shanee’ Nurse

8. Shana Vanderwolf
    Shana Vanderwolf August 11, 2017 at 8:25 am

Store manager and customer exchange blows? Well I had to read this over again cause I can’t see where blows were shared all the saw was the manager throw a tape holder which struck the customer and she threw it back. Then the Manager threw something else which missed the customer. Her friend then pushed her out the store and it was there she realize her head was bleeding. Stupes blows what

9. Melissa Griffith
    Melissa Griffith August 11, 2017 at 8:26 am

First of all I have been shopping at this store for years and the lady I usually deal with is very polite I never once would consider to try on a panty ??????? Is the woman mad and then becoming irate for rules place by the owners it should of been me.

• Melissa Griffith
      Melissa Griffith August 11, 2017 at 10:21 am

so you are telling me that your at work and a lady comes to attack you and you will take the attack because u are at work? The method that was chosen was not the best but most of the people who are commenting never had any such experience.

• Melissa Griffith
      Melissa Griffith August 11, 2017 at 10:23 am

mostly hypocrites to me cause i dont care who you are you could be the pope if I’m at work pleasant and humble and any one comes to attack me and put me in any danger you will wake up in QEH and I say so.

10. Lady-Stylez Pilgrim
    Lady-Stylez Pilgrim August 11, 2017 at 8:28 am

Waittttt you fit panties???

11. Alisa Wilson
    Alisa Wilson August 11, 2017 at 8:40 am

Hope you don’t shop at Victoria secret when/if you travel

12. Rawle Spooner
    Rawle Spooner August 11, 2017 at 8:45 am

Another question why is anyone allowed to try on underwear that is not something that should happen because of hygiene reasons.

13. The Negrocrat August 11, 2017 at 8:55 am

So she wid she musty crutch expect to try on a panty. Next she would be trying on dicks.

14. Adina Isalene
    Adina Isalene August 11, 2017 at 9:00 am

Analicia Jade ?

15. Cyan Jada
    Cyan Jada August 11, 2017 at 9:06 am

She sounds like a bully all the way. Glad the store owner speaks creole and understood her… smh!

16. Marva Lashley-Todd
    Marva Lashley-Todd August 11, 2017 at 9:11 am

She should not have thrown it in the first place and after telling the propietor about her mother. Thatt is what bring the row. How people know it did not hit her? They should not have tried on the panty either.

17. Marva Lashley-Todd
    Marva Lashley-Todd August 11, 2017 at 9:12 am

maybe she did not know because she was dealing with customers

18. Sweetpea Banfield
    Sweetpea Banfield August 11, 2017 at 9:13 am

But the person should know better tho but i get where u coming from

19. Phoenix Sevyn
    Phoenix Sevyn August 11, 2017 at 9:17 am

Excellent service everytime I go in there. As a female know your size, who tries on undies anyway. I know the young lady who works there don’t play but I can’t see her hitting the woman for no reason……story sounds shaky on the visitors part. Furthermore how could you want to pay for an item ahead of persons who are before you in the queue?

• Kim Haynes
      Kim Haynes August 11, 2017 at 11:22 am

I lived in St Lucia for 3 years and I am now back in Barbados and have still not gotten over the culture shock of how they do things. I never tried to buy a panty from there but I know in general they are very unhygienic people. Just how they keep their food for sale, the amount of flies they have on their pastries and breads in the bread shops, how they dispose of their garbage, would deter me from wanting to buy anything that personal. And YES, when you are in a queue their first instinct is to get through before you, when you are out shopping in stores looking at items, they come and stand right in front of you to look at the same item, no excuse me, no nutten and YES the first thing they like to do is break out in their Creole to cuss and insult yuh. I had to let them know that I don’t understand Creole so they ranting and raving means nothing to me. Bear in mind that not all are like that, but I found it to be in the majority.

• SamJoe Joseph
      SamJoe Joseph August 11, 2017 at 11:33 am

Unhygienic? hmmm

• Cecily Jones
      Cecily Jones August 11, 2017 at 11:47 am

Kym Reigns except that she didn’t try on the panty. Her friend did.

20. Kym Reigns
    Kym Reigns August 11, 2017 at 9:29 am

Ya does try on panties in a store? This is the most worthwhile charge I ever see, cos I would buss she ass if I wasn’t so short and peeny too! Frigging nuisance.

21. Kym Reigns
    Kym Reigns August 11, 2017 at 9:30 am

Even if it didn’t hit she, what right she had to want to try on a panty, to put she frowsy seat in a brand new panty. That alone mek she deserve the licks

22. Eleanor Harewood
    Eleanor Harewood August 11, 2017 at 9:59 am

That is why i always shop here in New York before i come home for personal items like that , you will never catch me in town buying no panty and even if i had too, i would never dream of getting in any thing with any one , if there is a problem , i would rather gently leave the item there and go some where else , no need for all of that , i just feel this woman went there looking for trouble but i am happy the store manager knew what she was saying, it is obvious the woman came into Barbados for trouble .

23. Marva Straughn
    Marva Straughn August 11, 2017 at 10:22 am

Who goes to a store n try panty…….stupesss is that done in st Lucia….and if it don’t fit do wht with that …..theses ppl

24. Jan Gibson
    Jan Gibson August 11, 2017 at 10:23 am

One will never know all to this story but my belief is that it started because of the panty. It is store policy not to try panties. Who would want to touch them. Certainly not! Trouble makers who took the devil on vacation with them.
    I pray the store owner will get over it very soon. She is always give pleasant service.

25. Amelia Gittens
    Amelia Gittens August 11, 2017 at 10:53 am

man sometimes the headlines are blown out of proportion tho, you see blows bout there get doa smhhhhhhhhhh pelt hey pelt there push out and thats was the end, but nobody aint see the friend nastyyyy want try on apanty who does do that fisrt thing you buy take home and wash before wear tho, lol she thought we aint had no Lucians bout hey understand wah she say them come bout place and cuz we bad in them launguages and thought we aint know wah them say hahhah lol funny

26. Krystal Moise
    Krystal Moise August 11, 2017 at 11:00 am

I wudda had she dragging by she head tho…..how she wan tek off a panty she had on all up in she craw and thennnnn pelt it on a counter and feel she right ? Omgggg loook

27. Kathy August 11, 2017 at 11:14 am

Where in Barbados can you go shopping and try on underwear of any sort. They don’t even want you to try swimsuits. As a matter of fact I don’t know any place in the world that allow customer to fit undergarments before purchase. Something just don’t seem right here.

28. Onenonly Beckie
    Onenonly Beckie August 11, 2017 at 11:34 am

Barbados today I really would like to know why you never post your stories right. It makes one wonder if you does be sleeping when court going on or if you just lie to get more followers….

29. Mandy Unforgetable
    Mandy Unforgetable August 11, 2017 at 11:35 am

I don’t know where customers get off thinking customers always right. Stupse!!!!

30. Kay August 11, 2017 at 11:46 am

So wait….. she friend tried on the panty? So where that frowsy panty now? Trying to jump ahead of customers n starting a noise cause you were told to wait….. look we dont operate so here… she is quite lucky all she got was a knock on the head with the tape dispenser…. i was not gonna take that so lightly i kid u not

31. Cecily Jones
    Cecily Jones August 11, 2017 at 11:50 am

People. Learn to read properly. It was the friend that tried on the panty and the store manager would have been well right to let off because once somebody try on a panty then that can’t sell. The trying on issue is a separate thing

32. Sadly August 11, 2017 at 11:52 am

Sadly, in every country, sometimes you have a few that escape and do stupidness.

Notice the friend tried on the panty. The anger was misdirected.

33. Chad Hunte August 11, 2017 at 11:57 am

I am a Saint Lucian and this whole story sounds weird. I too have never heard of women trying on Panties in Saint Lucia. Further it is very rude of the customers trying to jump the line then disrespecting the woman after they did not get their way. I would like to apologise for their rudeness and their actions do not reflect the behaviour of most Saint Lucian women.

34. Bernard Pinder
    Bernard Pinder August 11, 2017 at 12:01 pm

What kind a witchcraft is this trying on panties in stores this is a first.

35. Mubarak Nakhuda
    Mubarak Nakhuda August 11, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Nadege Atkins

36. Janette Reifer
    Janette Reifer August 11, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Take a good look at her face. Wait panty ying expose?

37. Arlita Strose
    Arlita Strose August 11, 2017 at 1:23 pm

I purchase my undies from there always professional ….I’m sorry this has happened we still Love You……de bathing suits in there is the Bomb

38. Arlita Strose
    Arlita Strose August 11, 2017 at 1:26 pm

I speak patois and never been to Lucia….lesson to all those who come to someone’s Country and try to disrespect… This is to everyone…. Show respect

39. Bernard Mccollin
    Bernard Mccollin August 11, 2017 at 1:29 pm

We as BAJANS needs to think about the comments we make on FB , people world over read these comments & think that we are not intelegent & as respected as we are supposed to be

40. Veronica Wiggins
    Veronica Wiggins August 11, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Because she was a visitor she couldn’t wait her turn? Even in the hospital you have to wait sometimes it’s life and death and some die waiting.
    The customer is NOT ALWAYS RIGHT.

41. Sheryl Smith August 11, 2017 at 1:36 pm

Look how “All of them panty exposed” with their bad ‘behaviours’.
    Can someone translate their creole for me please?

42. Julia R Crawford
    Julia R Crawford August 11, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Maria C Yarde

43. Colette Felix
    Colette Felix August 11, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Julia Marlene Francis is true,but in all honestly I have felt to cuss off staff in St Lucia quite often, I find that unless you’re white, Caribbean ppl don’t offer any form customer service

44. debera brown August 11, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Is this a Barbadian taliking about st.Lucian unmannerly (LOL) & how dirty their are frying pan telling frying pan how black he bottom is (LOL).

45. KathyAnn August 11, 2017 at 5:17 pm

This is quit sad, please note no one know the true story beside the person and God.
    1. You should never try on underwear and the fact that happen shows the store does not have enough staff to assist person because someone should see that.
    2. It is not a national thing but a general thing people hate to wait long and therefore she should have just wait her turn or leave.
    3 it is the woman mouth if the lady did hit her she was wrong in everyday yes words do hurt but if she touch her first she is going to get wrong all around.
    4. I am not saying we must let people say and walk over us I am saying we must be professional with all persons rude, kind all one there have not touch you.
    5. I saw some note talking down people nationality as a Bajan I am ashamed of this fact most of us Bajan have the world to say about other countries but some of us behavior is the same. I lived aboard in different country for sometime and st Lucia is one of does places and there are very clean people but yes in ever country there have unclean and bad behave person so it’s not a country thing but a people thing.
    In a nut shellif she hit the lady she wrong no matter what if that woman died from head injury later because we don’t know people conduction she will get charge for murder, we need to wake up people it is her mouth, you should not hit someone for that she not her child.we too thin sick in bim some of you will agree some will disagree to each there own blessings.

46. anonymous August 12, 2017 at 10:54 pm

the issue is not the panties. what the customer said to her friend shouldn’tgive the manager the right to pelt the tape holder at customer. she could have told them if they cant wait they can leave. remember it was stated that they were waiting for a period of time and felt that they haveing exact cash would made it easierso they could leave and not realizing what she saidto her friend the manager understood and the manager already had an attitude. there are times when the customers are not always right.i have been in that place and i have told the customer that i would not attend to them with that attitude and they can leave.

47. Katoure August 13, 2017 at 6:49 am

But it said she wanted to try it on after the purchase … so she never actually tried it on cause she never got to purchase